Issues with Live TV freezing

karambit27

karambit27

I have a HDHomeRun tuner and have not been having much luck with it. Part of that seems to be due to issues with Amazon's new Fire TV 4K Stick, but this issues happens also on my Windows 7 PC just using the web browser. The stream will randomly freeze even though both the tuner status page and the Emby Server Dashboard both show it still running. It looks like eventually the streaming does cease but the playback always freezes a while before that happens. If I catch the freezing it seems clicking near the end of the progress bar gets it going again. I had to do this several times today. It will work fine for potentially a couple of hours. I was hoping transcoding through my Emby Server would work as a workaround for using my 4K Stick until Amazon provides an update, but it is also happening on my Windows PC. When things work they work great and I would love to ditch my coax cables for OTA channels and using my HDHR tuner but it has been an uphill battle from the start.

2018-12-13 17:27:54.749 Error App: Error copying live stream.

2018-12-13 17:28:49.525 Info App: FFMpeg exited with code 0

EDIT: It seems Amazon has a new FireOS update that fixes the MPEG2 issue so I will try that. Still need to figure out why streams seem to pause randomly.

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-a76689cd-8d0a-40b7-9d31-0be4322e9b49.txt

Edited by karambit27

Hi, that's interesting, thanks for the info. Please let us know how the FireOS update changes things. Thanks !

karambit27

Not much different. I am still having issues streaming for a long time using the native HDHR app or through Emby after the update. Even my Fire TV 2nd generation had issues last night. I am testing again today trying to find the root cause.

karambit27

My Emby stream stopped after a little over 7 hours today on the latest FireOS version and transcoding to h264. I also had another 4k stick stop after a little over 1 hour running the native HDHR app. There's still a Windows 7 laptop running on the native HDHR app and a Fire TV 2nd Gen running the native app. 

Edit: I asked Amazon to pull logs from the Fire TV devices that I have been testing on to see if there's anything there that can help. 

Edited by karambit27

karambit27

I don't think so. The tuner is showing 90% signal strength. My Fire TV 2nd Gen has been working for over 24 hours with the native HDHR app. It didn't make it overnight when I was using the Emby app. None of my Stick 4K's last longer than 1-7 hours with Emby or the HDHR app. I also haven't had much luck on my Win7 dekstop or laptop using Emby Theater or through Chrome. They did go for 5-6 hours. I am going to try the HDHR app on my Win7 PC's. Most of the Emby issues all look the same. The client isn't actually playing the stream. The image is frozen but the logs indicate it was still playing.

Edited by karambit27

moradielle

I have a HDHomeRun tuner and have not been having much luck with it. Part of that seems to be due to issues with Amazon's new Fire TV 4K Stick, but this issues happens also on my Windows 7 PC just using the web browser. The stream will randomly freeze even though both the tuner status page and the Emby Server Dashboard both show it still running. It looks like eventually the streaming does cease but the playback always freezes a while before that happens. If I catch the freezing it seems clicking near the end of the progress bar gets it going again. I had to do this several times today. It will work fine for potentially a couple of hours. I was hoping transcoding through my Emby Server would work as a workaround for using my 4K Stick until Amazon provides an update, but it is also happening on my Windows PC. When things work they work great and I would love to ditch my coax cables for OTA channels and using my HDHR tuner but it has been an uphill battle from the start. Torrent TurboTax Gogoanime

2018-12-13 17:27:54.749 Error App: Error copying live stream.

2018-12-13 17:28:49.525 Info App: FFMpeg exited with code 0

EDIT: It seems Amazon has a new FireOS update that fixes the MPEG2 issue so I will try that. Still need to figure out why streams seem to pause randomly.

Hi, that's interesting, thanks for the info. Please let us know how the FireOS update changes things. Thanks !

karambit27

I am still having issues even after the FireOS update. I am seeing a lot of 404 errors in the log now. My Fire TV is having issues as well after streaming for over 48 hours with no issue using the HDHR app. I am not sure why going through Emby seems to be so unstable whether I am direct playing, streaming, or transcoding.

