Library sync makes library's inaccessible

draic

I am looking for a good remote photo gallery solution and tried if my emby server could serve that purpose aswell. I added my photo folder to emby and let it work its magic, but after more than a week never finishing the library scan (yes, it's big), I grew impatient and removed the photo library again. Problem is that the library scan is now still not able to finish anymore. Updating my individual libraries one by one is no issue, but scan all libraries is.

It will get up to 90% in no time and I believe after that there is a cleaning process going on in the background? Anyways it eventually crawls to 99,4% and stays there. My big issue however is, that it will make the server inaccessable. Emby apps (atleast on android and I tested the windows one) will only show the loading spin, but will not show me my libraries, ever (server dashboard works fine with some patience). In a browser it will show up after waiting 5 minutes, but no dice with any apps. If I cancel the library scan (takes a long time to abort), everything will work just fine once again.

My logs shows that the scan is indeed cleaning up:

2018-12-20 07:26:31.771 Info App: Deleting item, Type: PhotoAlbum, Name: xxxx, Path: /mnt/pics/yyy/zzz, Id: 3aabc1b2-6e2d-ca79-8ad4-37e4e831d04f

Nothing else in the logs is indicating problems, but these clean up messages only come up on occasion.

The server is on fairly beefy hardware so that can't be an issue. Is there any way to specifically trigger a clean up task only that can work this out faster? Why is the cleaning such an issue after dropping the whole library anyways?

Edited by draic

12 hours later I have reached 100% but nothing as changed. 4hours ago was the last clean up message in the log, the android client connected to the server quite often (like in the log I attached before; didnt use my phone at all), but nothing loads on the app. I can not use the emby server at all at the moment. Even the web client will not show anything for the libraries.

Kodi just quits with an error. Kodi log states: "18:47:25.392 101425.937500 T:1921837184   ERROR: Playlist Player: skipping unplayable item: 0, path [plugin://plugin.video.emby.tvshows/8d65d778ac6a9425083f22a901fe7199/?dbid=4752&mode=play&id=fd7355f3c8a8a377fa8d00c6572ff827&filename=%5BBlurayDesuYo%5D+ReZero+kara+Hajimeru+Isekai+Seikatsu+-+08+%28BD+1920x1080+10bit+FLAC%29+%5BF99090D4%5D.mkv]"

I aborted the scan now and the server snaps back to life. All clients work again and kodi playback starts without issues. But as long as scanning is running, the server totally freezes. This was never an issue before. Normal scans worked just fine but for some reason the clean up now is grinding it to a halt

Edited by draic

Hi, what if you shutdown all kodi clients, and remove the kodi sync plugin from the server. then restart the server and run a library scan. does the scan perform better? thanks.

Hi, what if you shutdown all kodi clients, and remove the kodi sync plugin from the server. then restart the server and run a library scan. does the scan perform better? thanks.

wow I believe uninstalling the kodi plugin did the trick. After uninstalling it and a server restart the log shows so much more activity. Before the only cleaning entries were about whole albums (see above) and now the log is filling fast with clean up on individual pictures like this:

2018-12-20 19:43:49.653 Info App: Cleaning item 233624_01 type: Photo path: /mnt/pics/xyz/233624_01.jpg

2018-12-20 19:43:49.653 Info App: Deleting item, Type: Photo, Name: 233624_01, Path: /mnt/pics/xyz/233624_01.jpg, Id: 4979810f-7dbd-3bd5-0549-d9d422622b84

So for some reason the kodi plugin was blocking the process (even though no kodi client was connecting to the server for hours). Now it is processing again. The log after just a few minutes is filled with hundreds of these entries. And now all clients can connect without issues even during the cleaning process and work like normal. I believe this will work itself out now just fine.

THANK YOU!!! :) I would have never guessed to blame the plugin