Wav files and metadata hassle

twinkybot

Deathsquirrel

For my music I run it through Picard to collect data and then use MP3Tag to clean it all up.  Picard puts some interesting, cough*utternonsense*cough, data in the files by default, IMO.

twinkybot

@@Luke can you please enlighten me where Emby stores meta data?

I ripped a CD again. Deleted the previous folder. Checked the tags. It's only v2.4.

The Artist is named Therapy? and Emby identifies it as Shock Therapy.

If I change the meta data via Emby I cannot save it. Or it is immediately changed back.

Also for Compilations with Artists as Various Artists, Emby uses a random Artist from my Library which sticks now. Even if I remove all files and add them again. And this random Artist is certainly not present in these compilations.

ginjaninja

@@Luke can you please enlighten me where Emby stores meta data?

I ripped a CD again. Deleted the previous folder. Checked the tags. It's only v2.4.

The Artist is named Therapy? and Emby identifies it as Shock Therapy.

If I change the meta data via Emby I cannot save it. Or it is immediately changed back.

Also for Compilations with Artists as Various Artists, Emby uses a random Artist from my Library which sticks now. Even if I remove all files and add them again. And this random Artist is certainly not present in these compilations.

"therapy" matched to and shown as "shock therapy" in ui is a known issue. i have "daughter" matched as "buffalo daughter"

given the issues you are investigating i would ignore this for now and do your testing on artists that are not a substring match of another artist.

have not seen that issue with various artists, on my compilations i use artist tag for artist and albumartist tag as "various artists"...im on beta channel .

using 2.4 alone should be fine.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Edited by ginjaninja

twinkybot

A Bug I noticed is when adding a Library sometimes after clicking Save the window does not close. If now one hits Save again, for each click a new Library is created.

Happens for example if I think the Touchpad didn't register the touch click and I click again.

And new Libraries should not be added as default to users.

twinkybot

To circumvent any caching I removed the library and moved files to another folder and added the music library again. Let's see what will happen.

I am BTW on Version 3.6.0.81 beta

But the metadata hassle was even on stable :) at least for me.

twinkybot

To circumvent any caching I removed the library and moved files to another folder and added the music library again. Let's see what will happen.

I am BTW on Version 3.6.0.81 beta

But the metadata hassle was even on stable :) at least for me.

After moving the library to a new folder at least for "Therapy?" Emby recognized it properly. But for the "Various Artists" I still have the same :o not related Artist.

twinkybot

Very interesting behaviour, which Emby is showing :D

Now Albums from the Genre "Folk" are introduced to "Apocalyptic Folk" which is not really related :D

EDIT: and Albums of Genre "Swing" are now included in "Electro Swing" :o Very different genre.

Edited by twinkybot

Deathsquirrel

@@twinkybot are you sure your tags are all correct?  Emby almost exclusively uses tags for music metadata and in every case I've ever run into like you're describing there were screwed up tags in my files.  I suggest loading the files in MP3Tag and checking the extended tags for the source of these issues.

Very interesting behaviour, which Emby is showing :D

Now Albums from the Genre "Folk" are introduced to "Apocalyptic Folk" which is not really related :D

EDIT: and Albums of Genre "Swing" are now included in "Electro Swing" :o Very different genre.

Check the embedded metadata. It is the same thing as before with the 175 genre. It may have seemed as though there was no explanation for the genre to be showing, but then later it was found embedded within the file.

twinkybot

@@Luke I set up a VM installed Windows installed mp3tag and tagscanner. And for the "The Chameleons" for example there is no tag which has the value "(175)".

It shows the same data as the linux programms.

Has anyone an idea which programm I can use to see possible hidden metadata?

ryandavidg

Does mp3tag show more than one type of tag format? eg in the below for 'Brown Sugar' there are ID3v1 tags present, but it is only showing the details for v2.3:

5b8660429887c_tag.png

Edited by ryandavidg

ryandavidg

Or if you're using FLAC (I just re-read the thread but am not 100% which format you are using now) does it indicate ID3 tags as well as FLAC tags in a similar way to the above?

ryandavidg

Sorry for the multiple posts, but just to illustrate how I'd view ID3v1 tags if both are present (as in above view), in that options menu I'd untick 'Read ID3v2' and then refresh file view, which yields something like this

IVSOeMDx_o.png

Now it's saying there are v1 and v2 tags present but it is showing me v1.

Edited by ryandavidg

ryandavidg

Ah, ok. Although even then there can be problems, eg Exact Audio Copy has an option to include ID3 tags in FLACs when ripping, which causes all sorts of issues as only FLAC tags should be included. Anyway, I haven't done too much with WAVs for a long time so I'll chime out at this point.

twinkybot

@ryvandavid I moved to flac. So no worries :)

And I use Asunder for ripping and there are only four fields: Artist, Album, Genre and Year. The rest is done either by Picard, EasyTag or Emby :)

ryandavidg

FLAC has worked really well for my library, but remember not to use ID3 tags in FLAC files (not sure if that last screenshot was from FLAC files), as it will cause various issues. See this thread, incl a batch approach to sorting it out (for FLAC tracks containing both FLAC and ID3 tags) on page 3.

Just thought I'd mention it for anyone reading, although you're probably aware.

