trailers for all movies?

nmbrg

How do i get trailers for all movies, like in plex?

What i mean is that when i browse a movie with a client or webapp i want to be able to press a "trailer" button for that movie and watch a trailer for that movie.

i couldnt see any such feature in the settings (only the cinema mode, andi dont want to watch trailers inbefore ever movie i watch)

i am a emby premiere sub.

d00zah

It will add a Trailer button to the detail view of any movie which has an available trailer. There's NO guarantee ALL your movies will have one.

post-10374-0-68977100-1547216128_thumb.jpg

Review the Movie Trailer Archive (1st tab in plugin) to see if a trailer is available. Pretty sure that's the definitive list?

I've had it installed for so long, I can't recall if a library scan is required to populate them. I do recall an 'Update Channels' scheduled task, but I no longer see it in the list.

Edited by d00zah

Not sure what you mean with this:

Review the Movie Trailer Archive (1st tab in plugin) to see if a trailer is available. Pretty sure that's the definitive list?

If i go to the plugin from the emby server dashboard all i get is a list with

Movie trailer archive New and Upcoming in Theaters New and Upcoming on Dvd New and Upcoming on Netflix

And if i go to the Emby client and enter the "Trailers" from the home screen. i see a lot of trailers. many for movies i dont even have. And i see a lot of trailers, for movies that i do have. But if i go to that movie, there is no trailer button.

I found two movies so far that had a trailer (one new and one a bit older) from around 1k movies. (ive looked thru about 20 movies so far manually)

d00zah

I checked the Wiki & the PlugIns forum, but don't see anything more about usage. Note that these are internet trailers... no trailers are actually downloaded & stored.

As stated earlier, I've had the plugin installed for years & the bulk of my ~2800 movies have a trailer button?

Another SWAG... try 'Refresh metadata' from the '...' menu of your Movies library on the home page.

@@Luke , @@ebr , any insight?

Edited by d00zah

Ok, this function just works out of the box with Plex, i think Plex missed about 10-15 movies. The rest had trailers. And thats without even installing any plugins or adding something. (just having the right metadata agent)

So it should be doable in Emby as well without this plugin hassle (that doesnt even work as it seems)

Its a very important function for me as well, so if this doesnt work ill go back to plex.

Edited by nmbrg

d00zah

Try 'Refresh metadata' from the '...' menu of your Movies library on the home page.

My library has 'em & all because I have the plugin installed, so it DOES work. Just unclear on what triggers them being populated. They've literally been available in my library for years.

Let's see at Luke and/or ebr have to say when the wander by.

Edited by d00zah

Try 'Refresh metadata' from the '...' menu of your Movies library on the home page.

My library has 'em & all because I have the plugin installed, so it DOES work. Just unclear on what triggers them being populated. They've literally been available in my library for years.

Let's see at Luke and/or ebr have to say when the wander by.

Ok. which of the three alternatives should i take?

Search for new and updated files

search for missing metadata

replace all metadata

d00zah

IF you have made manual changes you haven't 'locked', 'replace all metadata' will wipe 'em out, so I'd try 'search for missing metadata' 1st & see how that works.

Havent made any manual changes yet since im just trying it out to see if i will do the switch from plex.

But i tried the missing metadata scan and nothing has changed. still no trailers for most of the movies.

d00zah

But some? As I said earlier, "There's NO guarantee ALL your movies will have one." That's up to whatever source Emby uses for trailers.

The reports plugin seems to be wonky so I can't say how many of my ~2800 movies have trailers available, but a semi-random sampling yielded 10/10 & I deliberately looked for particularly old/unpopular/stoopid movies. I'd say give it a couple of days to see if more populate over time.

My example above, from 1979,  has 2 entries in the .nfo:

<trailer>plugin://plugin.video.youtube/?action=play_video&videoid=6_KOLqpo7z8</trailer>
  <trailer>plugin://plugin.video.youtube/?action=play_video&videoid=ikscr9N49fY</trailer>

so they are coming from youtube. Try searching there. If they have one, I'm sure it'll show up in time. Some sort of API limit?

Edited by d00zah

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mediacompanion/

Use Media Companion. Have it download local trailers to your media folders. Solved. All your movies will have trailers.

YouTube trailers will only work in clients that support browsers. On clients that don't have native browsers these trailers will not work. Hence, read the sentence above again. :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Make sure you have enabled the OMDb provider in your movie library and then try refreshing one of these items.

Make sure you have enabled the OMDb provider in your movie library and then try refreshing one of these items.

As "Luke" said, if its TheMovieDB that gets the trailers. why do i need Open MovieDB then?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mediacompanion/

Use Media Companion. Have it download local trailers to your media folders. Solved. All your movies will have trailers.

YouTube trailers will only work in clients that support browsers. On clients that don't have native browsers these trailers will not work. Hence, read the sentence above again. :)

Im not gonna use a 3rd party software for getting trailers. When i can get them automatically with the metadata agent in Plex.

But some? As I said earlier, "There's NO guarantee ALL your movies will have one." That's up to whatever source Emby uses for trailers.

The reports plugin seems to be wonky so I can't say how many of my ~2800 movies have trailers available, but a semi-random sampling yielded 10/10 & I deliberately looked for particularly old/unpopular/stoopid movies. I'd say give it a couple of days to see if more populate over time.

My example above, from 1979,  has 2 entries in the .nfo:

<trailer>plugin://plugin.video.youtube/?action=play_video&videoid=6_KOLqpo7z8</trailer>

<trailer>plugin://plugin.video.youtube/?action=play_video&videoid=ikscr9N49fY</trailer>

so they are coming from youtube. Try searching there. If they have one, I'm sure it'll show up in time. Some sort of API limit?

Yes, some. about 10 of my 1000 movies has trailers now. But on a second thought those might be the ones that i downloaded locally. have to check that.

Moviedb is actually where the trailer urls come from.

Ok, so i do not need the trailer plugin at all?

As "Luke" said, if its TheMovieDB that gets the trailers. why do i need Open MovieDB then?

Sorry, I typed the wrong provider name :).

Ok, well TheMovieDB is the default one i think. As i havent altered anything agent-wise and thats the one that i use. So the problem isnt the agent.

So not sure why most of my movies aint getting any trailers.

Can name some of the movies that isnt getting any trailer. (wont list them all since that would take a day to sort thru)

2 fast 2 furious

21 jump street

american history x

A-X-L

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Halloween

Johnny English Strikes Again

d00zah

I have all but Halloween & they all show trailers.

Nothing in my Movie library settings looks to have any bearing, aside from Movie metadata downloaders... both TMDB & OMDB enabled, in that order.

Edited by d00zah

Ok, well TheMovieDB is the default one i think. As i havent altered anything agent-wise and thats the one that i use. So the problem isnt the agent.

So not sure why most of my movies aint getting any trailers.

Can name some of the movies that isnt getting any trailer. (wont list them all since that would take a day to sort thru)

2 fast 2 furious

21 jump street

american history x

A-X-L

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Halloween

Johnny English Strikes Again

Try refreshing the metadata on some of them.

Happy2Play

The plugin is not needed to see trailers that are shown in metadata.  I just added 2 fast 2 furious and 21 jump street and both showed Trailer button in web client. 

Note Emby provided all metadata and only tested with nfo enabled.

d00zah

The plugin is not needed to see trailers that are shown in metadata.  I just added 2 fast 2 furious and 21 jump street and both showed Trailer button in web client. 

Note Emby provided all metadata and only tested with nfo enabled.

Which begs the question... what IS the Trailers plugin for, then?