Wav files and metadata hassle

twinkybot

twinkybot

Hello,

I am slowly changing my music to wav files but I leads to some problems.

Independent of what I try the artist won't stick.

It even gets deleted all the time. Even if I set lockdata to true.

Furthermore even if I add a folder.jpg the image of the album does not show up.

The folder looks like this

ls music/The\ Jesus\ and\ Mary\ Chain/Original\ Album\ Series/Automatic
03-01.\ The\ Jesus\ and\ Mary\ Chain\ -\ Original\ Album\ Series\ -\ Automatic\ -\ Here\ Comes\ Alice.wav
03-02.\ The\ Jesus\ and\ Mary\ Chain\ -\ Original\ Album\ Series\ -\ Automatic\ -\ Coast\ to\ Coast.wav
03-03.\ The\ Jesus\ and\ Mary\ Chain\ -\ Original\ Album\ Series\ -\ Automatic\ -\ Blues\ From\ a\ Gun.wav
03-04.\ The\ Jesus\ and\ Mary\ Chain\ -\ Original\ Album\ Series\ -\ Automatic\ -\ Between\ Planets.wav
03-05.\ The\ Jesus\ and\ Mary\ Chain\ -\ Original\ Album\ Series\ -\ Automatic\ -\ UV\ Ray.wav
03-06.\ The\ Jesus\ and\ Mary\ Chain\ -\ Original\ Album\ Series\ -\ Automatic\ -\ Her\ Way\ of\ Praying.wav
03-07.\ The\ Jesus\ and\ Mary\ Chain\ -\ Original\ Album\ Series\ -\ Automatic\ -\ Head\ On.wav
03-08.\ The\ Jesus\ and\ Mary\ Chain\ -\ Original\ Album\ Series\ -\ Automatic\ -\ Take\ It.wav
03-09.\ The\ Jesus\ and\ Mary\ Chain\ -\ Original\ Album\ Series\ -\ Automatic\ -\ Halfway\ to\ Crazy.wav
03-10.\ The\ Jesus\ and\ Mary\ Chain\ -\ Original\ Album\ Series\ -\ Automatic\ -\ Gimme\ Hell.wav
03-11.\ The\ Jesus\ and\ Mary\ Chain\ -\ Original\ Album\ Series\ -\ Automatic\ -\ Drop.wav
03-12.\ The\ Jesus\ and\ Mary\ Chain\ -\ Original\ Album\ Series\ -\ Automatic\ -\ Sunray.wav
album.nfo

As I cannot upload the nfo File I will post a snippet. I tried to add the artist tags as follows. The original is simply without the artist and albumartist tag.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<album>
  <review />
  <outline />
  <lockdata>false</lockdata>
  <dateadded>2018-12-21 15:56:54</dateadded>
  <title>Automatic</title>
  <runtime>43</runtime>
  <art />
  <artist>The Jesus and Mary Chain</artist>
  <albumartist>The Jesus and Mary Chain</albumartist>
  <track>
    <title>03-01. The Jesus and Mary Chain - Original Album Series - Automatic - Here Comes Alice</title>
    <duration>03:54</duration>
  </track>

twinkybot

Wow, I didn't look into wavs a long time. Didn'T know they could contain meta data.

But kid3 shows nothing.

I will try to tag them and see if it helps.

twinkybot

Challenging ;(

1. I tagged files with kid3.

2. Moved folders out of lib directory.

3. Waited for scan (Albums weren't showing in Emby anymore)

4. Deleted nfo files in folders.

5. moved folders back

6. still same outcome

twinkybot

One of those Wav Albums look in the UI like attached.

Kid3 shows the meta data properly, also see attached image.

post-74071-0-77957800-1545480965_thumb.png

post-74071-0-15224000-1545481126_thumb.png

Edited by twinkybot

Looks like they are not tagged with artist information, and that's why the album page does not show the artist.

twinkybot

With flac I had more issues on Android. Wav files can be played natively. Yes Android should play flac too, but it simply didn't. Maybe with Android 7.1.x, which I did not try.

@@Luke Interpet should be the Artist. Do you think it is the wrong tag? I will try to use Artist and will come back.

EDIT: Interpret is the german LAbel for artist if you look at the line with the curly braces: %{track}. %{artist} - %{album} - %{title}

Edited by twinkybot

@@twinkybot, that is the file name. What I'm asking about is embedded metadata. Does the track contain embedded artist information? Can you provide a sample for testing? Thanks.

