Photo

Emby Devs & Users learn from the Plex Debacle.

Plex

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 One2Go OFFLINE  

One2Go

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • Local time: 08:28 PM

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:49 PM

This is the fundamental difference and why some of their users feel alienated (myself included). The server owner is the customer and that's where the focus should be. It's taken a good year of me for to accept that the product I absolutely loved is going to continue to steer away from what originally drew me to it. I still feel a little weird being here but am very grateful that Emby has picked up where Plex veered off course. 

@cayars made another point in the Plex forum thread which had the lengthy discussion on whose users they are and it is this. The users at the admin's server have never requested any emails from Plex. When they started to receive emails from Plex they received Unsolicited Commercial Emails (UCEs) which I am sure Plex covered their ass somewhere in their fine print. Emby on the other hand doesn't care who connects to the admin's server and will never spam the inbox of those users with UCEs.

Finally you have to come to terms with the Plex's transformation, if it looks like a turd, smells like a turd and has the distinct format of a turd, then only one conclusion it is a turd. No one in their sane mind would pick up and hug a turd, you burn the implement used to get rid of the turd.

Welcome to Emby the more then better Plex+ :P

• cayars likes this

#42 meatball OFFLINE  

meatball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Local time: 05:28 PM

Posted 16 February 2019 - 07:44 PM

Hey thanks. @cayars has made a lot of excellent points; much to the chagrin of plex co. It’s hard to argue well articulated facts.

The thing I’ve found interesting is their approach that we’re discussing here, our users VS plex’s users. I don’t fault anyone for trying to make a good living. I also understand that for someone like me, that paid $75 for a lifetime pass 5+ years probably isn’t real profitable. But they’ve never tried to really find a way to monetize me further. Before going after the people we share with, ad supported content etc id think they’d want to develop features/services for the server owners. The ones already deeply invested in it’s use.

Maybe I’m looking at too naively but the current approach is obviously turning long time users away and it’s hard to see that being sustainable either.

All that said, I’m very happy to be here. It’s definitely a change for the positive.
  • cayars likes this

#43 Gilgamesh_48 OFFLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 16 February 2019 - 08:09 PM

Hey thanks. @cayars has made a lot of excellent points; much to the chagrin of plex co. It’s hard to argue well articulated facts.

The thing I’ve found interesting is their approach that we’re discussing here, our users VS plex’s users. I don’t fault anyone for trying to make a good living. I also understand that for someone like me, that paid $75 for a lifetime pass 5+ years probably isn’t real profitable. But they’ve never tried to really find a way to monetize me further. Before going after the people we share with, ad supported content etc id think they’d want to develop features/services for the server owners. The ones already deeply invested in it’s use.

Maybe I’m looking at too naively but the current approach is obviously turning long time users away and it’s hard to see that being sustainable either.

All that said, I’m very happy to be here. It’s definitely a change for the positive.

I have switched almost everything from Plex to Emby. I do NOT agree with everything Emby has done in their apps BUT the really huge difference is that it is quite clear that Emby will listen and debate while Plex, if they listen at all, does not debate at all but rather just makes flat statements and then state that there will never be any change. That is Plex agrees with their users provided their users agree with them.

The only reaction I have seen that is at all related to users desires was/is the reaction to their "new" Roku interface. That reaction was to reissue the "old" app and state that they would rewrite the "new" one to better fit what the users want.

I think there were only about five or six of us that actually liked their new app.

Emby, on the other hand, has really listened to those of us running the beta Roku app and made several changes in direct response to user feedback. Emby even made a cosmetic change to their web interface involving the "Identify" functionality within a couple of hours of the suggestion being made.

I have made many suggestions for changes in Emby and every single one was answered by Emby. Of course requests to Emby are like prayers, they are always answered but, sometimes, the answer is no.

I had also made many many suggestions to Plex in the past and Plex only responded to a very very few and their answer was always no.

This basic difference is why I am now almost totally with Emby and why I have switched many of the people I know over to Emby. Plex is almost completely no longer relevant to my media usage.

I just wish Emby would implement everything I want because it is clear that the way I want to view and access my media is the only "right" way. ;) :P B) :rolleyes:

Edited by Gilgamesh_48, 16 February 2019 - 08:10 PM.

• CBers and cayars like this

#44 Diedrich OFFLINE  

Diedrich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 12:30 AM

I began running a HTPC in late 2014. At that time I only knew of Plex. I installed it and INSTANTLY was turned off by the nickel and dime'ing. A quick Google search for Plex alternative directed me to Emby. I've been a very happy premier user ever since!

The past year or so I changed to a monthly subscription because I believe in Emby that much that I want Luke, ebr, and all the other devs I don't know their names to have enough capital to continue to bring us better, smoother, faster, feature-rich server software and clients.

@Luke must never sleep. He's probably an AI with six arms and three heads. The guy is always on the forums answering questions, solving problems, listening to comments, suggestions, complaints - and he never (rarely?) shows any anger or emotion over the keyboard. He's a true professional and I have no doubts Emby is his passion. @ebr is also as collected as he.

