LiveTV M3U streams stop playing after a few minutes

toxic0n

Hi, 

Any IP stream I play, usually somewhere between 2 to 10 minutes, it just stops. I can restart it right away with no issues. 

I have tried on the Xbox One app, via the browser and by casting from the Android app to my Chromecast. The same stream works fine in VLC or when I use a plug in for Kodi. Recording streams works perfectly in Emby. 

I have tried with the "Auto loop stream" setting on and off. I also tried forcing transcoding on the Xbox One app. I have tried hardware transcoding enabled/disabled.

Here are the logs of my latest attempt to watch via the browser

Log.txt

ffmpeg Log.txt

Hi, that's strange. There's nothing obvious here. Can you provide a log example with the auto loop option enabled? thanks.

AxelAxel3

This happens quite frequently for me on Chromecast, but I haven't really tried it on anything else. I have reported it a few times as well.

I did a fresh Emby install in a docker container and had the same issue. It's so strange, it records everything fine, plays recorded shows fine. However, if I try to watch a show that is still recording, I have the same issue as Live TV - it just randomly stops playing with no error message or anything.

I have sufficient space on my hard drive and can't think of anything else. 

• Like 1

AxelAxel3

So me and my wife was sitting and watching a Live TV show casting it from my Android device (using Beta android app) to my Chromecast. This is a HDHomeRun Connect Quatro OTA channel. We are about 43 minutes into the show without an issue (very proud at this point). I then pause it for a minute to take care of my kid real quick (about 2 minutes behind live). Come back, play it for about 2 minutes then it goes black. Can't play it, pause it, skip, fwd, nothing. just a black screen.

So I think hey, just recast it. Well now it has to re-buffer 45 minutes of the show before I can get back to where we was because the app doesn't let me skip to live. So I think oh well, ill just suffer through it and wait for it buffer. About 5 minutes of skipping and guess what? it goes black again. In fact, it does it about 3-4 times again (just goes black while playing) until I finally gave up.

Attached are my logs. Not sure which ones are which, so I just attached all of then since I started watching the show.

EDIT: Found it its a two hour show, so I didn't want to wait until the end.. I tried it again - It happened again. Going to attempt it in the web interface to see what it does.

logs.zip

Edited by Darkstyrm

Another data point. I installed Emby Theater on a spare laptop and have no issues watching Live TV from the server.

The issue seems to be limited to Xbox, browser, Chromecast and Roku clients. Hopefully that helps

I just finally got to testing your stream. I've had it going in the web app now for 15 minutes, no problems.

Yeah, it's definitely something with my server. Since the same issue occurs in a docker container as well, the only thing I can thing of is some sort of a strange intermittent hardware issue. I don't know why Emby Theater on Windows plays the streams fine from the same server. Any suggestions?

AxelAxel3

I didn't have any issues with web browser, but like I say, it played fine on my Chromecast for 45 minutes then wouldn't play for over 5 after that. I have been reporting the issue for the last couple months with Chromecast (it's what I use 90% of the time).

And I have had the same issue with two different HDHomeRun models and the streams play fine in the HdHomeRun Android app.

And if I am playing a finished recording, it will work 85% of the time. But if it's live streaming (even if I am playing a recorded one that is still recording) then it only works about 25% of the time on Chromecast. However, I've found that often Chromecast will loose audio and it just be muted more often on a recorded video.

A lot of bugs with live TV/Chromecast.

Edit: not trying to jack OP's topic here, just trying to add information.. I'm glad to see someone else finally reporting this.

Edited by Darkstyrm

Yeah, it's definitely something with my server. Since the same issue occurs in a docker container as well, the only thing I can thing of is some sort of a strange intermittent hardware issue. I don't know why Emby Theater on Windows plays the streams fine from the same server. Any suggestions?

They play differently so it's reasonable that the results could be different.

revengineer

So, I experience this issue from time to time as well. I recently found that the sometimes the URL would not resolve to an IP address. That is, trying several times, it would resolve most but not all of the attempts. So I moved the name resolution to my local firewall and have found that IPTV seems much more stable now. I am almost hesitant to write about it because I don't want to jinx it. It's worth a try...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
erikprimo

So, I experience this issue from time to time as well. I recently found that the sometimes the URL would not resolve to an IP address. That is, trying several times, it would resolve most but not all of the attempts. So I moved the name resolution to my local firewall and have found that IPTV seems much more stable now. I am almost hesitant to write about it because I don't want to jinx it. It's worth a try...

Hi Can you please help me do this for my network? I am unable to get Emby to play more than 15 minutes of a paid IPTV m3u. I tried with my providers web interface and it works with no issue. Not sure whats up with Emby. any help would be appreciated :) Thank you !  

Hi Can you please help me do this for my network? I am unable to get Emby to play more than 15 minutes of a paid IPTV m3u. I tried with my providers web interface and it works with no issue. Not sure whats up with Emby. any help would be appreciated :) Thank you !  

Hi @@erikprimo, best thing to do is see how to report a media playback issue. thanks !