Help about TV naming convention for unconventional TV shows with new server 4.0

grazza2a

grazza2a
Hi all, I could do with some advice from users who may have found ways to sensibly name and store TV shows that don't easily fit in to the Emby naming structure.

Confession time - I've never truly got to grips with the TV Show option when setting up Emby and as a personal compromise have stuck to the Home Videos and Photos folder structure instead. Prior to Emby server 4.0 this worked quite nicely, affording me a degree of flexibility about where extras could be stored. Emby previously merged multiple folder locations so that content was just one list regardless of where stored - providing a seamless user experience. Since the 4.0 update, the user now has to choose a folder location to find a TV show (see screenshot) - meaning they would need to either take the time to browse or have prior knowledge of where their show could be physically found.

So, I thought I would go back and rebuild the TV Show libraries using the correct option. I like the work you guys have put in to this and to be fair it now is a lot closer to the user experience I always wanted.

Unfortunately, some shows still don't easily fit into the Emby naming structure. Let's take classic Doctor Who as an example. Fans will be aware that these are starting to get season blu ray box set releases. However, (IMO) classic Who doesn't really suit being stored in season collections. Stories over multiple episodes are often self contained within a season and the extras are unique to that story. My folder structure mirrors this. See screenshot as an example. So, I'm happy to rebuild my folder structure if users could provide some useful tips to help Emby list episodes and extras correctly (they are currently mixed together with some missing altogether). Although, putting all extras for shows like this into a single extras or Season 00 folder isn't something I want to contemplate. I'm aware my season numbering of episodes may not make sense but in the home and videos folder view - it didn't seem to matter (it made sense in my head as I don't usually associate classic Who within seasons).

Or - if I'm asking far more than Emby can currently deliver, could the way the folder view merged content from different locations be reinstated and I'll return to my previous way of storing TV shows?

Any advice gratefully appreciated. Hope this all makes some sense.

5c447b0cced42_ExampleCurrentFolderStruct5c447b2a92265_ExampleFolderStructureUser

paulsalter

Doctor who is similar to other show, just multiple episodes makes up a story and multiple stories within a season (quite common for UK shows), the best, imo, way of doing it is sticking with the Season/Episode numbers provided by tvdb

https://www.thetvdb.com/series/doctor-who/seasons/19

So for your above, the Main show folder needs to be Doctor Who (1963) instead of Doctor Who (Classic)

Then take out the extra folder under the Season

Doctor Who (1963)

-- Season 19

---- Doctor Who (1963) - S19E01 - Castrovalva (1).mkv

---- Doctor Who (1963) - S19E04 - Castrovalva (4).mkv

---- Doctor Who (1963) - S19E05 - Four to Doomsday (1).mkv

Are the specials official episodes or just extras from the disc?

Edited by paulsalter
  • Like 2

I have these setup EXACTLY as paulsalter above.

This is just the way I personally do TV Shows:

In a nutshell I keep all of my TV Shows in a format that EXACTLY ALWAYS matches this

\TV Shows\Series Name (Year)\Season #\FileName.mp4 (or mkv).

I do that without exception.

I use Filebot to lookup and rename the files properly.

Looking at your layout I can see you have stuff nested deep unlike myself.  Not saying that's wrong or anything but I don't do that.
\Bluray_03\BLURAY TV Series 02\Doctor Who (Classic)\Season 19\Castrovalva\Extras\files
  • Like 1

Sounds like you're using a home videos library for this. What paulsalter and cayars are suggesting above will allow you to use a TV library.

• Like 1

grazza2a

Thank you Luke, PaulSalter and Cayars for the advice. Yes, the specials are the dvd / blu  ray extras specific to each story. I haven't used Filebot before but now aim to get to grips with it. It looks like a very useful tool and I'm keen to build the correct TV library instead of keeping to my workaround.

Much appreciated.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...