unhooked

unhooked

Odd file interaction here. When adding my existing smb mount, emby will complain about it not being writable. (using already mounted filesystems on the shield.)

Recordings fail because emby thinks it can't write there. So for the meantime I've been using plex to record.

This is where things get weird as Emby will go back through the share and create NFO's.

If I change recordings to /storage/emulated/0/Shared/PVR (local storage, shield pro, 3rd party ssd.) everything works as expected.

<get 12:38pm> ls -l *E09*
-rw-r--r--  1 emby  plex        3130 Dec 18 17:44 House (2004) - S07E09 - Larger Than Life.nfo
-rwxrwxr--  1 tom   plex  2387539840 Dec 18 17:15 House (2004) - S07E09 - Larger Than Life.ts

<get 12:39pm> ls -ld .
drwxrwxr--  2 tom  plex  24 Dec 18 20:14 .

<get 12:39pm> groups emby
emby video www webcamd mysql plex tvheadend

<get 12:47pm> pwd
/Shared/PVR/House (2004)/Season 07   (this maps to /storage/GET/Shared/PVR)

log of failed transaction   https://pastebin.com/raw/6KtrQKZ6

Edited by unhooked

unhooked

Could this be something along the lines of:

while plex is writing to the smb mount it's writable, but as soon as it closes any open files it

goes to r/o?

Or are emby processes running with different uid/permissions?

Edited by unhooked

Odd file interaction here. When adding my existing smb mount, emby will complain about it not being writable. (using already mounted filesystems on the shield.)

Could you please explain what you're doing exactly?

What steps do you perform to mount on the Shield?

And how are you setting up the library in Emby?

unhooked

On my freebsd box I export /Shared via nfs and samba. Connect as above, in "Settings/Storage and reset/mount network storage" on the shield.

These get mounted as /storage/GET/Shared   and each library is added ex: /storage/GET/Shared/PVR

Libraries have always worked, recording to local disk as well, but writing/deleting via smb results in an error. However, the library scanner is still creating nfo files.

sometimes there are error messages like I posted earlier, other times (tuesday is House marathon day) it creates nfo's fine.

R/W access works fine via plex, and from other hosts in emby.

Edited by unhooked

This seems to fail outside of Emby's responsibility You mounted the network share, but for Emby, it's just an arbitrary file system folder.

The only idea I'm having would be to observe this situation and try to figure out on what this behavior (sometimes can write, sometimes cannot) might depend. 

(maybe something like 'user active' or 'screen on'...)

unhooked

Well yeah, but it's mounted and usable by everything except emby. (which I would expect since it natively only does anon on the shield), I'm assuming there is some

system call that allows this which emby could possibly take advantage of. Obviously something is putting it in this mode, I also assume it's plex recording as I was at work all day yesterday

and H&I does tuesday marathons during this 10 hour period nfos were created as part of normal library scans.

I made sure I was only running plex/emby on the shield and my other boxes were disabled, and as you can see by file permissions emby created the files.

Oh that just made me realize, plex is creating files as uid 1001 since the shield is logging in as me, but emby is creating files under it's uid.

It shouldn't puke like that due to permissions, unless write does go away.

Can emby tap that? Might be easier than fully supporting smb if it's already done by the system.

Edited by unhooked