Chapters - Skipping and Selecting

WiteWulf

WiteWulf

I'm posting this in the LG forum, as it's my primary consumption device (running on a 55OLEDB8 and an SK8500) but it seems to be a strange UI behaviour across many other platforms.

I've enabled Chapter image creation on my library and when looking at the info for a movie I can see the chapters listed with their thumbnails way down the bottom of the page after the actor bios.

First thing, I think this a bad UI design decision, placing functional content below informational. I have to scroll past all the actor bios to get to it.

I can click on a chapter in the list and it will play the movie from that point; that's good.

But if I'm playing a movie I seem to have no ability to skip back and forth through chapters with my remote control, or view a chapter list without stopping playback and going back to the movie info page. Is this deliberate? It's feels very counter-intuitive to me, and unlike any other video playback system I've used.

Likewise, when playing back in a web browser, there's no way to skip chapters that I can find. If I drag the transport controller back and forth through the timeline it updates the thumbnail as I pass a chapter point, but it doesn't snap to chapter points.

The buttons normally assigned to chapter skip on my remote control seem to instead be configured to skip through items in a playlist. While I can appreciate this for music I never use playlists for video and would appreciate the ability to modify this behaviour based on what media type is playing.

Am I missing anything or doing something wrong?

WiteWulf

Hi Luke, thanks for the reply. I, personally, would rather see a simple Next/Previous Chapter skip button implemented before any sort of fancy visual method. At least then I can map the buttons correctly from my remote.

• 4 weeks later...

This feature has come and gone and returned and left. It's rather frustrating for those of us who program remotes to increase functionality.