Files aren't being indexed fully - missing ("2nd-half") files with CD2 in the filenames

zumocast

zumocast

I have a bunch of movie files on my hard-drive that are split into two parts, so the first half of the movie is file-named as "FilenameABC_CD1_MP4.mp4" and the second half is called "FilenameABC_CD2_MP4.mp4".

All these pairs of files are in one folder, which is in the folder path that Emby is indexing for my library.

I haven't chosen any advanced Library options like get metadata, or make frame captures, or find trailers, etc. I just want to index my movies on my hard-drive so I can see them away from the PC.

Yet, when I look at the Emby app (Win [even the one on the main Server PC] or Android or IoS) and look through my library (connected successfully to my Emby server, etc.) and navigate to the folder that contains my movies, it only shows the files with the  "_CD1_" filename in them and doesn't show the 2nd-half files. I have tried all the sorting and filtering options, but it doesn't change the listed movie files. It just shows the CD1 files. I find this very weird indeed.

Any idea why this is happening? Why would it not be indexing half of the files in a folder? And hence, not showing them in the remote apps?

Thanks.

zumocast

Hi there, can you please go over an example? Thanks !

Hi there, I have a Win 10 PC with a 1TB M:\ drive and I have Emby Server for Win installed v3.5.3.0.

I have folder structures in my M:\ drive like...

M:\zumocast\

M:\zumocast\movies\

M:\zumocast\movies\old

M:\zumocast\movies\new

In zumocast\movies\old I have about 10 movie files - but in a pair of files for each complete movie., e.g.

M:\zumocast\movies\old\RaidersLostArk_CD1_MP4.mp4

M:\zumocast\movies\old\RaidersLostArk_CD2_MP4.mp4

M:\zumocast\movies\old\Titanic_CD1_MP4.mp4

M:\zumocast\movies\old\Titanic_CD2_MP4.mp4

M:\zumocast\movies\old\Jumanji_CD1_MP4.mp4

M:\zumocast\movies\old\Jumanji_CD2_MP4.mp4

M:\zumocast\movies\old\TheGodfather_CD1_MP4.mp4

M:\zumocast\movies\old\TheGodfather_CD2_MP4.mp4

M:\zumocast\movies\old\TombRaider_CD1_MP4.mp4

M:\zumocast\movies\old\TombRaider_CD2_MP4.mp4

I have created a library (of video files) in Emby (Server) using   M:\zumocast   as the root level folder to scan.
I haven't chosen any advanced options for the library - like getting meta-data, or trailers, or creating key-frame, chapter-images, title-icons and what-not, etc. I just want the movies files in the directories to be indexed by name.

I leave it over-night to complete indexing the 10 files. and in the morning I connect to my Emby home server from my home WiFi using my iOS or Android Emby apps (one on ipad and one on Android phone).

Both connect to the server and let me navigate to the  M:\zumocast\movies\old  path and then they both just list the following files as available to view...

RaidersLostArk_CD1_MP4.mp4

Titanic_CD1_MP4.mp4

Jumanji_CD1_MP4.mp4

TheGodfather_CD1_MP4.mp4

TombRaider_CD1_MP4.mp4

The other files - that contain the 2nd-half of the movie - i.e. the ones with  CD2  in their filenames - are not shown and cannot be seen/accessed no matter what options/filters/sorting I try within the Emby mobile apps.

This even occurs on the Windows Emby Server itself when I choose to  Browse Library and look through the library it's created; it doesn't show the 2nd-part files at all.

It's like it's just looking at the first 10-15 characters (or whatever) of the filenames and when it reads the 2nd file, deciding it's a duplicate of the first one - based on the initial part of the filename - and ignoring it for indexing.

Does this help make it clearer as to what I'm experiencing?

Cheers.

(I may have to run some tests by creating small test libraries with a selection of such paired files and change their filenames around a bit to see how Emby handles them.)

Deathsquirrel

So this is going to cover a couple things.

First, if you correctly name things that are split you won't see the second half pieces.  Emby will play them back to back under one entry.  that means if you have a movie in two parts you'll see one movie and it will play both parts in sequence.  See the section on split videos at https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie-naming.

