Grouping Movies (Multi-Version)

dual-o

swroger

Yup, the manually grouped movies being both in and out of collections issue.

I did check the Github issues and didn't see it, but my github-issue-fu is not strong.

Yes there should be no problems with the upcoming 4.2 release. Thanks.

• 9 months later...
jsc1205

I'm having issues with multi-version's of a movie.  I have double checked the naming convention and it matches the emby instructions and have also checked to ensure all the ID tag for TMDB matches in all 4 versions.  But emby continues to break all 4 versions into 4 separate movies.  Folder structure is as follows:

FOLDER: 

The Phantom of the Opera (1925)

FILES: 

The Phantom of the Opera (1925) - 20 FPS Version.mkv

The Phantom of the Opera (1925) - 1925 SD 6mm Version.mkv

The Phantom of the Opera (1925) - 1930 Sound Version.mkv

The Phantom of the Opera (1925) - 24 FPS Version.mkv

Thanks for any help you can provide

Happy2Play

I'm having issues with multi-version's of a movie.  I have double checked the naming convention and it matches the emby instructions and have also checked to ensure all the ID tag for TMDB matches in all 4 versions.  But emby continues to break all 4 versions into 4 separate movies.  Folder structure is as follows:

FOLDER: 

The Phantom of the Opera (1925)

FILES: 

Thanks for any help you can provide

I will test with your example, but I suspect this anything after " - " it not true.  I would suspect it is the labels you are trying to apply.

What other items are in the folder?

jsc1205

I will test with your example, but I suspect this anything after " - " it not true.  I would suspect it is the labels you are trying to apply.

What other items are in the folder?

Those 4 files are the only things in the folder

Happy2Play

@@Luke

Can we get some clarification as there are restrictions following the " - ".  The example in 28 will not auto multi-version.

Each version must begin with the folder name, followed by " - ".

If using the dash method anything following the dash will be what you see in the Emby client app.

jsc1205

@@Luke

Can we get some clarification as there are restrictions following the " - ".  The example in 28 will not auto multi-version.

If using the dash method anything following the dash will be what you see in the Emby client app.

Just checking to see if this was figured out yet, thanks

jsc1205

Try removing the year from the version name after the dash.

There is no year after the dash.  The files are labeled like this:

Emby is not grouping under one movie but different versions.  It is separating them each out as a separate movie.  Any ideas what to do and how to fix this and getting it working correctly?

Happy2Play

That would mean there has to be clarification on what this means then if there are restrictions.

Right well it's not intentional, it's just a tricky case that is currently not working correctly.

jsc1205

Right well it's not intentional, it's just a tricky case that is currently not working correctly.

I even relabeled the files like this.....

The Phantom of the Opera (1925) - Remastered20 FPS Version.mkv

The Phantom of the Opera (1925) - SD 1925 6mm Version.mkv

The Phantom of the Opera (1925) - Sound 1930 Version.mkv

The Phantom of the Opera (1925) - Remastered 24 FPS Version.mkv 

......and still doesn't work and still breaks each of them out as a separate movie.

Happy2Play

I did not find a way with really any version of that naming scheme that would work.  They could be manually grouped via multi-select though.

jsc1205

I did not find a way with really any version of that naming scheme that would work.  They could be manually grouped via multi-select though.

How is that done?  Thanks

• 2 months later...
darkmark

Hi all,

Landed here whilst also struggling with this. I think I've followed the naming rules but have an odd case where one of the versions is multipart.  Thought I'd post here as another example;

Folder

The Lord of the Rings The Return of the King (2003)

Files :

The Lord of the Rings The Return of the King (2003) - 1080p HEVC-part1.mkv
The Lord of the Rings The Return of the King (2003) - 1080p HEVC-part2.mkv
The Lord of the Rings The Return of the King (2003) - Extended Edition 1080p HEVC.mkv
The Lord of the Rings The Return of the King (2003) - Extended Edition 720p.avi

Result - 3 "Movies":

The Lord of the Rings The Return of the King (2003) - 1080p HEVC-part1.mkv
The Lord of the Rings The Return of the King (2003) - Extended Edition 1080p HEVC.mkv
The Lord of the Rings The Return of the King (2003) - Extended Edition 720p.avi

No mention of -part2 in the file details section of of -part1

@Luke : Thanks for the tip. Using the multi-select tool and group gets them all into a single multi-version movie with 3 files listed in file details section.  Still no sign of -part2 though.

This is not the only Movie I'm seeing this with. Let me know if you need another example.

Have you tried to play that file normally to see if it automatically loads part2 for you?

darkmark

@cayars Just been through playing -part1 (should have tested with a shorter film!) and emby stops at end of -part1 and returns to menu. Still no sign of -part2

As a aside, film duration doesn't seem to be updated when browsing versions.

I just looked at your files above and don't think it will work if using those files.

If you look at the knowledge base article: https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159102-movie-naming

Split video files (file stacking)

The following are default stacking extensions that can be added to file names. # can be 1 through 9 or A through D. Stacking is supported for video files (but only when each video is in its own folder as in the example below) as well as dvd and blu-ray folder structures.

• part#
  • cd#
  • dvd#
  • pt#
  • disk#
  • disc#

You can also use:

• moviename#.ext

Where # can be A through D.

Examples:

\Movies\Avatar (2009)\Avatar (2009)-cd1.mkv
\Movies\Avatar (2009)\Avatar (2009)-cd2.mkv

===========

So if you have other "versions" mixed in with the split files it might not allow split files.

darkmark

So trying to make it easier for the scanner by pulling the two single-file versions up a level;

Movie (2003)/Movie (2003) - 1080p HEVC-part1.mkv
Movie (2003)/Movie (2003) - 1080p HEVC-part2.mkv
Movie (2003) - Extended Edition 1080p HEVC.mkv
Movie (2003) - Extended Edition 720p.avi

Produces 3 non-versioned films with part2 being shown as an "Additional Parts" to the part1 copy. However no version information on any.

Grouping these manually (multi select and "group versions") produces 3 versions where version is the filename.  part2 is shown as "Additional Parts" to all three.

(BTW There appears to be no "ungroup versions" option?)

Trying a slightly different layout, in an attempt to keep files all in the same place;

Movie (2003)/Movie (2003)/Movie (2003) - 1080p HEVC-part1.mkv
Movie (2003)/Movie (2003)/Movie (2003) - 1080p HEVC-part2.mkv
Movie (2003)/Movie (2003) - Extended Edition 1080p HEVC.mkv
Movie (2003)/Movie (2003) - Extended Edition 720p.avi

This results in possibly the best compromise so far, with two entries created;

1) Entry with two versions

2) Entry with -part1 and -part2 listed under "Additional Parts"

Deathsquirrel

That is a lot of effort to make a non-recommended structure work.  Honestly, just combine the two parts with MKVMerge.  It's a much better solution to the problem.  It takes seconds.

darkmark

@Deathsquirrel Love the name !

In this case I probably will just merge. However I've continued, and documented, in a effort to clarify what's recommended and what will work, for those that follow.  

Personally I'd like to find a solution, or compromise, as I also have many old split files which have been generated over last 20+ years captured from sources where multiple physical media was common (VHS/VideoCD/DVD).  I dread to think about the array of formats used over the years and how they'll respond to being merged.  I'm guessing the stuff from late 90's is probably MPEG1 🙂

The problem is you're not doing what's recommended so Emby is sort of stuck.  Split part files need to be the ONLY media files in the directory to work.  Multi-version files can be stacked but doesn't work with split files.

So either manually add the part2 and treat it like a version, or manually combine the two part files (easy) into one assuming they have the same codecs.

• Like 1