Another "Can't connect remotely" thread

fasfivo

I also want to add that I really appreciate all of you taking the time to try to help me resolve this.  Although unsuccessful so far, I appreciate that there are folks on here who want to help.  Some of my issue is my own ignorance when it comes to all things computer.  I can usually work through issues although at a slow pace, but so far this one is beyond me.  For now, I'll give it a break and get back to something I'm good at.  I'll give it another go later.  Once again, thanks.

Did you also change the port to 22 in the Emby server then restart it?

No I didn't.  Where do you change the port in Emby?  I'm assuming it still won't work since canyouseeme says Port 22 is closed?  I guess it's worth a try . . .

Happy2Play

Not that I recommend it but you could try enabling UPNP on your router and Port Mapping in Emby and see it that works.  Ensure to restart both router and server after change.

• Like 1

Look on the server in the advanced area. But I'm starting to think that maybe your ISP is blocking some of these ports.

OK, reset Router to Port 22.  Firewall access to Port 22.  Emby Server to Port 22.  Reset computer, Emby and Router.  Still won't connect. 

Maybe this is a question I should have asked 3 pages ago - do I need Emby Premiere to get this to work?  I'm using my iPhone to try the remote access.  I have not set up a Premiere account yet since I'm just getting this up and running.  I have no issue paying for a Premiere account if that's what it takes to get this working.

Not that I recommend it but you could try enabling UPNP on your router and Port Mapping in Emby and see it that works.  Ensure to restart both router and server after change.

Thanks.  Just tried this too. Still no workie. 

Maybe I should have asked before, not sure if you have mentioned this so apologies if you have. Do you by chance have a Antivirus Firewall installed or what kind of Antivirus do you have installed? Not sure if related or not. Also, who is your internet provider?

• Like 1

When you say not working, are trying to connect to the server with upnp enabled? If not, try it.

Yes, I enabled upnp and still could not connect.

Maybe I should have asked before, not sure if you have mentioned this so apologies if you have. Do you by chance have a Antivirus Firewall installed or what kind of Antivirus do you have installed? Not sure if related or not. Also, who is your internet provider?

No Antivirus other than what is in Windows 7.  We have Cox as our ISP.  I set everything back to where it was before I started (router, Windows Firewall, etc.) and uninstalled Emby.  In the process now of reinstalling just to see if it will work.

I was able to access Plex remotely, but maybe that works differently.  Still no plans to go back, but just as info, it worked remotely and so far Emby does not.

Happy2Play

Since you mentioned Windows 7, is it fully updated?  

When you reinstalled Emby were the default firewall rules re-added?

Since you mentioned Windows 7, is it fully updated?  

When you reinstalled Emby were the default firewall rules re-added?

Yes, all Windows updates are current - as much as can be with Win7 anyway.

Firewall rules were re-added when I re-installed Emby.

Still can't connect.  I'm sure it's just one simple thing that's not set up correctly.  I'm pretty much done messing with it for now . . .

Arkieboy72472

I feel you dude. Used to, my stuff worked fine. Now it doesn't. I never found a solution. I still prefer emby over Plex, closed source or open. It is just that I wanted it to work as well and no dice. Maybe if we picked different, unused ports to try and see if that made a difference. With windows firewall and router rules, everything should work fine, but it doesn't.

• 2 months later...

Hi New guy to the convo.  So googled for solution and well I'm in the same bind.  Except i have a computer networking background.  But feel as if i'm missing something also.  Nothing seems to work but when on dmz i get through no problem.  I think my provider is blocking a hell of a lot of things.  But again plex worked fine when I had that.  Made the switch because i can't get plex to play anything anymore always locks up on me even with a clean install.  So gonna try to follow all the steps from this thread and see where i get.  Wish me luck lol

Well shit been at it 2 days and couldn't get the port forwarding working.   Because of DMZ i was sure it was the port forwarding.  I did number of resets and nothing.   While trying to sort it out my internet went out and they pushed an update to the router.   After it came back up i decided to try it again.   Well still nothing but i did notice that my router didn't fully restart just reconnected after that update.  So what the hell one more full factory reset did that.   Tried upnp it hung which is more then it ever did but still didn't connect.  so left it on and did a port forward of both 8096  and 8920.  After saving settings and making sure it was enabled tried again and sure enough it connected.  Contacted Cogeco talked to them about my router and the update and got told yes there was a fix for an known issue with port mapping.   Only had the router for 6 months.   They had so many bugs with this thing it still wont stay connected to my Roku TV by WiFi.   Drops constantly.  

So something to check make sure there isn't a problem with the firmware of your router/modem.   Hope everyone else the best of luck.  

Btw if that didn't work it was going to be connect my own router and just bridge mode the damn modem from them.