Another "Can't connect remotely" thread

fasfivo

Relative noob here.  I'm not a "computer guy", but can usually get things working after some googling.  I was a Plex user for a few years and worked through some issues there.  Left Plex a couple weeks ago and don'g plan to go back.  I'm super happy with Emby so far and have learned a lot. 

I've spent quite a lot of time on this and still can't get remote access to my Emby Server.  It works fine on all devices within our network, but can't access from outside.  I'm new to port forwarding and generally don't mess with firewall settings, but have tried both and I "think" I have them set up correctly, but who knows . . . 

I read and re-read the "Connection WIKI" and also read through several similar threads where folks had issues with external connections.  I do have the Emby Connect app on my iPhone.  I see the icon for my Emby server, but when I try to connect, I get the "We're unable to connect to the selected server . . ." message.

I used the links provided on my Emby dashboard to set up my Router and Firewall.

31497265577_6d1267cd49.jpg

I've set up 8096 port forwarding on our Router.

32564649718_5b3e6198b6.jpg

No luck. 

So I accessed our Firewall settings and created an inbound rule to allow access to port 8096 (I think).  I do notice there are 3 rules for Emby and the only one I set up manually was the one labeled "EMBY", so not sure how the other two got there?  Could have been me, as I was in there several times and really didn't know what I was doing.

45524132275_269c128033_z.jpg

Any help appreciated.

Happy2Play

I do notice there are 3 rules for Emby and the only one I set up manually was the one labeled "EMBY", so not sure how the other two got there?  Could have been me, as I was in there several times and really didn't know what I was doing.

Any help appreciated.

Firewall rules were applied during install / first run of embyserver.exe.  At least for Windows, can't comment on other OSes.

5c20065c759da_firewall.jpg

Does canyouseeme.org show your ports are open?

Happy2Play

Does the Dashboard show your correct WAN address?

Can you list your network topology.

Yes, when I use canyouseeme.org from another computer in our house, I get the same WAN address as shown in my Emby dashboard.  Also, it's the same WAN address shown in my Router dashboard.

46437612941_591264225d.jpg

I'd be happy to list my network topology, but I'm clueless as to what that is or how to do that.  

Edited by fasfivo

Happy2Play

Yes, when I use canyouseeme.org from another computer in our house, I get the same WAN address as shown in my Emby dashboard.  Also, it's the same WAN address shown in my Router dashboard.

I'd be happy to list my network topology, but I'm clueless as to what that is or how to do that.  

What devices makeup your network?  (Modem-router-computer)

Is there more then one router in your network configuration?

Have you restarted your router?

Are you able to connect from other devices inside your network?

Yes.  2 Roku's and my iPhone connect fine.  One Roku is hardwired, the other is WiFi.  No issues in network.

Can you try canyouseeme from the same device that you're unable to connect from? Make sure it's on a remote connection. Thanks.

What devices makeup your network?  (Modem-router-computer)

Is there more then one router in your network configuration?

Have you restarted your router?

Motorola MG7550 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem / AC1900 Router combo.

Dell Inspiron Laptop running Win7 SP1

Yes, I've restarted both the modem/router and the computer.  

I do have Linksys SE3008 8 port switch to distribute CAT5e throughout the house also, but guessing that shouldn't make any difference?

Can you try canyouseeme from the same device that you're unable to connect from? Make sure it's on a remote connection. Thanks.

OK, so I turned off WiFi on my iPhone and logged into canyouseeme.org.  Obviously I get a different IP in the "Your IP" box when I do that.  The "Your IP" field is greyed out, so I can't enter the external IP address for my emby server there.  Maybe I'm not understanding how "canyouseeme" is supposed to work? 

Edited by fasfivo

Guest asrequested

Have you enabled allow remote connections, in the advanced section of the server? And disable automatic port mapping, if it's enabled. 

• Like 1

Have you enabled allow remote connections, in the advanced section of the server? And disable automatic port mapping, if it's enabled. 

Allow Remote Connections was already enabled.  Automatic Port Mapping was enabled also.  I disabled it and restarted the server.  Same result.  

Honestly I believe the issue is with my Firewall settings.  I'm not confident my inbound rule setting is correct.  I'll continue trying . . .

Happy2Play

If it were your firewall your local clients would not be able to connect to the server. 

But looking at the existing rules it appears to point to the dll instead of the exe.  You could shut down Emby and delete those two rules, then relaunch Emby to recreate them.

Edited by Happy2Play

You can use https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ but I suspect you will get the same results.

I am out of ideas as there are only 2 requirements Firewall and Port forwarding.

At least this site will allow me to manually enter the Remote IP from my phone.  It says the port is closed.  I'm still leaning toward it being an issue with my Firewall settings.  

Just a long shot, but maybe try enabling (only temporary for testing) dmz to your server and then go to canyouseeme.org. If it shows open, then it's not your server, it's probably your router. But if it still shows closed, then it's your server and not the router. At least then you know were to focus. I guess just a process of elimination. Just a thought.

• Like 1

If it were your firewall your local clients would not be able to connect to the server. 

But looking at the existing rules it appears to point to the dll instead of the exe.  You could shut down Emby and delete those two rules, then relaunch Emby to recreate them.