These wav files are not tagged with any embedded metadata. Are you on windows? You can see this for yourself in Windows Explorer by browsing your folders with detail view and looking at the Title, Album, and Artist columns. This is why you don't get artist links in Emby.

twinkybot

Okay with FLAC it works like a charm :)

Still wondering why the artist tag got deleted in the nfo files.

Now another question if I may ask.

I bought Original-Album-Series from The Jesus and Mary Chain. Which contains five albums with specific album titles.

Is there a way to show the tag "Originalalbum" in the UI?

Either next to the Album or before the disc number?

post-74071-0-72156100-1545911568_thumb.png

HI

Not really. Various labels have grouped artist releases into a multi-cd package. A grouping of individual releases over a time frame or while they were under contract to that label.

The Original Album Series is Warner Music's

"Here you will find everything you need to know about Warner Music's Original Album Series range, it's 5 classic albums from your favourite artist, repackaged with their original audio and artwork into a fantastically compact and collectable set. Perfect for discovering new music or remembering old collections that may have been lost along the way - all at an amazing low price! "

it is a matter of preference/opinion of how you treat them. Not that it is right for anybody but me :) . I split them into the individual albums and treat them as such. 

I believe Picard has the concept of a subtitle that shows in the above example

5c25467ebaa15_Annotation20181227163747.j

Just one opinion, hope it helps

• Like 1

twinkybot

@@Vicpa Yes thanks! This is also where I got my information from. MusicBrainz.

@@Luke I do not know if this happens often, but I have couple of CDs which are grouped in this way. And MusicBrainz has those set up as explained by Vicpa.

As seen in the attachment Picard would fill the following meta data:

* Original Album (translates easily :D) with the album name

* Tonträger-Untertitle (is the one Vicpa meant, Translates to "Sound carrier sub-title") with the album name.

Cheers.

post-74071-0-10175900-1545990108_thumb.png

Yea it's possible for the future, but given the low frequency of this, it's unlikely to happen right now. Thanks.

twinkybot

After having issues again with the metadata I thought maybe there is some caching going on. So I removed the Library, removed all undesired nfo files, cleared the cache of the Browser.

Now I got two genres which I cannot relate to. See attachment.

Those are empty as well. So how to identify where they are coming from? The covers indicated albums but the nfo is empty and the genre is set correctly. The metadata seems fine. Maybe there is some content which is breaking the parsing?

I had this issue a lot with the album from "The Chamelons" and the Genre (175). Altough this time the weird genre is set in the files itself and not on the artist or album level. At least this is what the Metadata mangager is telling me. I will send you an example file again.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<album>
  <review />
  <outline />
  <lockdata>false</lockdata>
  <lockedfields>Genres</lockedfields>
  <dateadded>2018-09-29 10:05:44</dateadded>
  <title>Strange Times</title>
  <year>1993</year>
  <runtime>78</runtime>
  <genre>Post-Punk</genre>
  <studio>Geffen Records</studio>
  <musicbrainzalbumid>3699ccdf-f857-3545-bd52-212e81c508f3</musicbrainzalbumid>
  <musicbrainzreleasegroupid>7777c379-1dc4-33e1-a6f2-1ea30b25b106</musicbrainzreleasegroupid>
  <art>
    <poster>/media/Big/music/The Chameleons/Strange Times/folder.jpg</poster>
  </art>
  <artist>The Chameleons</artist>
  <albumartist>The Chameleons</albumartist>
  <track>
    <title>01-03. The Chameleons - Strange Times - Tears (original arrangement)</title>
    <duration>05:07</duration>
  </track>
</album>

post-74071-0-78144000-1546013359_thumb.png

post-74071-0-61472800-1546013366_thumb.png

Edited by twinkybot

twinkybot

Interesting but where?

With the program kid3, Picard and EasyTag i have "Post-Punk" as genre.

As I only have linux systems. I cannot verify it on a windos program. @@Luke If you cannot look at the meta data, I will try to get a VM going.

Somewhere this data has to come from, right?

post-74071-0-82204500-1546045014_thumb.png

post-74071-0-04759800-1546045025_thumb.png

post-74071-0-73900700-1546045036_thumb.png

ginjaninja

post-165-0-98010000-1546089296_thumb.png

i dont use these settings personally in picard  but it looks very similar to what i use in mp3tag.

basically i ensure all versions of all tags are removed from the files and then write id3v2 2.3 utf-16 and nothing else.

• Like 2