Transcoding - HW Acceleration not working properly

iinthesky73

@@BrettDioson

How do you run Emby?

• As a service or inside a user session?
  • What kind of session? console or remote desktop?

When do you start it? Automatically on Windows startup?

Could you please try to connect keyboard and monitor to the physical machine and start Emby this way? (console session)

Edited by softworkz

BrettDioson

I have server 2012R2.  I usually RDP to the server and start emby manually with the "as administrator" option (I have found issues if you don't run it as administrator).

I have started it from console today (I updated the Radeon drivers to 17.21.1 as this is the last one I could find for Windows 2012 that work) and have a monitor attached to the Radeon RX 480 via HDMI.

Attached is the latest hardware detection log.

*Edit: also added transcode log.  looks like its not using hardware still.

Emby Hardware Detection Log 20190223.txt

Emby Transcode log 20190223a.txt

Edited by BrettDioson

iinthesky73

@@softworkz

Thanks for replying!

Ok so i ran the command as you instructed. I'm not sure if this is intended behavior or not, but the command does not appear to execute fully. It hangs forever-- the command does not exit back to the prompt. I'm not sure if this is some buggy behavior or if this is how it is intended to operate. The latter of course would seem unlikely. If you have a new version of ffmpeg/ffdetect I'm more than willing to try anything to get this to work properly. Anyway here is the output:

C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system>ffdetect.exe -hide_banner -show_program_version -loglevel 99 -show_error -show_log 99 -print_format json amfenc
{
    "ProgramVersion": {
        "Version": "4.0.2-emby_2018_12_09-g5abbb1430d+238",
        "Copyright": "Copyright © 2018-2018 softworkz for Emby Llc",
        "Compiler": "gcc 8.2.1 (Rev1, Built by MSYS2 project) 20181207",
        "Configuration": " --disable-autodetect --enable-amf --enable-bzlib --enable-cuda --enable-cuvid --enable-d3d11va --enable-dxva2 --enable-iconv --enable-lzma --enable-nvenc --enable-zlib --enable-sdl2 --disable-debug --enable-ffnvcodec --enable-nvdec --enable-gmp --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopus --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-fontconfig --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libfreetype --enable-libmfx --enable-libmysofa --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libsnappy --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libxml2 --enable-libzimg --enable-libshine --enable-gpl --enable-avisynth --enable-libxvid --enable-libaom --enable-version3 --enable-libzvbi --enable-gnutls --extra-cflags=-DLIBTWOLAME_STATIC --extra-libs=-lstdc++ --extra-cflags=-DLIBXML_STATIC --extra-libs=-liconv"
    },
    "Device": {
        "DeviceIndex": 0,
        "DeviceInfo": {
            "Description": "Radeon RX 570 Series",
            "DirectXType": "DX11_1",
            "DeviceId": 26591,
            "VendorId": 4098,
            "SubSysId": 3815120290,
            "AdapterLuidHigh": 0,
            "AdapterLuidLow": 47136
        },
        "Encoders": [
            {
                "CodecName": "h264",
                "CodecComponentId": "AMFVideoEncoderVCE_AVC",
                "AccelerationType": "AMF_ACCEL_HARDWARE",
                "AccelerationTypeInt": 0,
                "MaxProfile": 100,
                "MaxLevel": 52,
                "MaxNumOfStreams": 16,
                "MaxBitRate": 100000000,
                "MaxTemporalLayers": 1,
                "MaxInstanceCount": 1,
                "Input_MinWidth": 64,
                "Input_MaxWidth": 4096,
                "Input_MinHeight": 64,
                "Input_MaxHeight": 2160,
                "Input_WidthAlignment": 1,
                "Input_HeightAlignment": 32,
                "Input_SupportsInterlaced": 0,
                "MinWidth": 64,
                "MaxWidth": 4096,
                "MinHeight": 64,
                "MaxHeight": 2160,
                "WidthAlignment": 1,
                "HeightAlignment": 32,
                "SupportsInterlaced": 0
            },
            {
                "CodecName": "hevc",
                "CodecComponentId": "AMFVideoEncoder_HEVC",
                "MaxProfile": 1,
                "MaxLevel": 186,
                "MaxBitRate": 2147483647,
                "MaxTier": 1,
                "Input_MinWidth": 192,
                "Input_MinHeight": 128,
                "Input_MaxHeight": 2176,
                "MinWidth": 192,
                "MinHeight": 128,
                "MaxHeight": 2176,
            }
        ]
    } <-- gets stuck here and does not exit back to prompt

One other thing-- just to restate: I am running with an attached monitor and when I go into Manage Server, i can see that the AMD card is listed for decoding but there is nothing at all listed for encoding.

iinthesky73

@@softworkz

Actually correction-- it does exit back to the prompt after some time. It also prints out:

"Log": [

]
}

Then goes back to the prompt. Sorry--

I have server 2012R2.  I usually RDP to the server and start emby manually with the "as administrator" option (I have found issues if you don't run it as administrator).

