Why are channel load times so long on Shield / Roku?

clollar

I am running my MB server on a used PC.  It's an AMD apu.  I use an external Seagate hdd, Emby is on 1 ssd with paths to cache, metadata and transcoding on another.  I mostly use a Roku premiere, Nvidia shield and my main PC as clients.  As the title suggests my problem is with very long load times for channel changing, specifically with the Shield and Roku, the PC is fine.  The Shield is the worst with load times easily between 10-15 seconds and sometimes reaching 17-20 seconds and bringing up a prompt asking about playback error.  I choose Emby because live Tv seemed to actually work, as opposed to Plex which didn't. That leads me to believe it might be my set up.  Is it my drives? My cpu? (AMD A10 7850k) My internet is fiber 500mbs download, 100 up.  I've attached what I believe is a pertinent log.  Thanks.

Hi.  If you turn on the "Direct stream Live TV" option is it any faster?

There are also some improvements in the latest beta of the app if you'd like to try that.

Yes it is much faster when selecting direct stream live TV.  However that kind of defeats the purpose of DVR.  I'd like to be able to pause and rewind live TV.  I am already on beta, I upgraded to 4.0 last night I believe.  It's a little better today, but it was awful last night.  It is currently closer to 10 seconds, last night it was almost 20 seconds and was prompting a playback error message.  Forgive me I'm not sure if the beta version upgrade made a difference.  I want to say last night that it didn't seem to.  While it's annoying, 10 seconds isn't a deal breaker and can be worked around sometimes with live TV streaming.  But I am more curious as to the solution.  Is it the Emby software?  My set up?  I find it interesting that the Roku and Shield have the issue but not the PC.  And last I checked the PC direst plays but the Shield and Roku have to direct STREAM.  In my reading that means it's only the audio (not much cpu power needed) that is needing to be transcoded.  Which to me makes sense for the Roku, but not the Shield.  One of the reasons I got a Shield is it's ability to play most audio video formats, in particularly surround sound formats.  Ironically, while still a bit slow, the Roku seems to be quicker and more consistent in terms of loading channels.  

Oh I see. Thank you, hope it helps.  When and in what manner will I receive the updated/beta app?  Do I have to go to the play store?

Nvm I went to the Google app store-my apps, and it had an update for Emby.  Downloaded and immediately tried live TV.  Now channel load times are worse.  I'll try resetting the Shield.  This is discouraging.  Should I go back to the stable versions of both the server and Shield app?

Wow this is awful.  Now all my clients are unstable and unwatchable.  I understand this isn't directly related to the beta Android TV app. Butt I am also on beta 4.0 for the server.  

kanipek

Media Playback Issues

• Please create a topic in the community.
  • Describe the problem in your own words, including what you're trying to accomplish, and where you're getting stuck. Make sure to indicate which Emby App you're using. If you're using a browser, then please indicate what browser you're using.
  • If you saw error messages, please tell us what they were. If the problem is difficult to explain, please include screenshots that demonstrate the issue.
  • Please attach the server log from the time frame the activity occurred. See the section below titled Emby Server Logs. Please supply the full and complete log file, and avoid attempting to extract relevant sections. Everything is relevant to us. If a server transcoding log was also generated during playback (in the server logs folder), please attach that as well.
  • Like 1

I'm sorry, did I put it in the wrong forum?  I created a topic and described my issue (hw included).  I unfortunately did not get a picture of the error message, which was more like an option to fix a playback error.  And now I can't seem to recreate it.  And I attached the log.  Please let me know what I am apparently doing wrong.  I'm new here, lol.  

kanipek

I'm sorry, did I put it in the wrong forum?  I created a topic and described my issue (hw included).  I unfortunately did not get a picture of the error message, which was more like an option to fix a playback error.  And now I can't seem to recreate it.  And I attached the log.  Please let me know what I am apparently doing wrong.  I'm new here, lol.  

A Playback correction error?

The log that you posted was good. What also is equally important is the Emby Server log

Emby Server Logs

There are multiple ways to access Emby Server log files.

• Logs can be accessed directly within the server's web interface by navigating to Help -> Logs.
  • Additionally, the front page of the Emby Server Dashboard contains the path to your logs folder.

If you're having difficulty using the web interface, logs can be found at:

Windows: %appdata%\Emby-Server\logs

If you have a standard Windows installation that is where you will find the server log(s).  If not a standard install locate the Emby-Server\programdata\logs folder

In order to be most helpful the logs (server, ffmpeg etc)  that you submit should be from the time frame the problem/error occurred and because the server log can sometimes be very long/large if you include a time frame in your post of when you had the problem/error that will also help the devs.

I don't want to assume you did not read/follow the link @@Luke sent you. It spells out all of that - doesn't mean you will understand it all and we can always try to clarify things here.

My bad.  I misunderstood the distinction between the server log and "regular" log.  I can see the it plainly now.  I think this is it.  Thank you.

What exactly happened that we should be looking at here, and at roughly what time? Was there an ffmpeg log created at the same time as well? Thanks.

Yes, I included that on my 2nd post above.  But I might have bigger issues.  I can't play a song or pull up some photos.  I can't play the only show I've recorded.  Somewhere between the last 2 beta updates, a couple drive changes, some settings changes in Emby server, and a Windows update...thing have gone South quick.  I might just uninstall to try and get back where I was while keeping the drives the same.  I have attached 2 more recent logs since things have gotten worse.  Although I was able to play multiple live shows a minute ago. Go figure.

ffmpeg-transcode-c79a6a25-323b-4d60-8dff-ecf2f30ffd03_1.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-72406d39-9d0c-4ce9-82cb-6afee6cd8ed4_1.txt

To answer your questions...I am experiencing very long load times for live tv channels.  I couldn't even play a show I recorded earlier tonight.  I have very recently tried to play 2 or 3 songs and it stops 4 seconds in and starts over.  It's been very weird.  Specifically in this thread it's about the live tv channel load times or unwatchability.  Yep I made that a word. lol

Yes I have scanned libraries on the new drives.  I did a clean install a few days ago, after the drive swaps.  Could the fact the drive I'm using is external?  I feel like I had Emby working better with an internal sata hdd.  But as I mentioned, I have introduced other variables. 

Could the fact the drive I'm using is external? 

Absolutely if it is a slow USB external connection.  But, as you said, you've introduced so many variables at this point that it is really hard to know.

It may be best to start with a new install with a small configuration (even in a test environment if you want to keep what you have).  Leave everything at defaults and just setup Live TV.  How does that work?

• Like 1