Just had 2 streams through Emby die at the same time. One using my Fire TV and another using one of my Stick 4k's. I am attaching the latest log from that.

embyserver.txt

embyserver.txt

Edited by karambit27

karambit27

There definitely seems to be some issue with Emby and playing Live TV through my tuner. On my Fire TV 2nd Gen using the HDHR app I can stream indefinitely. Using the same device through Emby fails every time after a few hours whether I direct play, direct stream, or transcode. I can play media from my Library on the same device indefinitely.

Edit: @@Luke any ideas? This only seems to impact live TV. 

Edited by karambit27

Ok in your previous posting it sounded like you were having the same issues with the HDHR app. Now you're saying that's not the case? Just looking to understand. Thanks.

karambit27

Ok in your previous posting it sounded like you were having the same issues with the HDHR app. Now you're saying that's not the case? Just looking to understand. Thanks.

I was with the Fire TV Stick 4k and still am. That seems to be related to the stick itself that I am working with Amazon on. My fire tv 2gen works fine with the HDHR app. It also has problems playing live TV for my tuner through Emby. It randomly stops streaming. This happens on the sticks as well even transcoding which gets around the Amazon issue which seems limited to mpeg2 decoding. I can play media with Emby from my local library all day with any device but live TV seems to always stop. It did again today for 2 sticks. I hope this clarifies. 

Edited by karambit27

karambit27

I spoke with Amazon today and they admitted there's some issue with the Fire TV Stick 4K. They have the developers working on it to resolve the issue soon. I am going to focus on testing Emby and Live TV with my Fire TV 2nd Gen until they provide the fix for the stick. The TV 2nd Gen has been using the tuner with the hdhomerun app since 12/17 with no issue. I did have an issue using it through Emby though. I am going to verify that for sure now though. Both the 2nd Gen and the Stick 4K play media from my local libraries just fine without any issues through Emby.

karambit27

So Direct Streaming through Emby didn't make it longer than 1.5 hours after streaming for 4 days without an issue using the HDHR app with my Fire TV 2nd Gen. This has been my experience with numerous devices playing Live TV through Emby. I am not sure what is going on or why this is happening. I have tried multiple Emby servers both on bare metal and within a VM. Logs attached.

ffmpeg-remux-e868d24d-2618-4cc7-b34c-b245b6fdf53b.txt

embyserver.txt

Edited by karambit27

karambit27

So I started running it again this morning and it failed after exactly 1.5 hours. Last night showed the same thing after 1 hour and 40 minutes. Below are 3 data points. I find it odd it's always to the second. 

Started: 12/20/2018, 10:11:10 pm

Stopped: 12/21/2018, 12:21:10 am

Started: 12/21/2018, 12:41:48 am

Stopped: 12/21/2018, 2:21:48 am

Started: 12/21/2018, 8:03:40 am

Stopped: 12/21/2018, 9:33:40 am

Edited by karambit27

Ok, since there is nothing obvious here, and given that we're so close to a new release, what I would suggest is re-evaluating this as soon as the 3.6 release is available. Thanks.

karambit27

Ok, since there is nothing obvious here, and given that we're so close to a new release, what I would suggest is re-evaluating this as soon as the 3.6 release is available. Thanks.

Do you have an idea of when that will be?

EDIT: Never mind I installed the beta to test with.

Edited by karambit27

karambit27

It doesn't seem to work much better with the beta.

Started: 12/22/2018, 11:04:37 pm

Stopped: 12/23/2018, 3:19:38 am

EDIT: Another test also failed with the beta. This time I tried transcoding through Emby. The attempt prior was Direct Streaming.

Started: 12/23/2018, 10:54:56 am

Stopped: 12/23/2018, 5:09:56 pm

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-remux-98937240-18cd-4462-830c-d0b9656e2a3f_1.txt

Edited by karambit27

karambit27

I don't see how. My signals are all good and I have no issues using the HDHR app on my PC, Laptop, or Fire TV 2nd Gen. They all have issues going through Emby. I will test again and also try through a Windows Emby server instead of Linux just to make sure. I will also hardwire the Fire TV to rule out wifi for that. 

