Using metadata Aspect Ratio in Kodi?

lockdown571

lockdown571

I've been trying to figure out a solution to get 'scope' movies to playback on my 21:9 monitor without black bars (madVR seems to be the only solution so far). I was reading this thread: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24094-what-format-does-emby-server-want-for-movie-aspect-ratio/, and it seems like it might be possible with Emby & Kodi. Is this still supported in either the Emby for Kodi add-on or EmbyCon? 

For instance, for Fate of the Furious I have the aspect ratio set in my Emby server to 2.39:1 (per IMDB's 'technical specifications' section for the film). In Kodi, using the Emby for Kodi add-on with the Nox skin, in the pre-play info screen it says the video is 21:9. When I hit play, it still displays with black bars though on all four sides. When I press the info button while the video is playing, it says the aspect ratio is 16:9. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

lockdown571

Hmmm. Per that link I provided, Angelblue05 said: 

"This will be fixed next beta version (1.1.30). It will take into consideration the metadata aspect ratio before falling back to the file aspect ratio. The format you should be using is the following 1.85:1 (just an example, as long as it's separated by ":" it should display as you want it, in Kodi."

I seems Angelblue05 was referring to Emby for Kodi here. Granted it is an old post. Maybe Emby for Kodi used to support this functionality?

Angelblue05

@@lockdown571

It was indeed for the value displayed in the interface, not how Kodi plays back content. I'm not sure if there's a way to fix this. If you setup a regular kodi instance and import your movie the regular way, does Kodi behave correctly and plays without black bars?

lockdown571

Ah I see. Makes sense. Even when importing the regular way, it still doesn't crop the black bars. After all these years of development, it's a shame Kodi still can't auto-crop black bars, especially considering every single blu-ray and UHD disc ever made is encoded as 16:9 regardless of the source's original aspect ratio.

Edited by lockdown571

Angelblue05

I think if you change the AR after playback starts in the player osd > video settings, the next time you play that same title it should be remembered. The only thing is that type of info is local to Kodi, so if you ever reset, then you’d lose those remembered settings.