Second, there are some downsides to this approach.  I don't recommend it.  get MKVToolnix and merge those files.  You'll get more accurate movie details with the video in a single file.

Finally, your file naming may cause you some recognition issues.  The naming wiki, linked above will help if so.  I suggest you either switch to each movie having it's own, clearly labeled folder or very clearly name each movie file if you plan to keep a flat folder structure, or both.  Big fan of both.

zumocast

Thanks for this information - I wasn't aware of the  "Split video files (file stacking)" handling by Emby.

The information implies that using  "CD#" - where # is 1-9  - in the filenames, will mean the files are handled in the stacking manner.

This also implies that if I change my filenames to use  _CD01_  and _CD02_  (so # is not 1-9, # is 01, etc.)  then it will not be handled in a stacking manner and each file will be indexed and shown separately in the Emby mobile apps. Would you agree with this?

Renaming the movie files (then re-indexing) will be much easier for me than trying to merge the pairs into one file - just from a time perspective.

(My example was only of 10 files but I have hundreds to deal with in reality.)

So this is going to cover a couple things.

First, if you correctly name things that are split you won't see the second half pieces.  Emby will play them back to back under one entry.  that means if you have a movie in two parts you'll see one movie and it will play both parts in sequence.  See the section on split videos at https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie-naming.

Second, there are some downsides to this approach.  I don't recommend it.  get MKVToolnix and merge those files.  You'll get more accurate movie details with the video in a single file.

Finally, your file naming may cause you some recognition issues.  The naming wiki, linked above will help if so.  I suggest you either switch to each movie having it's own, clearly labeled folder or very clearly name each movie file if you plan to keep a flat folder structure, or both.  Big fan of both.

zumocast

Thanks. Do you know the approx. timescale for the release of v3.6? Is it likely to be in the next few weeks, or 2019 Q1? 2019 Q2? etc.? 

The upcoming 3.6 release should do a much better job of handling your folder structure. Thanks.

Deathsquirrel
Renaming the movie files (then re-indexing) will be much easier for me than trying to merge the pairs into one file - just from a time perspective.

(My example was only of 10 files but I have hundreds to deal with in reality.)

Just FYI it's super easy to do.  It may take a while but the results are worth it IMO.

zumocast

Okay, thanks for the info.

I did some quick tests this past hour with a small sample library like the one I gave earlier.

Renaming them to  Filename_CD01... and Filename_CD02 - (then re-indexing/scanning) makes no difference. Emby still doesn't show the  CD02 files, but it does list all the CD01 files.

I then tried Filename_CD-01 and Filename_CD-02 - (then re-indexing/scanning) thinking that not having the numbers directly next to a "stacking keyword" in the filename would help, but it doesn't.

The same thing happens, all the Filename_CD-01 get shown in the Emby apps, but the CD-02 ones don't.

I also found that playing a Filename_CD-01 (or Filename_CD01 or Filename_CD1) file to the end doesn't auto-trigger the continuation file (Filename_CD-02, or Filename_CD02 or Filename_CD2) as I thought it might.

I have now just renamed my files (in my test library)  using a non-triggering stacking keyword and used  Filename_Vid1 and Filename_Vid2, etc., then re-index/scan the library, and this seems to have worked - I now can see ALL the files listed in the Emby mobile app and can watch them as required.  Staying away from the trigger keywords - like CD, disc, part, etc. - as per the link you sent - in the filenames, has ensured all the files are properly indexed and shown.

I just have to do a renaming exercise across my files, and then re-index them.

I hope this information helps others too, who may have a similar issue as this.

Here's also hoping Emby v3.6 has an option to disable this stacking-keyword-triggering during indexing, so that all files (regardless of what their filenames are) get indexed and shown in the Emby apps according to their folder paths, etc.

I'll also look into that MKVToolnix you mentioned, to see if I can try it as a background task to see if it helps.

Thanks.

Just FYI it's super easy to do.  It may take a while but the results are worth it IMO.

Edited by zumocast

Here's also hoping Emby v3.6 has an option to disable this stacking-keyword-triggering during indexing, so that all files (regardless of what their filenames are) get indexed a

it doesn't, but that's not a bad idea for the future. Thanks.