Edited by karambit27

karambit27

Can you try lowering the in-app quality setting to force a full transcode? thanks.

I have tried dropping it below to force a transcode and got the same results. I've also tried both hardware and software decoding/encoding. I can provide those logs later tonight or tomorrow. 

EDIT: Attached are logs while transcoding using the latest beta. It was also on a wired connection to the Fire TV.

Started: 12/24/2018, 5:31:53 pm

Stopped: 12/24/2018, 11:56:53 pm

ffmpeg-transcode-40d3f3d1-2826-48d3-ad5d-9d3cfd3ab11c_1.txt

embyserver-63681292800.txt

Edited by karambit27

karambit27

So far using a Windows 7 based beta server things have been working well for almost 14 hours transcoding. All of my previous servers (2 bare metal, 1 VM) have all been using Ubuntu 16.04. I am not sure what the difference is between the them. Nothing config wise is different. It seems it will only stream for 6-7 hours at most on my Linux servers. I will keep testing but using a windows server it went for 14 hours the first try until I manually stopped it. 

Edited by karambit27

karambit27

I don't know what is going on with transcoding but it is having a ton of issues with Live TV channels now. This has happened on both Windows and Linux where it just sits there and never starts playing. The server never shows it transcoding in the server dashboard. Eventually I get it working but overall Emby has been incredibly unstable with the HDHomeRun and watching live tv with transcoding. I hope we can get this sorted out soon because I'm about to scrap the whole idea and just run coax connections to all my TVs again. This has been far more difficult than it should be. I don't have any of these issues using the HDHR app but that currently won't work with the Fire TV Stick 4K due to the issue Amazon is addressing.

Logs seem to show this error when this issue was happening.

2018-12-27 18:19:49.818 Error HttpServer: Error processing request
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 3.6.0.81
    Command line: C:\Users\phil\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll -noautorunwebapp
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
    64-Bit OS: True
    64-Bit Process: True
    User Interactive: True
    Processor count: 4
    Program data path: C:\Users\phil\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata
    Application directory: C:\Users\phil\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
    MediaBrowser.Common.Extensions.ResourceNotFoundException: MediaBrowser.Common.Extensions.ResourceNotFoundException: Exception of type 'MediaBrowser.Common.Extensions.ResourceNotFoundException' was thrown.
     at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.MediaSourceManager.GetLiveStreamInfo(String id, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
     at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.MediaSourceManager.GetLiveStreamWithDirectStreamProvider(String id, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
     at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Api.BaseStreamingService.GetState(StreamRequest request, Boolean requiresOutputPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
     at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Api.Hls.BaseHlsService.ProcessRequest(StreamRequest request)
     at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceExecGeneral.GetTaskResult(Task task)
     at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.ProcessRequestAsync(HttpListenerHost appHost, IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, ILogger logger, String operationName, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
     at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.RequestHandler(IRequest httpReq, String urlString, String host, String localPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
    Source: Emby.Server.Implementations
    TargetSite: Void MoveNext()
     at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.MediaSourceManager.GetLiveStreamInfo(String id, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
     at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.MediaSourceManager.GetLiveStreamWithDirectStreamProvider(String id, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
     at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Api.BaseStreamingService.GetState(StreamRequest request, Boolean requiresOutputPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
     at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Api.Hls.BaseHlsService.ProcessRequest(StreamRequest request)
     at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceExecGeneral.GetTaskResult(Task task)
     at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.ProcessRequestAsync(HttpListenerHost appHost, IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, ILogger logger, String operationName, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
     at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.RequestHandler(IRequest httpReq, String urlString, String host, String localPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-0bdb272d-702f-4160-a77e-0ce8261e3df8_1.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-1d8a4c24-7cf9-4c3e-8b7a-b2ab227a919c_1.txt

Edited by karambit27