Searching the guide, channel selection, recording setup

ERamseth

ERamseth

Not exactly sure if this is working as expected or not, so I'll just describe my observations and expectations.

What I'm doing: trying to replicte my series recordings from HDHR DVR into Emby.

- Search guide data for "Bob's Burgers".

- Find an episode, click on episode

- Set series recording, check settings... only the channel of the episode I had clicked is available to choose. (For example, only shows TBS, not also showing TBSHD, local fox affiliate, and local fox affiliate HD)

- Why this is a problem: could easily miss new episodes of a show (setting series recording for new episode on a channel that only carries reruns) or record in SD vs. HD (obviously not ideal)

What I kind of expected:

- instead of getting a single episode, get an entry for the show in general, like a page-centric home page (in this case, Bob's Burgers)

- after clicking into show entry, see individual episodes listed, each along with which channel it airs on.

- when setting a series recording, be given an option for any of the channels the show is on, and an option to prefer HD channels vs. SD channels.

Is this working as expected? Quite honestly, the interface is super slick and I am excited about the prospect of a grid-style guide (and getting everything set up with my 2 HDHR Primes was really easy)... but what I described above under "what I kind of expected" is pretty basic and it will be painful to try to transition to Emby without it. If this IS currently ad expected, are changes anything like I described even on a roadmap somewhere? Even showing the channel of an individual episode in search results somehow would be an improvement... or maybe have channel name be parsed as part of the search (so I could search "Bob's Burgers TBS HD" and get only episodes showing on TBS HD)

Also, a side note, I found it odd that when I searched for "Bob's Burgers", search result episodes seemed to have different images with them based on which channel they would air on.

Edited by ERamseth

sfatula

Well, it is kinda how it works at present, not sure if impending 4.0 is any different or not.

Here's one good thing. Once you make a series recording, you can go into the series recording which only picked your one channel in your example and change it to all channels. Not quite as slick as you desired of course.

The best way that I know of to control SD vs HD is to remove the SD channels that also have an HD version. In this way, you will only ever record HD channels if there is also an SD channel.

ERamseth

Yeah I mean thats definitely not ideal. I guess we'll see if 4.0 brings any changes. Is there a public roadmap of any sort?

IkeTaylor11

All of the functionality you are asking about with series recordings is there. After you set the series recording click on the series settings. It allows you to set a single channel or all channels. You can choose only new episodes or all episodes. You can choose to pad time to the beginning and end. You can tell Emby how many episodes to keep. 

As far as SD or HD channels goes, edit your channel source prior to implementing it into Emby. Why would you even want SD channels? 

ERamseth

Ok but what you're describing actually ISN'T all there. If I choose to record Bob's Burgers in a series recording and I get there from clicking on an episode that was airing on TBS, when I go back to the series settings it doesn't also give ab option for the local Fox channel in the drop down.

Regarding SD vs. HD, you're right I wouldn't want SD. But I shouldn't have to comb through back end settings on a channel listing to make that happen.

IkeTaylor11

So you want to see a list of every channel that the show airs on in the drop down list? Why would you not just set it to record on all channels? That way you will never miss a new episode no matter what channel it airs on. 

• Like 1

IkeTaylor11

Just get a provider that has only HD channels, or set your recording from the guide menu instead of searching for the program. Until 4.0 you couldnt even search programs in live channels that i remember. 

Yeah, the drop down is not designed to show you specific channels - only if you selected a specific channel.

The only options that make sense are one specific channel and "any" because trying to determine which channels will ever have that particular program on it would be impossible and, thus, translate to "any".

Now, it may make sense to add options in the future for only HD or SD... but then we have to have that information about the channel.

ERamseth

For what it's worth, HDHomeRun seems to be able to determine HD vs SD (in the web interface to the device itself, independent of the silicondust DVR or playback software)

Regarding grouping programs - yes we absolutely plan to do that like you are expecting, where we group them in movies list, you click on one of them, and then you can see all airings for it.

ERamseth

that's awesome. don't get me wrong, I'm not cancelling my subscription or anything and the work you all have done thus far is great... I was legit wondering if I was missing a setting or a button somewhere.

It would be nice to have SD vs HD differentiation AND also replace SD media with HD for things you already have but want an upgrade of.  This is one of the few options Plex has that Emby doesn't have.

But as far as SD and HD channels, just bite the bullet and map out your channels (use a spreadsheet to track things in case you ever need to redo them) so you know all the channels you have in both HD and SD.  Then go through the web interface on the HDHomeRun and mark all the HD channels as favorites and the SD only channels as well.

This also allows you to NOT favorite channels you don't want like Home Shopping Network, paid info channels, religious channels (if you don't want them) and channels in languages that you don't speak or want.

Then in Emby import ONLY the FAVORITES.  That will simplify your guide which you'll also appreciate navigating as well as making sure you only ever record the "best" version of the channel.

Then in Emby import ONLY the FAVORITES.  That will simplify your guide which you'll also appreciate navigating as well as making sure you only ever record the "best" version of the channel.

Edited by cayars