Transcoding - HW Acceleration not working properly

iinthesky73

Ok so.. I should grab the setup.exe from the "Beta Channel" link from the download page and just install it over my existing installation? 

Yes you can do that.

iinthesky73

Yes you can do that.

@@softworkz

Ok -- I installed the beta and checked the version to make sure its running the beta. What I see now is that the Decoding is now using DX11 instead of DX2 or whatever it was before. However, when i stream something that requires transcoding, unfortunately, I see the same results. I still see nothing under the Preferred Hardware Encoders area. Is that supposed to be populated?

CPU pegged at 80-90% and the GPU remains unused. I've attached the logs and screen grab below.

EmbyServerLog.txt

ffmpegTranscodeLog.txt

HardwareDetectLog.txt

post-379429-0-33344700-1552149642_thumb.png

iinthesky73

Can you try an h264 input file? Thanks.

@@Luke

Good idea.. I'll find something to match the codec and run it.. see what happens. 

iinthesky73

Can you try an h264 input file? Thanks.

@@Luke @@softworkz

Luke.. Thanks for pointing that out. The video I was playing didn't match any of the codecs for hardware acceleration so i chose one or two that do and now I see the GPU being used for the transcoding where needed. FINALLY!!! :)

I will continue to experiment but, at least for me, the problem appears to be solved now. I fired up multiple streams on seperate devices and i see the GPU Utilization % in HWiNFO going to 100% at times which is exactly what we're looking for.

Thanks!

Edited by iinthesky73

iinthesky73

Hey by the way.. unrelated question -- does this beta also support headless operation or do I still need to have the monitor connected?

Please explore the Testing Area of the community to learn about what changes are available for testing in the beta. Thanks.

• Like 1

iinthesky73

Hey guys! @@softworkz

It seems mine still refuses to use AMF for the encode portion, it is decoding using the graphics card.

@@itsjust_khris

I assumed that my card is being used because I finally saw some good utilization on the GPU as the file was being streamed. My CPU was still spiking pretty high and i'm not sure if this is supposed to happen or not. I have to run some tests with 3-5 simultaneous streams to see what happens. I should be able to handle that easily with the GPU. But that said, maybe I should duplicate your experiments, and/or look at the logs for the same thing you are looking at. What is it from the log that makes you believe your GPU is not being used for specifically encoding?

@softworkz 

Also, just out of curiosity, under the Transcoding section of the Server Configuration pages, are we supposed to see both Decoders and Encoders? I still do this day see nothing under the "Preferred Hardware Encoders" subheading. I see the stuff under "Preferred Hardware Decoders". Are we supposed to see the GPU under both headings or not?

Edited by iinthesky73

itsjust_khris

@@iinthesky73

I was lead to believe that because when I checked the ffmpeg log it stated that it chose the software encoder for whatever reason. Within the log there will be a section which states that it chose “libx264 software encoder”. I looked into this because from my experience with Nvidia cards if Emby thinks there is a hardware encoder present it will show up in the Prefered Hardware Encoders Section. Good Question!

Edited by itsjust_khris
  • Like 1

iinthesky73

@@iinthesky73

I was lead to believe that because when I checked the ffmpeg log it stated that it chose the software encoder for whatever reason. Within the log there will be a section which states that it chose “libx264 software encoder”. I looked into this because from my experience with Nvidia cards if Emby thinks there is a hardware encoder present it will show up in the Prefered Hardware Encoders Section. Good Question!

@@softworkz

Ok so.. maybe we're still not 100% there yet. Like I stated before, I do now see that the GPU Utilization stats when running HWiNFO shows me the GPU is definitely being used but perhaps its decoding with it but not encoding as the Encoders section is still empty. Perhaps @@softworkz can confirm this for us.

You should at least see an H.264 AMF encoder. 

Could you please post a recent hardware_detection log?

Problem identified. Will be fixed in the next beta.

Thanks for reporting!

Edited by softworkz
  • Like 1

iinthesky73

@@softworkz

I updated to 4.1.0.15 beta 

I now see my GPU for Encoding as well.. I just took a look at performance. YOU guys rock! It is now behaving PERFECTLY the way it used to! My CPU is almost totaly IDLE while my GPU does all the work. Thank you!!!!

Question: for encoding I only see H.264

Decoders have MPEG-2, H.265, and VC-1, along with H.264

Should the encoders match the decoders? I think no.. is that correct?

If I am understanding this right.. Need more decoders than encoders.. could have 1 encoder because that is the format its going to stream back out as whatever level its being transcoded to.. am I getting that right?

Edited by iinthesky73

Should the encoders match the decoders?

Not necessarily. Glad to hear your feedback.

@@iinthesky73 - Thanks for the feesback!

Are you using Emby with a connected display or in headless operation?

It would be interesting to get a confirmation that this will also work in a headless setup..

• Like 1

iinthesky73

@@iinthesky73 - Thanks for the feesback!

Are you using Emby with a connected display or in headless operation?

It would be interesting to get a confirmation that this will also work in a headless setup..

@@softworkz

Yes, I disconnected the monitor about a week ago and I have rebooted the server at least once since then. Still detecting cards. Just to be sure I just bounced it again from an RDP session and went back in-- still detecting cards, no problem.

• 5 months later...
nonyhaha

Hello 

Sorry to bring this up again. 

I am using version 4.2.1.0 

Windows server 2016

Quadro p400 gpu with dummy monitor. 

Nvidia drivers 421.70

In my dashboard, i see this: 

kk.png

Should I use a beta version, or this was supposed to be resolved in standard releases? 

Oh, I just paid one month to try this. So using emby premiere. 

Hello 

Sorry to bring this up again. 

I am using version 4.2.1.0 

Windows server 2016

Quadro p400 gpu with dummy monitor. 

Nvidia drivers 421.70

In my dashboard, i see this: 

kk.png

Should I use a beta version, or this was supposed to be resolved in standard releases? 

Oh, I just paid one month to try this. So using emby premiere. 

Hi there @@nonyhaha, did you follow our hardware acceleration setup guide?

BrettDioson

@@nonyhaha

FYI, I'm using Windows Server 2012 R2 with a GTX 1060 3gb.  I have 430.86 drivers (Windows 8.1) and I don't need a dongle or monitor connected to transcode.  Attached are what I see when I have transcode set to advanced:

5d6f1da6053c5_20190903Transcode.jpg

Maybe you need to update the drivers for the Quadro?  Both our cards are Pascal chipset so it should work.  You are at least getting hardware decode so it's at least seeing the card.  Maybe try going into advanced on the transcode settings and see if the encoder boxes are there (they don't show if you only have it set to "Yes" for hardware acceleration)?

nonyhaha

Hello @@softworkz

At the moment I disconnected the dummy, so no monitor on my server. 

I installed Nvidia drivers 436.15. (geforce drivers, win 10). I am still using windows server 2016. 

I restarted server. 

In emby settings, i still do not have the preferred hardware encoders as they show up on your picture. 

bub.png

I attached the hardware detection, as at the moment I do not think the problem requires more data. 

Please let me know. I am going to try a beta version now. 

L.E. Beta looks the same in settings. 

@@nonyhaha

IMPORTANT EDIT: 

I am not sure I mentioned this until now, but, I am using my server headless. I access it over RDP. Emby is not running as a service. 

Must I do something special for nvenc to work? because on google I find a lot of troubles about rdp, and also, Handbrake does not seem to use nvenc when selecting it as an encoder. 

(I used also console connect over IPMI and still no go.)

hardware_detection-63703187787.txt

Edited by nonyhaha