Edited by ryandavidg

twinkybot

@@Luke Interestingly the files of "The Chameleons" are mp3. And if I remove the Genre Tag "Post-Punk" then the Genre "(175)" vanishes. If I add "Post_Punk" to the meta data again the Genre "(175)" comes back. So obviously it has to do with the parsing of the meta data of those files.

Hey folks. Sorry to jump on the thread but I have a question about wav tags too.

I have a bunch of wavs tagged using Bliss that worked fine with my previous setup of Synology media server and BubbleUpnp.

However these tags are not picked up by Emby. I think that Bliss tags using ID3; does Emby only read RIFF tags? Cheers!

@@Luke Interestingly the files of "The Chameleons" are mp3. And if I remove the Genre Tag "Post-Punk" then the Genre "(175)" vanishes. If I add "Post_Punk" to the meta data again the Genre "(175)" comes back. So obviously it has to do with the parsing of the meta data of those files.

The issue is the way it is written. Try using a tool that will overwrite all versions of idv3 into the file and then you won't have this problem.

Hey folks. Sorry to jump on the thread but I have a question about wav tags too.

I have a bunch of wavs tagged using Bliss that worked fine with my previous setup of Synology media server and BubbleUpnp.

However these tags are not picked up by Emby. I think that Bliss tags using ID3; does Emby only read RIFF tags? Cheers!

Can you provide a sample file for testing? thanks.

Happy2Play

It would appear ffprobe does not see those embedded tags.

C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system>ffprobe -i "C:\Users\Media\Desktop\New to Process\01 Half Remembered Dream.wav"
ffprobe version 4.0.2-emby_2018_12_09-g5abbb1430d+238 Copyright (c) 2007-2018 the FFmpeg developers
  built with gcc 8.2.1 (Rev1, Built by MSYS2 project) 20181207
  configuration:  --disable-autodetect --enable-amf --enable-bzlib --enable-cuda --enable-cuvid --enable-d3d11va --enable-dxva2 --enable-iconv --enable-lzma --enable-nvenc --enable-zlib --enable-sdl2 --disable-debug --enable-ffnvcodec --enable-nvdec --enable-gmp --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopus --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-fontconfig --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libfreetype --enable-libmfx --enable-libmysofa --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libsnappy --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libxml2 --enable-libzimg --enable-libshine --enable-gpl --enable-avisynth --enable-libxvid --enable-libaom --enable-version3 --enable-libzvbi --enable-gnutls --extra-cflags=-DLIBTWOLAME_STATIC --extra-libs=-lstdc++ --extra-cflags=-DLIBXML_STATIC --extra-libs=-liconv
  libavutil      56. 14.100 / 56. 14.100
  libavcodec     58. 18.100 / 58. 18.100
  libavformat    58. 12.100 / 58. 12.100
  libavdevice    58.  3.100 / 58.  3.100
  libavfilter     7. 16.100 /  7. 16.100
  libswscale      5.  1.100 /  5.  1.100
  libswresample   3.  1.100 /  3.  1.100
  libpostproc    55.  1.100 / 55.  1.100
Input #0, wav, from 'C:\Users\Media\Desktop\New to Process\01 Half Remembered Dream.wav':
  Duration: 00:01:11.97, bitrate: 1411 kb/s
    Stream #0:0: Audio: pcm_s16le ([1][0][0][0] / 0x0001), 44100 Hz, 2 channels, s16, 1411 kb/s

Opened and saved in mp3tag (resaved existing tags)

C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system>ffprobe -i "C:\Users\Media\Desktop\New to Process\01 Half Remembered Dream.wav"
ffprobe version 4.0.2-emby_2018_12_09-g5abbb1430d+238 Copyright (c) 2007-2018 the FFmpeg developers
  configuration:  --disable-autodetect --enable-amf --enable-bzlib --enable-cuda --enable-cuvid --enable-d3d11va --enable-dxva2 --enable-iconv --enable-lzma --enable-nvenc --enable-zlib --enable-sdl2 --disable-debug --enable-ffnvcodec --enable-nvdec --enable-gmp --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopus --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-fontconfig --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libfreetype --enable-libmfx --enable-libmysofa --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libsnappy --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libxml2 --enable-libzimg --enable-libshine --enable-gpl --enable-avisynth --enable-libxvid --enable-libaom --enable-version3 --enable-libzvbi --enable-gnutls --extra-cflags=-DLIBTWOLAME_STATIC --extra-libs=-lstdc++ --extra-cflags=-DLIBXML_STATIC --extra-libs=-liconv
Input #0, wav, from 'C:\Users\Media\Desktop\New to Process\01 Half Remembered Dream.wav':
  Metadata:
    album           : Inception
    artist          : Hans Zimmer
    title           : Half Remembered Dream
    track           : 1
    date            : 2010
    Stream #0:0: Audio: pcm_s16le ([1][0][0][0] / 0x0001), 44100 Hz, 2 channels, s16, 1411 kb/s
Edited by Happy2Play

twinkybot

Ha ffprobe did the trick for me as well. Now I can see the genre tag "(175)"

Very intriguing.

@@Happy2Play Thanks for the hint :)

Edited by twinkybot

It would appear ffprobe does not see those embedded tags.

Opened and saved in mp3tag (resaved existing tags)

Metadata:
    album           : Inception
    artist          : Hans Zimmer
    title           : Half Remembered Dream
    track           : 1
    date            : 2010

It seems album, artist, and title. What's missing?