OK, I shut down emby, then deleted the emby rules in firewall related to the .dll as you suggested.  Shut down and restarted emby but the rules did not reappear in my firewall.  Shut the computer completely down and restarted.  The rules I deleted are still not in the firewall.  The EMBY rule that I manually created for Port 8096 is still there (I didn't delete that one).  Do I need to uninstall and reinstall Emby Server to get those rules to re-load in my firewall? Do I need to point my EMBY rule to an .exe file?  When I created the rule, I allowed access to "Any" program through Port 8096. 

Just a long shot, but maybe try enabling (only temporary for testing) dmz to your server and then go to canyouseeme.org. If it shows open, then it's not your server, it's probably your router. But if it still shows closed, then it's your server and not the router. At least then you know were to focus. I guess just a process of elimination. Just a thought.

Sorry, but you're talking over my head.  I don't know what DMZ is.  I did a quick Google and sort of understand, but don't know how to enable or disable it.

Sorry, but you're talking over my head.  I don't know what DMZ is.  I did a quick Google and sort of understand, but don't know how to enable or disable it.

In your router, you should have a DMZ tab. It basically opens up everything to a specific IP address on your LAN. 

• Like 1

mastrmind11

Try forwarding a different external port to emby if you can't figure out the DMZ setting on your router.

Also I assume by "combo" you mean it's an all-in-one from your internet provider and not a standalone router?

Try forwarding a different external port to emby if you can't figure out the DMZ setting on your router.

Also I assume by "combo" you mean it's an all-in-one from your internet provider and not a standalone router?

OK, I found the DMZ tab on my router.  It already has my IP address assigned with the exception of the last digit.   I don't see anywhere to "turn it on" or whatever.  All the digits are already filled out and there's only an option to fill in the last digit in the IP.  I did try changing it to the IP of my Emby LAN server but was still unable to log in from outside network.  It doesn't give me the option of changing the IP to my external Emby address

Yes by "combo", I mean it's a Modem and Router all in one enclosure.  I replaced my separate Router and Modem with this a couple years ago.  Motorola MG7550.  https://motorolanetwork.com/mg7550.html

Also, here are settings from my "Options" tab in my router.  I haven't changed anything.  Does this all look ok?

46395876002_585445cc2f_z.jpg

45533817685_3fc2a39cc6.jpg

Edited by fasfivo

mastrmind11

OK, I found the DMZ tab on my router. It already has my IP address assigned with the exception of the last digit. I don't see anywhere to "turn it on" or whatever. All the digits are already filled out and there's only an option to fill in the last digit in the IP. I did try changing it to the IP of my Emby LAN server but was still unable to log in from outside network. It doesn't give me the option of changing the IP to my external Emby address

Yes by "combo", I mean it's a Modem and Router all in one enclosure. I replaced my separate Router and Modem with this a couple years ago. Motorola MG7550. https://motorolanetwork.com/mg7550.html

Also, here are settings from my "Options" tab in my router. I haven't changed anything. Does this all look ok?

46395876002_585445cc2f_z.jpg

45533817685_3fc2a39cc6.jpg

Looks fine. Try forwarding a different external port to your local server. Try something like 22 temporarily because it's most likely to not be blocked by your ISP. Also forward both TCP and UDP packets.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Looks fine. Try forwarding a different external port to your local server. Try something like 22 temporarily because it's most likely to not be blocked by your ISP. Also forward both TCP and UDP packets.

Try @@mastrmind11 idea, edit your port forward to 22 in your router and the go to canyouseeme.org and see if it shows open. If not, the DMZ should be enabled when you put in the ip of your server (local ip, not external ip) after you hit save on the DMZ tab. Make sure Emby is running before you try again at canyouseeme.org. If you can't get to 22 or your emby port, then this might be a router issue or ISP issue. Just my guess, gotta get past the router before anything. This is all just best guess for me as I am not familiar with that router, just going off what pictures I see from a quick google search. I would also not have both enabled at the same time, just run port forwarding or DMZ seperate (one disabled while testing the other). 

IF all else fails, maybe try factory resetting your router and try again one step at a time. 

Edited by arche

Try @@mastrmind11 idea, edit your port forward to 22 in your router and the go to canyouseeme.org and see if it shows open. If not, the DMZ should be enabled when you put in the ip of your server (local ip, not external ip) after you hit save on the DMZ tab. Make sure Emby is running before you try again at canyouseeme.org. If you can't get to 22 or your emby port, then this might be a router issue or ISP issue. Just my guess, gotta get past the router before anything. This is all just best guess for me as I am not familiar with that router, just going off what pictures I see from a quick google search. I would also not have both enabled at the same time, just run port forwarding or DMZ seperate (one disabled while testing the other). 

IF all else fails, maybe try factory resetting your router and try again one step at a time. 

OK, I set Port Forwarding to 22 in my router, then set the inbound rule in Firewall to 22 instead of 8096.  canyouseeme still says the port is not open.  I'm just going to start all over I guess.  Not having remote access really isn't a deal breaker for us, as we mostly just view everything at home, just thought it would be a bonus to access remotely.