Issues with Live TV freezing

karambit27

karambit27

Ok I've disabled hardware transcoding to test. For what it's worth 2 streams transcoding on the Windows 7 server stopped after about 8 hours last night. I've tried 3 different physical computers, a Linux VM, 2 different versions of Ubuntu (16.04 and 18.04), and Windows 7 and they all fail after 6-8 hours mostly with the one 14 hour session being the outlier yesterday. Both wired and wireless clients on windows and the Fire TV devices. It also failed using a web browser for the client. I'm not sure what else to test but I can't imagine it is a problem with anything other than Emby. I won't be able to test much this weekend as I'll be out of town. 

karambit27

So I had 2 streams transcoding on my Windows server since Friday. They seemed to run longer than usual on my Linux servers, but one stopped completely after a day or so. The second still showed running today in the dashboard but the stream was frozen and there was no ffmpeg process running on the server. I am not sure why Emby thought it was still playing. According to the tuner logs the streams stopped at 5:19AM Saturday morning. I was away all weekend so I will have to try testing again.

Edited by karambit27

So I had 2 streams transcoding on my Windows server since Friday. They seemed to run longer than usual on my Linux servers, but one stopped completely after a day or so. The second still showed running today in the dashboard but the stream was frozen and there was no ffmpeg process running on the server. I am not sure why Emby thought it was still playing. According to the tuner logs the streams stopped at 5:19AM Saturday morning. I was away all weekend so I will have to try testing again.

So you're saying it stopped, but the server dashboard thought it was still playing?

You're running out of disk space:

Error writing trailer of C:\Users\phil\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\transcoding-temp\a6bc11121d2cbb4c9fb521ffcd2de2a6%d.ts: No space left on device

The server buffers the live tv stream to disk, and this can consume a lot of space. Currently we don't apply any size limit to this, but eventually we need to look at limiting it to a certain number of hours. Thanks.

karambit27

Ok. That doesn't seem to be the case for the Linux version of the server this time. It only lasted for 20 minutes last night. There's also multiple transcoding logs and the activity section of the dashboard shows the device playing the channel multiple times. This was on the current stable release. I'll test with the beta tonight. I repointed the transcoding directory to a much larger location so there shouldn't be any space issues. 

ffmpeg-transcode-a279c1de-b810-4779-9c39-eb772c498273.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-f425f23f-e1ea-4cbc-b2e4-146b5761ed33.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-32dfff85-59ce-4592-b7dd-229a679cc2bb.txt

embyserver-63681984000.txt

Edited by karambit27

karambit27

The space problem seems to be the main issue. This morning both streams still showed running in the dashboards. I had one going on my ubuntu server running 3.5.3.0 and another on a ubuntu server running 3.6.0.82. The one going on the 3.5.3.0 server was frozen even though everything else still shows it streaming. I am wondering if this is on the client side since there are known issues with the Fire TV Stick 4K. This device plays my local media fine all day though so I am not sure. My Fire TV 2nd Gen is still streaming fine. For what it is worth my transcoding directory is 154GB in size right now after about 7.5 hours with 2 streams running. Attached are the logs for the server the Stick 4K was running on if it helps.

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-b56cafe3-166d-49b7-89f4-07eb34899376.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-80b67e27-93ce-4eb0-ad63-d118fbb169c2.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-c75aff95-b2dd-4c58-97d5-a20c4ab27b16.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-77e5b444-938f-4a4c-9397-122da5a7af2c.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-b3be9797-e510-47b7-bb57-18a45c993f12.txt

Edited by karambit27

Right, the server buffers the live tv stream to disk in order to allow seeking the live stream, and this can consume a lot of space. Currently we don't apply any size limit to this, but eventually we need to look at limiting it to a certain number of hours. Thanks.

karambit27

Right, the server buffers the live tv stream to disk in order to allow seeking the live stream, and this can consume a lot of space. Currently we don't apply any size limit to this, but eventually we need to look at limiting it to a certain number of hours. Thanks.

Do the logs above show any reason why the Stick 4K playback was frozen but still transcoding on the server? 

Edited by karambit27

I don't see anything that stands out.  Can you define "frozen"?

Was the app responsive?

karambit27

Yes the app is responsive the video is just frozen even though the server and my Tuner both show the stream as still active. It has happened a couple of times after moving the transcoding directory to a larger location after a while. I can easily hit the back button to go back to the guide and restart the stream. I don't know if it is just the Fire TV Stick 4K itself though. I think it might be since my Fire TV 2nd Gen seems to work fine. It definitely streams longer now that the space issue is resolved. I think I will wait for an update from Amazon for the Stick 4K until I test more. I don't see it when playing my local media but that is playing multiple episodes versus one constant stream so maybe that is why.

Edited by karambit27