Minor Annoyances/Suggestions

Netbug

Netbug

I love this app. I'm running it on a Samsung 10" and it is fantastic.

There's a few things that I find annoying though, and just wanted to bring them up to see if it's just me.

1. Inability to view collections. I have a tonne of short films, documentary films, concerts, stand-up, and feature films. In MBC, I have these separated into collections. However, as these are all mashed together by media type on the 8.1 app, it results in a somewhat frustrating navigation experience. EDIT: I just noticed the "Media Folders" icon on the main menu. This is great. I'd like to modify this suggestion so that we could exclude certain folders/collections from the "Movies" and "TV Shows" section.

2. When viewing "All", having to go down a further level by letter to actually see all the contents of that letter is somewhat frutrating. Is there a technical limitation as to why we can't view all the films sorted alphabetically, without having to go into "A", "B", etc.?

3. When I pause any media for longer than 3-5 minutes or so, when not on the local network (ie. watching over the Internet), the client is never able to resume from that point. I have to restart the media and seek to my previous position.

4. There's no way that I've found to change media servers. I have two media browser servers (one for home, one for the cottage), and each time I change locations, I have to re-enter the information. The same thing happens when I'm on the local network (I enter the local 192 IP) or away (I enter my full domain). It would be nice to be able to select the server at startup.

5. No way to change the aspect ratio of media icons. I use Demonseeds 16x9 icons for television shows, but poster icons for everything else. This results in a mish-match of incorrect aspect ratio icons. It would be nice if there was a way to request the application maintain the original aspect ratio of icons.

6. Is there any way to add to the "Genre" icons? I have a few genres that are missing (Comic Book, Disney, Stand-up, Concert, etc.)

7. I haven't found a way to start watching something on the tablet and then resuming it on another (ie. MBC). Is this possible? Client or server limitation if not?

I just want to reiterate how much I LOVE this application. Thank you so much for your work on it. As a result of it, I've had at least 4 other people switch over to MB for their collections and buy the app. :)

Edited by Netbug

7illusions

Thanks for reporting. :) Without feedback the app will never progress in the right direction

I'm currently abroad on vacation with family but I'll look into this once I get back. (6-7 Days)

but ill give you some quick answers.

1. Do you have the latest version installed? On the main page you should have an option for "MEDIAFOLDERS" which is the new namingconention for Collections

2. If you bring out the charms-menu -> click settings-> general and enable the "Show more data in gridviews"-option you will have as much items as possible without having a too big of an impact on performance.

3. I'll look into it

4. No, not at the moment. Might be added later

5. Not going to happen.

6. They will have to be added on the server. have a look in %Appdata%/Mediabrowserserver folder and you'll figure it out. :)

7. It should work just fine if you have the latest version of Server, app and MBC.

Chers

• Like 1

For #5 I think what he means to say is that for some apps this is really hard to do. Really what we need to start leaning towards is standardization of aspect ratios because the requirement of adjusting to any AR significantly increases the difficulty for the developer.

#6 can be done with the server's web interface. no need to mess with the folders.

• Like 1

Netbug

Noticed one little glitch: In Media Folders, the media is sorted alphabetically, however, it doesn't ignore "The" and "A", so The Daily Show, is under "T" instead of "D" for example.

saitoh183

4. No, not at the moment. Might be added later

I hope this comes sooner then later. Right now im forced to use MBT instead of app because i can switch between my Home MBS and the one i use on my Tablet when im on the go.

• 1 month later...
shadetree

In my case the OP's #4 has been of interest to me. 

MB3 working brilliantly on the HTPC.  Because of the bush, my satellite PC is almost 100 meters away on a Gigabit network.  Installing MB3 server on it would allow Live TV web viewing, but would be seamless if the HTPC MB3 server would allow adding another server as a source.

All your passion is much appreciated but seems we always want more.

My $.02