File Path with Multiple Versions (HD & UHD) in Library

awdspyder

awdspyder
Hey guys & gals,

I've recently gone down the rabbit hole of getting my UHD Blu-ray collection into Emby.  I have two 4K displays, an LG OLED and a TCL Roku TV, and I'm using the built-in Emby apps quite successfully on both.  Since I only recently decided to start ripping the 4K versions of the disc, a number of the titles already existed in Emby in 1080p.   Furthermore, because I also have devices that will not support 4K, I've decided to go the route of keeping both HD and UHD versions of the rips in Emby, since transcoding UHD is pretty taxing.

I've read the wiki on maintaining multiple versions, and with respect to the library management, this is working nearly perfectly.  I've run into two issues, the first of which is a minor quibble that falls outside of the Emby developers' purview. As I think others have noted here in the forums, it's a roll of the dice whether or not the CoverArt plugin chooses the 4K UHD or BD cover.  However, I have traced the source of the issue to the path that is selected in each title's metadata. Since there is only one path in the metadata, if the HD path wins, you get a BD cover.  If the UHD path for the file appears in the metadata, you get a UHD cover.  I'm curious as to how the winning path is selected, as "Title (Year) - HD.mkv" wins alphabetically over "Title (Year) - UHD.mkv" every time.

It's also notable that the order in the files are added do not seem to impact the path.  I have instances where the HD file was added first, the library scanned, then the UHD file added and the cover changes to 4K after the 2nd library scan.  I've also seen instances where the HD file already existed, the UHD file was added and the BD cover was just updated to show that there were now (2) files for the title.  An interesting problem since the metadata only allows for one path.

This is relevant to the LG app in an odd sort of way.  Whenever the HD path exists in the metadata (BD Cover) the default selection in the LG app for the movie version is UHD.  Whenever the UHD path exists in the metadata (4K UHD Cover), the HD version becomes the default selection in the LG app.  I know - totally contrary to what you would *think* would happen based on the file path.  Ultimately, it would be preferable if the LG app always defaulted the option to UHD when the display is perfectly capable of doing so.  Training my wife to play Mama Mia! 2 in UHD every time just isn't going to happen, but I didn't spend an hour ripping the UHD for nothing!  ;)  

This also becomes relevant when using the Resume option.  If you stop playing a title in UHD that defaults to HD, when you resume the title, you have to remember to also change the dropdown back to UHD.  A minor thing, to be sure, but still an annoyance, especially since the less savvy users aren't ever going to know to do this.

Overall, great work - I'm Plex convert and I'm always impressed with the level of responsiveness Luke, ebr and others display on these forums.

Edited by awdspyder

lorac

I believe that when you have multiple movies the nfo is generated alphabetically.

I name the files (movie name, year) - 4K HDR, Blu-ray and from what i can see I always get 4K as covert art and movie selection.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

awdspyder

Yeah, one would think which is why I mentioned above that all my titles are named either "Title (year) - HD.mkv" or "Title (year) - UHD.mkv" 

I'm very careful with my naming conventions, so the HD file should win every time if it's alphabetical but that isn't what I'm seeing.  I also don't use .nfo files, but not sure if that's relevant.

Hi, thanks for the feedback. The apps will default to the highest quality version that they're capable of direct playing, but our LG app is several months out of date now so it will be a little behind. We currently a new update in LG review that will hopefully be available soon. Thanks.

• Like 1