Is there a way to hide some collections from a user?

frostedpanda

frostedpanda

Hi, I am quite new to Emby so maybe I have overlooked something. I am trying to hide a specific collection from a specific user without hiding all collections. Is this possible?

Say for example: I have a collection of horror movies. My kids user account has no access to the horror movies library but can still see the collection including the thumbnail. If the kid tries to open the collection, he can't see the movies inside because he has no access to the libraries those movies reside in (it appears like an empty collection) but he is still blasted with whatever gory thumbnail the collection is using.

Now I can remove his access to all collections, but then he would lose his cartoon collections. Is this really an all or nothing type of deal?

frostedpanda

OK, I think I just figured it out. I can tag a collection and then block the user from seeing anything with that tag. Seems to work like I want.

Hi, collections are based on the media. If the user has no permissions to the contents of a collection, then they will not be able to see the collection. Does this answer your question?

frostedpanda

Hi, collections are based on the media. If the user has no permissions to the contents of a collection, then they will not be able to see the collection. Does this answer your question?

Interesting, maybe I am misunderstanding you but that is not the behavior I am seeing. Server 4.0.0.0. All the media in the collection is from a single library. User has no permissions for that library but can still see the collection. The user can't see any media in that collection but the collection is still there. Only way I found to completely hide the collection is with a tag or rating on the collection itself and then use parental controls to hide anything with that tag or rating.

Happy2Play

Yes this is a Global Collection library issue (not restricted by parentid, but the collection items are).  You only see this in Collection library, if you went to Movies then Collections tab you will not see this.

Edited by Happy2Play

frostedpanda

Yes this is a Global Collection library issue (not restricted by parentid, but the collection items are).  You only see this in Collection library, if you went to Movies then Collections tab you will not see this.

Ah OK, that kinda makes sense of whats happening. But I guess until we get a collections tab from the TV and Home Movies sections, all users still need access to the collections library and I will be tagging and rating all my collections. Oh well. Thanks for the explanations.

• Like 1

notla49285

Thanks, I've gotten to the bottom of this so that they will be hidden appropriately.

Hi @@Luke, there is a similar issue where I have a "TV Recordings" library with separate user folders within it that I control access to per user. However, when navigating to Live TV -> Recordings, all users can see all recordings (and can play them too), regardless of folder access.

• 1 year later...