Remember User Not Working

mylesmar10
Go to solution Solved by mylesmar10,

mylesmar10

Hi there,

I recently replaced my old Roku 3 with a Roku Streaming Stick+ and have found that Remember User doesn't work properly on it.

Emby App Version: beta 3.0.134 (Previously was using stable, but thought maybe beta would fix the problem.  It did not.)

Roku Model: 3810X - Roku Streaming Stick+

Roku Software: 9.0.0 - build 4083-50

Direct/Manually connecting to the server locally on its private IP.

Things I have tried:

• I have verified that Remember User is set to ON, but every time I open the app I have to enter my PIN on my user account.
  • I have tried turning it to OFF, restarting the Roku, signing back in, turning it back to ON, restarting Roku again.
  • I tried installing the beta app, which has the same problem as stable.

The Remember User feature is still working properly on all other Rokus in my house, but I have now set up two Streaming Stick+ and they both fail to remember the user.  The other Rokus include a Roku3, a Roku4, and a Roku Streaming Stick (older model).

Thank you for your help!

Hi.  If you are in your local environment there should be no need for Emby Connect (logging in with PIN).  Have you tried logging in by selecting the server and user?

mylesmar10

Hey ebr thanks for taking time to look into this.

I utilize the “Enable in-network sign in with my easy pin code” feature. I am not using Emby connect, I manually entered the private IP of my server, then chose my user, then entered my pin code.

This works on my older Roku devices, but in the streaming stick+ it makes me select my user and enter my pin every time.

mylesmar10

ebr,

I have sent the log at Jan 09, 2019 0548 CST.

Steps taken:

1. Go to Roku Home
  2. Select Emby Beta
  3. Select user "Myles"
  4. Enter pin code when prompted
  5. Go to settings and turn debug on
  6. Press back, select exit emby
  7. Select Emby Beta from Roku Home
  8. Select user "Myles"
  9. Enter pin code when prompted
  10. Send log

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Your server is advertising no local address.  Do you have a VPN or reverse proxy or something else like that involved?

Does the address show properly on your server dashboard?

• 2 weeks later...
mylesmar10

Sorry for the late reply, been a bit busy.

Emby server does NOT see a local address.  I can see the following error in the logs:

System.Net.NetworkInformation.NetworkInformationException: System.Net.NetworkInformation.NetworkInformationException (2): An error was encountered while querying information from the operating system. ---> System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. (Could not find a part of the path '/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/lo/forwarding'.) (Could not find a part of the path '/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/forwarding'.) (Could not find a part of the path '/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/lo/forwarding'.) (Could not find a part of the path '/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/forwarding'.) (Could not find a part of the path '/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/lo/forwarding'.) (Could not find a part of the path '/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/forwarding'.) ---> System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path '/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/lo/forwarding'.

This makes sense, I am running Emby in a LX container under smartOS on Ubuntu 16.04.  Networking doesn't work quite the same as you would see in a normal virtualization environment.

(Py2.7.13) root@emby:~# ls -lah /proc/sys/net/ipv4/
total 0
dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Jan 17 21:37 .
dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Jan 17 21:37 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jan 17 21:37 ip_local_port_range
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jan 17 21:37 tcp_fin_timeout
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jan 17 21:37 tcp_keepalive_intvl
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jan 17 21:37 tcp_keepalive_time
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jan 17 21:37 tcp_max_syn_backlog
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jan 17 21:37 tcp_rmem
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jan 17 21:37 tcp_sack
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jan 17 21:37 tcp_window_scaling
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jan 17 21:37 tcp_wmem
(Py2.7.13) root@emby:~#

But the IP is local and does not change.

(Py2.7.13) root@emby:~# ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr c2:b1:d0:97:f1:88
          inet addr:192.168.111.230  Bcast:192.168.111.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::c0b1:d0ff:fe97:f188/10 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:74355124 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:132380122 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1
          RX bytes:79424745846 (79.4 GB)  TX bytes:158710257924 (158.7 GB)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:8232  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0   TX bytes:0 (0.0 

BUT as I mentioned, my older Roku devices and my TCL Roku TV all remember my user without issue.  It is only the newer Roku Stick+ devices that are exhibiting this behavior.

Also, a follow up, I updated Emby Server to the new 4.X version that just came out and switched back to the production Emby Roku app, and things have gotten worse.  Now when I open the app it takes me straight to the Emby Connect screen.  If I back out I see my server in the list, select it, and it fails to load my users at all.  I have to now delete the server and re-enter the IP to get the user list up, and login with my PIN code.

I have tried completely removing the Emby app and reinstalling it, but nothing changes.  Again, this is ONLY on the Roku Stick+ devices.  I can record video of the issue if that would help.

Edited by ebr
Formatting

I think you need to get your server to properly report the local address on the dashboard for all of this to work properly.

mylesmar10

I went to Advanced -> Bind to local network address and set it to 192.168.111.230.

The dashboard now shows/recognizes the local IP.  This broke even my older Roku devices.  Now when I open the Emby app on ANY Roku device it goes straight to my user list and requires that I log in.

I reset my PIN so I could sign in as my user without entering a password.  So now my steps to access Emby on any Roku device in my home network are...

1. Go to Emby
  2. Be presented with user list
  3. Select my user
  4. Good to go

I prepended my local username with an underscore so my user is the first/default selected user on the user list.  This is manageable, of course, but the original reason for creation of this thread persists.  If you don't want to dig any deeper I won't cry over it, but I do feel this is a bug.  Let me know if there is anything I can do to assist!

mylesmar10

Hey Luke,

I do not have this issue with the iOS app nor the Emby app for Samsung TVs. Both of these apps are opening straight into the last used user.

• 3 months later...
  • Solution
mylesmar10

Ok, @@speechles will review and test this out, thanks !

Just a heads up to anyone interested, this issue has been resolved as of Emby Server Version 4.1.1.0.  It was still a problem up until this version specifically.  I didn't see it noted in the changelogs but something there fixed it.

Thanks to everyone involved!