If you are a developer of the Emby server or its numerous clients or other back-end and your name doesn't get mentioned, know this; Thank you for all your hard work, we really appreciate it and we are thankful you allow us to supply our own local content the way we want to consume it.
  • CBers, jasonmcroy, Marc_G and 6 others like this

#45 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12276 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 01:36 AM

@Luke must never sleep. He's probably an AI with six arms and three heads. The guy is always on the forums answering questions, solving problems, listening to comments, suggestions, complaints - and he never (rarely?) shows any anger or emotion over the keyboard. He's a true professional and I have no doubts Emby is his passion. @ebr is also as collected as he.

If you are a developer of the Emby server or its numerous clients or other back-end and your name doesn't get mentioned, know this; Thank you for all your hard work, we really appreciate it and we are thankful you allow us to supply our own local content the way we want to consume it.

Totally this ^^

• cayars likes this

#46 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2945 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 09:34 AM

@cayars made another point in the Plex forum thread which had the lengthy discussion on whose users they are and it is this. The users at the admin's server have never requested any emails from Plex. When they started to receive emails from Plex they received Unsolicited Commercial Emails (UCEs) which I am sure Plex covered their ass somewhere in their fine print. Emby on the other hand doesn't care who connects to the admin's server and will never spam the inbox of those users with UCEs.

They were the same conversations I and other Ninjas had had with them in private as well. They just have a clearly different view of what a "user is" and their philosophy on their new content model clearly shows this.  Server admin's can't control this content in any shape or form.  No access restrictions of any kind as it's not "their content" to manage. Plex has made this pretty clear.

Finally you have to come to terms with the Plex's transformation, if it looks like a turd, smells like a turd and has the distinct format of a turd, then only one conclusion it is a turd. No one in their sane mind would pick up and hug a turd, you burn the implement used to get rid of the turd.

Please don't desecrate the turd by comparing it to Plex.  Farmers love that "crap" and use it to grow food. This kind of sh*t has a real use.

Sorry couldn't resist. LOL

Ironically, I was a huge fan of the prototype IDEA of doing this but hated the implementation.  I had been after them to combine servers for a while which I think started this, but not sure.  But as often the case Plex takes a good idea and mucks it up.  The original intention I had proposed was to combine ADMIN SERVERS under one menu system, NOT ALL SERVERS.  The idea was to allow an admin to split their libraries among different servers.  Think TV Shows on one server while movies on another.  This would have been great for NAS users or later Shield TV servers.  Got 2 or 3 Shield TVs in the house?  Setup them up to act as servers with split functionality.  One with movies, one with TV Shows, one with music and home movies, etc Starting to use Plex Cloud?  Combine your local and cloud server, etc

Then when connecting instead of picking "Cayars Server1", "Cayars Server 2", "Cayars Server3" you would just connect to "Cayars" and get the combined list of libraries presented as if it were one big system (but ONLY my servers).  I still think this is a great idea and would love to see Emby do this correctly. :)  Using the Shield TVs as an example if one Shield TV can handle transcoding of 3 streams then with 3 different devices you could support possibly up to 9 transcode sessions in an ideal sequence of use.

Same thing with multiple "true servers on PCs".  You could split the load to 2 or more PC with QuickSync and get 5 or 6 (guessing) transcode sessions from each server without needing CPU resources.

But then Plex in it's infinite wisdom made two tragic mistakes.  First it combined ALL SERVERS vs just those ran/owned by one person (they did this because of the new content they wanted to add like News, Web Shows, etc to make it blend in I believe). Second they introduced the wacky TYPE FIRST menu system to help manage the big lists of libraries some people would have when they have access to many server shares.  They took IMHO a great idea and butchered it with a bad implementation.

Anyone who has shares to multiple servers all with a "Movies" and "TV Shows" library knows how painful this implementation is/was.  It's so easy to get lost on whose libraries you are playing back content from. Who's plugins were being used, etc.  Horrible, just really bad.

• One2Go and meatball like this

#47 meatball OFFLINE  

meatball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 03:14 PM

But then Plex in it's infinite wisdom made two tragic mistakes.  First it combined ALL SERVERS vs just those ran/owned by one person (they did this because of the new content they wanted to add like News, Web Shows, etc to make it blend in I believe). Second they introduced the wacky TYPE FIRST menu system to help manage the big lists of libraries some people would have when they have access to many server shares.  They took IMHO a great idea and butchered it with a bad implementation.

Anyone who has shares to multiple servers all with a "Movies" and "TV Shows" library knows how painful this implementation is/was.  It's so easy to get lost on whose libraries you are playing back content from. Who's plugins were being used, etc.  Horrible, just really bad.

Agreed. It very much feels like the ultimate goal is to have their content blend in -  unfortunately without the ability for the admin to organize and control who should be seeing what content. We can also expect more of 'their' content to come, they've been clear about that.

Coupled with the fact it feels like their content push is taking a priority over some basic issues that need to be fixed or long term, much requested features. 

On an unrelated note - I love the fact Emby has server controls available on their mobile apps (at least on iOS). It's very nice not having to log into the web to access these.

• Angelblue05 likes this

#48 miniliQuid OFFLINE  

miniliQuid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Local time: 02:28 AM

Posted 18 February 2019 - 06:45 PM

On an unrelated note - I love the fact Emby has server controls available on their mobile apps (at least on iOS). It's very nice not having to log into the web to access these.

Indeed, on the fly adjustments and fixing stuff, love it!

• meatball likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Plex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users