I have started it from console today (I updated the Radeon drivers to 17.21.1 as this is the last one I could find for Windows 2012 that work) and have a monitor attached to the Radeon RX 480 via HDMI.

Attached is the latest hardware detection log.

*Edit: also added transcode log.  looks like its not using hardware still.

Try launching the server directly on the machine, not from RDP.

BrettDioson

Try launching the server directly on the machine, not from RDP.

@@Luke, I did launch it from directly on the machine (console) yesterday.  The most recent attached logs are from that one.

@@softworkz

Actually correction-- it does exit back to the prompt after some time. It also prints out:

]
}

Then goes back to the prompt. Sorry--

Thanks, this is very helpful information.

So what is most likely happening is that your encoders are detected properly but there's some holdup during cleanup/shutdown of ffdetect.

Probably it is hitting a timeout when it is run by Emby and that's why Emby doesn't get the output.

Could you please try with the latest version of ffdetect:

If there's still a delay - how long does it take to complete?

Edited by softworkz

cptlores

I've done my due diligence, using a EDID HDMI dongle to make sure the Intel graphics (4600) activate without a monitor, using latest Intel graphics drivers (Win7) and not running Emby as a service. But after the 4.0.x update I am still getting transcoding artifacts. No playback errors per say and dashboard status says Quicksync is used for both decoder and encoder. But it has lots of artifacts in the picture that wasn't there in the 3.x versions of Emby.

Edited by cptlores

I've done my due diligence, using a EDID HDMI dongle to make sure the Intel graphics (4600) activate without a monitor, using latest Intel graphics drivers (Win7) and not running Emby as a service. But after the 4.0.x update I am still getting transcoding artifacts. No playback errors per say and dashboard status says Quicksync is used for both decoder and encoder. But it has lots of artifacts in the picture that wasn't there in the 3.x versions of Emby.

Could you please create a separate thread? 

Also see 'How to report a problem': https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

iinthesky73

@@softworkz

Ok I unzipped the binary to a temp dir and executed the following:

X:\Temp\ffdetect>.\ffdetect.exe -version
ffdetect version 4.0.3-emby_2019_02_23-g5abbb1430d+405 Copyright © 2018-2018 softworkz for Emby Llc
built with gcc 8.2.1 (Rev1, Built by MSYS2 project) 20181214
configuration:  --disable-autodetect --enable-amf --enable-bzlib --enable-cuda --enable-cuvid --enable-d3d11va --enable-dxva2 --enable-iconv --enable-lzma --enable-nvenc --enable-zlib --enable-sdl2 --disable-debug --enable-ffnvcodec --enable-nvdec --enable-cuda-nvcc --enable-gmp --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopus --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-fontconfig --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libfreetype --enable-libmfx --enable-libmysofa --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libsnappy --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libxml2 --enable-libzimg --enable-libshine --enable-gpl --enable-avisynth --enable-libxvid --enable-libaom --enable-version3 --enable-libzvbi --enable-gnutls --extra-cflags=-DLIBTWOLAME_STATIC --extra-libs=-lstdc++ --extra-cflags=-DLIBXML_STATIC --extra-libs=-liconv
libavutil      56. 14.100 / 56. 14.100

PS X:\Temp\ffdetect> Measure-Command {start-process .\ffdetect.exe -argumentlist "-hide_banner -show_program_version -logl
evel 99 -show_error -show_log 99 -print_format json amfenc" -wait}

Days              : 0
Hours             : 0
Minutes           : 2
Seconds           : 28
Milliseconds      : 99
Ticks             : 1480996897
TotalDays         : 0.00171411677893519
TotalHours        : 0.0411388026944444
TotalMinutes      : 2.46832816166667
TotalSeconds      : 148.0996897
TotalMilliseconds : 148099.6897

According to this it takes ~2.5 minutes to finish executing ffdetect with the params specified

BrettDioson

I tried the executable. It seems to have a significant memory leak for me. It doesn’t finish (let it run for 20 min) and it ate up over 50gb of memory. My server has 128gb ram.

Edited by BrettDioson

Thanks for reporting.

Could you please retry with the attached version?

Edited by softworkz

iinthesky73

@@softworkz

Ok this one behaves differently-- but the problem with it is that after it does the detect is starts to spit out a single line (pasted below) in an infinite loop. So this one actually never exits.

