Can't Direct Play and Transcode the Same Channel (HDHomerun)?!?!?!

troyhough

Yes, but please try the first part hitting only the local 8096 port bypassing remote use or domain.
Depending on your settings you may need to switch the quality after it starts to play but for this test, that's fine.

troyhough
12 hours ago, cayars said:

Yes, but please try the first part hitting only the local 8096 port bypassing remote use or domain.
Depending on your settings you may need to switch the quality after it starts to play but for this test, that's fine.

I changed the local https port back to 8096, rebooted server, logged out of emby on shield and connected via local ip. played ch7, Direct Play.

Grabbed my Pixel 4, logged out of emby, connected back via local ip, changed LAN playback to 3Mb, played ch7, still Direct Play.

HDHR web page shows 1 tuner in use.

Edit: Is there something for me to try next? Or do you have enough info to get this fixed?

Edited by troyhough

OK, so same issue using local IP/port where you don't get a transcode on the shared stream.

Thanks, that simplifies testing!

• Like 1

troyhough
10 minutes ago, cayars said:

OK, so same issue using local IP/port where you don't get a transcode on the shared stream.

Thanks, that simplifies testing!

That is correct. Need me to do anything further?

Nothing more for me for now. Don't know if Luke or ebr wants anything else.

I just wanted to make sure I have the info to try and duplicate.

You can save me from going back looking but is this channel 1080 or 720 or doesn't it matter?

• Like 1

troyhough
7 minutes ago, cayars said:

Nothing more for me for now. Don't know if Luke or ebr wants anything else.

I just wanted to make sure I have the info to try and duplicate.

You can save me from going back looking but is this channel 1080 or 720 or doesn't it matter?

That one is 1080i but it happens on both the 1080i and 720p channels.

Thanks again for working on this!

20 hours ago, cayars said:

There is something strange going on here. For the Pixel/second stream it knows the media exceeded the bitrate limit.

2021-09-21 17:15:59.559 Info Server: http/1.1 POST https://emby.troyhough.com/Items/141788/PlaybackInfo?UserId=37ea57c3ff41419b91c7df1e1b837e6b&StartTimeTicks=0&IsPlayback=true&AutoOpenLiveStream=true&MaxStreamingBitrate=3000000&X-Emby-Client=Emby for Android&X-Emby-Device-Name=Pixel 4 XL&X-Emby-Device-Id=17b3377456e6d8a9&X-Emby-Client-Version=3.2.11. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 11; Pixel 4 XL Build/RQ3A.210905.001; wv) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/93.0.4577.82 Mobile Safari/537.36
2021-09-21 17:15:59.562 Info App: User policy for Troy. EnablePlaybackRemuxing: True EnableVideoPlaybackTranscoding: True EnableAudioPlaybackTranscoding: True
2021-09-21 17:15:59.562 Info App: Bitrate exceeds DirectPlay limit: media bitrate: 15448000, max bitrate: 3000000
2021-09-21 17:15:59.562 Info App: Bitrate exceeds DirectStream limit: media bitrate: 15448000, max bitrate: 3000000
2021-09-21 17:15:59.564 Info LiveTvManager: Opening channel stream from Emby, external channel Id: hdhr_7.1
2021-09-21 17:15:59.564 Info LiveTV: Streaming Channel hdhr_7.1
2021-09-21 17:15:59.564 Info LiveTV: Live stream native_9098a73d5f0a41a094a99f31435d5a51_e7ecd8e777fe1ae03ee194f59309bcac consumer count is now 2

I see something kind of strange so I'd like for you to do a test for me.

Reproduce this same test with the same devices in the same order but this time make sure both devices are set to login to the server directly by local IP:port and avoid your domain or Cloudflare.

If this works correctly, then I've got another test you can do with the exact setup you did before this using Cloudflare. Login to Cloudflare and turn on Development Mode on the Overview page. 

Any difference?

That could be due to the direct stream live tv option in the app. For testing this issue I would suggest using the standard android app that doesn't have that kind of option.

• Like 1

troyhough
4 hours ago, Luke said:

That could be due to the direct stream live tv option in the app. For testing this issue I would suggest using the standard android app that doesn't have that kind of option.

@LukeThis doesn't appear to be the case. I just fired up Ch7 on my Chromebook- Emby for Android 3.2.11 (Direct Play). Grabbed my Pixel 4, set it to LTE 3Mb, fired up Ch7 and it also Direct Play.

HDHR tuner shows 1 of 4 tuners in use.

46 minutes ago, troyhough said:

@LukeThis doesn't appear to be the case. I just fired up Ch7 on my Chromebook- Emby for Android 3.2.11 (Direct Play). Grabbed my Pixel 4, set it to LTE 3Mb, fired up Ch7 and it also Direct Play.

HDHR tuner shows 1 of 4 tuners in use.

Server log example?

@Luke I can reproduce on 4.7.0.12 quite easily and it's every time.

I used CBS from my Prime which is streaming about 15Mb.
On all clients being used for the 2nd part of the test I set Home network speed in the app to 720-3Mb.

I used Theater for Desktop to direct play CBS for the first stream.
I then used Edge browser to play CBS and it transcoded - good
Android will direct play - bad
I close all streams and play CBS on Android and it Transcodes.

Tried some other clients:
Theater - Windows Store won't direct play due to container.

Theater for Desktop won't transcode as 2nd stream - bad
Android TV as 2nd stream will Direct Play.  Could get it to transcode. - bad
Web browsers will transcode - good

While while any two streams are direct playing I can open Open Edge or Chrome and CBS transcodes.

We can reproduce the issue and see the it's asking to be transcoded.
Now it's just a matter of Luke finding the issue.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...