NVidia Shield vs Windows 10?

livin

I'm currently using Kodi on Win10 to front-end Emby Server (also on Win10).

Considering switching to NVidia Shield looking for info on what works, or doesn't, on one platform vs the other.

Use case is mainly home theater (120" screen, 1080p Sony Projector, 7.1.4 Atmos setup)

My requirements (must haves)

1. Pass though of Dolby TrueHD & DTS-MA

2. Proper down convert 4k videos to 1080p (will upgrade to 4k project soon)

3. Proper 4k display for big screen... must look good as a 120" screen will not hide flaws like a 50" screen

all constructive input appreciated!  (please, no OS bashing)

thx, I read the first thread completely. you mentioned (hammered in ;-)  several times NVidia isn't as capable as Win10 PC (true in the broad sense). But, you didn't give specifics to what was important to running Emby that differentiated Win10 vs NVidia that could be a deciding factor when choosing one vs the other.

I only saw these items...

1. Video player engine in Win10 could play more codecs and HDR better - only matters if you need HDR. Shield plays all standard codes

2. You could use your Harmony remote to keymap directly to Emby menu sections (PVR, Music, etc)

I didnt see anything pertaining to things like...

-- down scaling 4K content to run on 1080p display

-- Pass though of Dolby TrueHD & DTS-MA

-- I'm using a projector through a Denon AVR... Will the NVidia allow it do when I turn on AVR & Projector, Emby is onscreen instantly... no need to navigate and open Emby app every time after a startup of the AVR/Projector?

... Win10 PC is has major problems when the HDMI signal goes away. Resolution goes nuts and app display is hosed (desktop is fine), thus I must kill the running app and restart it to take full screen again at 1080p res.

thx

Guest asrequested

I'm actually going to revise my position, a little. While I still maintain that an HTPC is best, simply because of configurability, the shield just got a nice upgrade with 7.2. Along with ebr making some great improvements to the emby app, using the shield is becoming more favorable.

Now to your points.

-- down scaling 4K content to run on 1080p display

While I don't have a projector, so I can't comment on how downscaling will look at that size, it appeared to be OK on my 55" TV, when using the shield (there are no configuration options). Using an HTPC, you have a plethora of scaling options.

-- Pass though of Dolby TrueHD & DTS-MA

This is a non-issue, shield has great audio bitstreaming support. This area is where I can't use the shield in my home theater. I require more audio control and manipulation.

-- I'm using a projector through a Denon AVR... Will the NVidia allow it do when I turn on AVR & Projector, Emby is onscreen instantly... no need to navigate and open Emby app every time after a startup of the AVR/Projector?

You can leave the app, open. That's what I do. It stays right where I left it, unless the app updates.

... Win10 PC is has major problems when the HDMI signal goes away. Resolution goes nuts and app display is hosed (desktop is fine), thus I must kill the running app and restart it to take full screen again at 1080p res.

Yeah, this is one of the drawbacks of using an HTPC. I imagine that shield doesn't have that issue (I've never tried it). When using an HTPC, there are ways around it. There are EDID devices that can make windows think that the display never gets turned off. In my case, I started using Nvidia GPUs so that I can use dual output and clone the display. So I have a direct connection from GPU to display. And now that Nvidia supports dynamic HDR switching, I have the best of both worlds. 

The shield emby app currently does have one big issue. Cropped 4k HDR. The player is losing the HDR. Also, I'm not sure that shield tonemaps HDR. It didn't, but I'm not sure if that was addressed in the last update. Using the Theater desktop app, that isn't a problem, and remains my personal choice for watching HDR content.

• Like 1

KarlDag

I'm actually going to revise my position, a little. While I still maintain that an HTPC is best, simply because of configurability, the shield just got a nice upgrade with 7.2. Along with ebr making some great improvements to the emby app, using the shield is becoming more favorable.

Now to your points.

While I don't have a projector, so I can't comment on how downscaling will look at that size, it appeared to be OK on my 55" TV, when using the shield (there are no configuration options). Using an HTPC, you have a plethora of scaling options.

This is a non-issue, shield has great audio bitstreaming support. This area is where I can't use the shield in my home theater. I require more audio control and manipulation.

You can leave the app, open. That's what I do. It stays right where I left it, unless the app updates.

Yeah, this is one of the drawbacks of using an HTPC. I imagine that shield doesn't have that issue (I've never tried it). When using an HTPC, there are ways around it. There are EDID devices that can make windows think that the display never gets turned off. In my case, I started using Nvidia GPUs so that I can use dual output and clone the display. So I have a direct connection from GPU to display. And now that Nvidia supports dynamic HDR switching, I have the best of both worlds.

The shield emby app currently does have one big issue. Cropped 4k HDR. The player is losing the HDR. Also, I'm not sure that shield tonemaps HDR. It didn't, but I'm not sure if that was addressed in the last update. Using the Theater desktop app, that isn't a problem, and remains my personal choice for watching HDR content.

What changed in 7.2 that makes you so happy about it? Seemed like a small change to me.

Guest asrequested

What changed in 7.2 that makes you so happy about it? Seemed like a small change to me.

I haven't really tested it much, but these are all the changes that were made. And as I mentioned, it wasn't just the upgrade, it's also the changes that ebr has made, that make it more favorable.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1088152/shield-tv/shield-experience-upgrade-7-2/

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1090613/shield-tv/shield-experience-7-2-1-release/

• Like 1

KarlDag

I haven't really tested it much, but these are all the changes that were made. And as I mentioned, it wasn't just the upgrade, it's also the changes that ebr has made, that make it more favorable.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1088152/shield-tv/shield-experience-upgrade-7-2/

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1090613/shield-tv/shield-experience-7-2-1-release/

I've seen this, but like I said it doesn't sound big to me. Guess it depends on needs.

I read somewhere they had included auto color space switching, but can't find proof... Do you know?

Guess I'll go read about what ebr changed. Thanks

Guest asrequested

I've seen this, but like I said it doesn't sound big to me. Guess it depends on needs.

I read somewhere they had included auto color space switching, but can't find proof... Do you know?

Guess I'll go read about what ebr changed. Thanks

@@Jdiesel can probably answer that, better than I can