X:\Temp\ffdetect2>ffdetect.exe -hide_banner -show_program_version -loglevel 99 -show_error -show_log 99 -print_format json amfenc
{
        "Version": "4.0.3-emby_2019_02_25-g5abbb1430d+406",
        "Compiler": "gcc 8.3.0 (Rev1, Built by MSYS2 project)",
        "Configuration": " --disable-autodetect --enable-amf --enable-bzlib --enable-cuda --enable-cuvid --enable-d3d11va --enable-dxva2 --enable-iconv --enable-lzma --enable-nvenc --enable-zlib --enable-sdl2 --disable-debug --enable-ffnvcodec --enable-nvdec --enable-cuda-nvcc --enable-gmp --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopus --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-fontconfig --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libfreetype --enable-libmfx --enable-libmysofa --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libsnappy --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libxml2 --enable-libzimg --enable-libshine --enable-gpl --enable-avisynth --enable-libxvid --enable-libaom --enable-version3 --enable-libzvbi --enable-gnutls --extra-cflags=-DLIBTWOLAME_STATIC --extra-libs=-lstdc++ --extra-cflags=-DLIBXML_STATIC --extra-libs=-liconv"
    },
        }Start DetectAmfDx11.CheckDeviceDx11.
Start CheckDeviceDx11.AddEncoders.
            {
            },
            {
            }
        ]End CheckDeviceDx11.AddEncoders.
Start CheckDeviceDx11.Cleanup.
End CheckDeviceDx11.TerminateContext.
End CheckDeviceDx11.ReleaseContext.
End DetectAmfDx11.CheckDeviceDx11.

}Start DetectAmfDx11.ReleaseDevice.
End DetectAmfDx11.ReleaseDevice.
Start DetectAmfDx11.ReleaseAdapter.
End DetectAmfDx11.ReleaseAdapter.
Start DetectAmfDx11.ReleaseAdapter_0.

It looks like the detection goes smoothly-- that happens in ~1 second, but then this line above gets repeated forever. I let it run for 10 minutes -- it never exits.
Edited by iinthesky73

iinthesky73

@@softworkz

One other thing-- might be relevant--might not be.

So i ran the command again with a > redirect output to a file. It seems to confirm that the command is executing quickly and it also shows me (presuming stdout and stderr are two different file handles in Windows) that the normal output sent to stdout gets recorded in the output file i redirected to. The infinite loop lines must be getting sent to stderr or whatever the Windows equivalent is because those lines do not appear in the file just using a > redirect.

So i ran the command again with a > redirect output to a file. It seems to confirm that the command is executing quickly and it also shows me (presuming stdout and stderr are two different file handles in Windows) that the normal output sent to stdout gets recorded in the output file i redirected to. The infinite loop lines must be getting sent to stderr or whatever the Windows equivalent is because those lines do not appear in the file just using a > redirect.

Yes, that's supposed to work like this: 

Good news, the problem should be fixed now:

ffdetect.zip

BrettDioson

OK, that new file worked for me and doesn't appear to have the memory issue.  Also it seems to have completed successfully.

I replaced the ffdetect.exe in my emby system directory with this new one to see if it would do anything but it appears Emby is still only using software to encode.  I have attached log files (emby server run from console).

Emby Hardware Detection Log 20190225.txt

Emby Server Log 20190225.txt

Emby Transcode log 20190225.txt

ffdetect 20190225.txt

iinthesky73

Yes, that's supposed to work like this: 

Good news, the problem should be fixed now:

attachicon.gifffdetect.zip

@@softworkz

Ok this one looks much different (better) and it's executing in a couple seconds. Question, just to be clear what i am to do-- i have to go into the emby system directory and replace the ffdetect there with this one and then either reboot the box or restart emby server.. 

So for example-- For my installation-- i would replace the ffdetect in the following dir (where emby server runs out of): C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\

Correct?

Here's the output for reference:

X:\Temp\ffdetect3>ffdetect.exe -hide_banner -show_program_version -loglevel 99 -show_error -show_log 99 -print_format json amfenc
{
        "Version": "4.0.3-emby_2019_02_25-g5abbb1430d+407",
        "Compiler": "gcc 8.3.0 (Rev1, Built by MSYS2 project)",
        "Configuration": " --disable-autodetect --enable-amf --enable-bzlib --enable-cuda --enable-cuvid --enable-d3d11va --enable-dxva2 --enable-iconv --enable-lzma --enable-nvenc --enable-zlib --enable-sdl2 --disable-debug --enable-ffnvcodec --enable-nvdec --enable-cuda-nvcc --enable-gmp --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopus --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-fontconfig --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libfreetype --enable-libmfx --enable-libmysofa --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libsnappy --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libxml2 --enable-libzimg --enable-libshine --enable-gpl --enable-avisynth --enable-libxvid --enable-libaom --enable-version3 --enable-libzvbi --enable-gnutls --extra-cflags=-DLIBTWOLAME_STATIC --extra-libs=-lstdc++ --extra-cflags=-DLIBXML_STATIC --extra-libs=-liconv"
    },
        }Start DetectAmfDx11.CheckDeviceDx11.
Start CheckDeviceDx11.AddEncoders.
            {
            },
            {
            }
        ]End CheckDeviceDx11.AddEncoders.
Start CheckDeviceDx11.Cleanup.
End CheckDeviceDx11.TerminateContext.
End CheckDeviceDx11.ReleaseContext.
End DetectAmfDx11.CheckDeviceDx11.

