DLNA on panasonic

kmed27

Are there any instructions on how to setup a dlna profile?

I looked on the help page but it says coming soon 2015.

I thought it would be nice to get emby working on the bedroom (in case we are ill etc), the television is an 8 year old Panasonic TX-P50VT20B.

It shows the thumbnails at the side of the video but when I try to play them it just goes into large coloured static squares with no sound.

I did wonder if it was too old to play the videos so I installed Synology Media Server to try, at first the panasonic just said un-playable on all the videos.

I then went into the settings and just tick all the boxes to transcode everything and they all seem to work and play -- BUT I would like to use them through emby as the media server only shows actual folders whereas Emby shows tv shows, collections, movies along with played, unplayed etc which is way,way better.

So, I know it can be done, I just don't know what to do in Emby profiles to get it to work.

I am also unclear as to whether it should be the Panasonic vierra profile or the general profile as when I connect to it nothing shows on the dashboard to say it has connected or playing - not sure if it should or not?

One thing I should say, is that in media server the format shows as "VIDEO" when you select one where in Emby it shows as "MPEG2-TS", which according to the panasonic manual it should be able to play?! but doesn't!

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have managed to get it working; eventually :) .

It took me a few days of messing about with it and then I found I had to directly edit the xml files to get anywhere!

On the Synology software, it took 5 minutes to get it working.

I am not surprised no-one came back as it is pretty awful, especially with a total lack of information about it.

Yes :D , it now transcodes most things and seems to be working really well with everything that I have tried, it even works with 3D movies as well; which surprised me.

Nothing shows up in Dashboard though, it doesn't seem to indicate that a dlna player has connected (yet it knows the profile is being used as you can see it in the logs) - not sure if it should or not?

Also nothing gets marked as watched etc, again, not sure if it should?

Can you explain what did you do to make it work, please?

Thank you!

A lot of it was trial and error.

But in the end, I found that removing mkv and mp4 from direct play profiles forced the transcodeing but I also removed mpegts from response profile and just left ts there as the Panasonic doens't like like TS even though it says it can handle it in the manual.

I then played with max stream rate until I got a stable stream, I think I ended up with about 250 million (too high or low caused it not play very well).

Hope this helps you.

• Like 1

Tried the dlna for real last night and they are playing great but @@Luke is there anyway to get only un-played to show, that is in the series folders it shows all not just the ones that havn't been watched yet.

Also, after watching an episode, should it mark it as watched?, last night, I had to go on the computer to find which episodes are next to watch; watch a couple from different series;

then go back on the computer this morning (trying to remember which) and mark them as watched.

Thanks

We don't have those kinds of filters in dlna.

Tracking playback at this point will only work with newer devices supporting newer features. We still have work to do to make it work with all devices.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought it would be nice to get emby working on the bedroom (in case we are ill etc), the television is an 8 year old Panasonic TX-P50VT20B.

It shows the thumbnails at the side of the video but when I try to play them it just goes into large coloured static squares with no sound.

Following post will hopefully show that I'm trying something similar for almost 2 years and 20 releases. 

We can see that long URI can be opened in VLC. Additional problem for TV is encoding of &

From that we can conclude that it is better to use shorter URIs without many not needed parameters in case of direct streaming. There is no need for Device ID and profile if any device can receive/request much shorter URI which could contain only file name. 

A lot of it was trial and error.

But in the end, I found that removing mkv and mp4 from direct play profiles forced the transcodeing but I also removed mpegts from response profile and just left ts there as the Panasonic doens't like like TS even though it says it can handle it in the manual.

Any transcoding is not desirable in this case. That was only beginning of delicate issue.

TV will simply refuse to play anything without or with wrong meta data such as:

bitrate 3xxxxxx(only 6 digits is much real)

duration 00:mm:ss.xxxyyyy(where y should be removed)

size 0(TV should receive real file size)

Edited by Thex