}Start DetectAmfDx11.ReleaseDevice.
End DetectAmfDx11.ReleaseDevice.
Start DetectAmfDx11.ReleaseAdapter.
End DetectAmfDx11.ReleaseAdapter.
End DetectAmfDx11.ReleaseAdapter_0.
Start DetectAmfDx11.ReleaseFactory.
End DetectAmfDx11.ReleaseFactory.
Start DetectAmfDx11.CloseDxgi.
End DetectAmfDx11.CloseDxgi.
Start DetectAmfDx11.CloseD3D.
End DetectAmfDx11.CloseD3D.
        {
            "Level": 40,
            "Category": 0,
            "Message": "Start DetectAmfDx11.CheckDeviceDx11."
        },
        {
            "Message": "Start CheckDeviceDx11.AddEncoders."
        },
        {
            "Message": "End CheckDeviceDx11.AddEncoders."
        },
        {
            "Message": "Start CheckDeviceDx11.Cleanup."
        },
        {
            "Message": "End CheckDeviceDx11.TerminateContext."
        },
        {
            "Message": "End CheckDeviceDx11.ReleaseContext."
        },
        {
            "Message": "End DetectAmfDx11.CheckDeviceDx11."
        },
        {
            "Message": "Start DetectAmfDx11.ReleaseDevice."
        },
        {
            "Message": "End DetectAmfDx11.ReleaseDevice."
        },
        {
            "Message": "Start DetectAmfDx11.ReleaseAdapter."
        },
        {
            "Message": "End DetectAmfDx11.ReleaseAdapter."
        },
        {
            "Message": "Start DetectAmfDx11.ReleaseAdapter_0."
        },
        {
            "Message": "End DetectAmfDx11.ReleaseAdapter_0."
        },
        {
            "Message": "Start DetectAmfDx11.ReleaseFactory."
        },
        {
            "Message": "End DetectAmfDx11.ReleaseFactory."
        },
        {
            "Message": "Start DetectAmfDx11.CloseDxgi."
        },
        {
            "Message": "End DetectAmfDx11.CloseDxgi."
        },
        {
            "Message": "Start DetectAmfDx11.CloseD3D."
        },
        {
            "Message": "End DetectAmfDx11.CloseD3D."
        }
    ]
}
Edited by iinthesky73

iinthesky73

@@softworkz

So I went ahead and replaced the ffdetect.exe at the location I specified. While these results look better, and even if there was some sort of timeout condition, this is likely gone now. However, our main problem still stubbornly remains. After replacing the binary I went ahead and ran an .avi which always gets transcoded before playing and I notice the same old circumstances. The GPU is not used and the CPU usage spikes to near 100%. I've attached screenshot of the config and the logs below. I'm not sure how it's supposed to look but as you can see.. Decoders are present but it has nothing under the Encoder heading...

Probably nothing we haven't seen before. In the Transcode log it still looks like Emby is selecting the cpu.

ffmpegTranscodeLog.txt

HardwareDetectLog.txt

EmbyServerLog.txt

post-379429-0-29868400-1551135416_thumb.png

Edited by iinthesky73

itsjust_khris

I am unable to get logs at the moment but the same issue occurs with my Radeon Vii. The Hardware Decoders tab is filled but there’s nothing under the encoders tab. The FFdetect.exe provided in the thread recognizes the AMF encoder but using it in Emby shows no change in the encoders tab.

I’ve also attempted to use the beta build but the only difference is that the decoders are now using direct x 11. No change in the encoders tab.

• Like 1

I am unable to get logs at the moment but the same issue occurs with my Radeon Vii. The Hardware Decoders tab is filled but there’s nothing under the encoders tab. The FFdetect.exe provided in the thread recognizes the AMF encoder but using it in Emby shows no change in the encoders tab.

I’ve also attempted to use the beta build but the only difference is that the decoders are now using direct x 11. No change in the encoders tab.

We'll need to see the log files, thanks.

The detection has already been fixed internally, but there's a few other things undergoing some work right now, so it may take a few days...

Please be patient...

• Like 2

BrettDioson

The detection has already been fixed internally, but there's a few other things undergoing some work right now, so it may take a few days...

Please be patient...

Thanks for the update, standing by.  Let us know if there are any other logs or tests you need.

• 2 weeks later...
iinthesky73

Ok so.. I should grab the setup.exe from the "Beta Channel" link from the download page and just install it over my existing installation?