New Samsung Releases

Luke

gray_flhxs

I have a 2018 Samsung 8000 series TV.  I have downloaded the latest app form the Samsung store and all I get is the attached screenshots I took with my phone.  People seem to be having the app work for them, but it does nothing but create a pin number for me.

5c8027009c66f_20190306145620.jpg5c802714c2233_20190306145613.jpg

FrostByte

Did you enter the PIN into the website?

Edit: some of the instructions aren't being displayed correctly because of a bug in the old app for 2018s

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

maegibbons

Yes - crap isnt it?  It is because the app has not passed samsung testing yet for the later versions with the 2018 models so it is running a very old version of the app..

Seems that emby has no clout to get it approved with samsung.

Krs

Mark

EDIT: Sorry thought you were complaining about layout and descriptions.  I can certainly login on mine. So login issue is NOT version dependant

Edited by maegibbons
  • Like 1

k0Lm.

If you click button skip, couldnt you just connect with IP? Using PIN to login you are using emby connect (goto https://emby.media/pin login, fill in PIN, and if your email is authorized you can succesfully connect).

Edit: lol i see that other people where faster :P Love it how fast this community replies !

Edited by k0Lm.
  • Like 2

gray_flhxs

If you click button skip, couldnt you just connect with IP? Using PIN to login you are using emby connect (goto https://emby.media/pin login, fill in PIN, and if your email is authorized you can succesfully connect).

Edit: lol i see that other people where faster :P Love it how fast this community replies !

I was able to get the pin number entered.  Thanks!  The interface looks crummy but the app plays stuff fine.  Appreciate the help!  I had to edit your link to make it work though.

David

Edited by gray_flhxs
  • Like 3

FrostByte

Not sure how to enter the pin number.  I looked all over the Emby server page.

Okay, thought so.

Enter the PIN here

https://emby.media/pin.html

In the fixed version of the app the instructions on that page would have mentioned that.

• Like 2

FrostByte

I was able to get the pin number entered.  Thanks!  The interface looks crummy but the app plays stuff fine.  Appreciate the help!  I had to edit your link to make it work though.

David

Yes, for the most part the app is fine.  You will see a lot of cosmetic issues with version .29 which we are stuck at.  Other years are way ahead of us in releases

k0Lm.

David

No problem, glad that it works now

• Like 1

gray_flhxs

No problem, glad that it works now

Now I can watch tv from my QNAP in a little better quality than from my PC.  The picture the PC generates on the tv is darker than the apps or other inputs for some reason.  I have never been able to figure it out.  It may be the controls for the video card.  Will have to check that out as I have not yet.  This is a airly new homebuilt PC.  I also just switched to Emby DVR a few days ago from Plex DVR after 3 days of missing guides and not being able to tune one channel.  No guide means no way to click on a channel to watch live tv it seems.

David

• 3 weeks later...

New app releases are available:

- 2015 tizen - 1.0.58

- 2016 - 1.0.59

- 2019 - 1.0.59

2017 and 2018 are still in review. Thanks everyone.

• Like 2

FrostByte

LOL, and 2018 premium sets are still at .29  Looks like I'll have to buy a new TV just get out of Samsung's black hole.

btw:  was that a typo "2017 and 2017"

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

CBers

LOL, and 2018 premium sets are still at .29 Looks like I'll have to buy a new TV just get out of Samsung's black hole.

Or a Shield ;)

FrostByte

Or a Shield ;)

Heh, I already have a Xbox which doesn't trigger HDR.  Why would I need another box which doesn't work either? :)

• Like 1

CBers

Heh, I already have a Xbox which doesn't trigger HDR. Why would I need another box which doesn't work either? :)

:D

holdestmade

LOL, and 2018 premium sets are still at .29  Looks like I'll have to buy a new TV just get out of Samsung's black hole.

btw:  was that a typo "2017 and 2017"

Same here, really regret the Samsung 2018 TV purchase, not just because of the emby app but bought it for the Smartthings integration and that turns out to be a rubbish app on the TV and the phone come to think of it.

As a TV it's great (apart from having to reset it every few weeks as it stops recording as scheduled)

• 5 weeks later...
aperry

Is it possible to have some more information/expectations/transparency regarding the situation with 2018 model Samsungs (stuck on version .29)? I understand there have been some challenges getting newer versions through the Samsung approval process, but it's been an unusually long time. I've subscribed to Premiere with hopes that I can have a clean Emby experience running on my TV, and this holding pattern is difficult. Thanks for any information you can provide!

• Like 2

holdestmade

Was excited to see a new post in the Samsung TV releases post but, no.

I feel you frustration, I'm in the same boat.

I even tried Plex yesterday as that App works in Samsung TVs but it is nowhere near as good as emby, even with the text label glitches in the Samsung App.

I've had the TV nearly a year now, I look on here every day.....hoping...

CBers

I've had the TV nearly a year now, I look on here every day.....hoping...

Buy a STB, such as a Shield, Mi Box, Fire TV or Apple TV ;)

• Like 1

CBers

I could but I went from a shield and TV to this TV as it had everything all in one. I spent £2600 on it. It should work as expected.

The TV does, but you can't blame Samsung for an app not working correctly.

I have a Samsung TV and a LG 4K TV, but still have Nvidia Shields plugged into them, as do many other people here on the forums.

aperry

I have a Shield TV and that's what I'm using now, but it has its own issues (mostly unrelated to Emby). I was really hoping to simplify the whole setup and run the apps like Emby, Netflix and YoutubeTV from the Samsung TV itself, which for the most part is stable and reliable (with a much better remote control!). It would be one less device, less cables, no CEC nightmare, no input switching, etc.

CBers

I have a Shield TV and that's what I'm using now, but it has its own issues (mostly unrelated to Emby). I was really hoping to simplify the whole setup and run the apps like Emby, Netflix and YoutubeTV from the Samsung TV itself, which for the most part is stable and reliable (with a much better remote control!). It would be one less device, less cables, no CEC nightmare, no input switching, etc.

Totally understand your reasoning.

IMO, the Emby Android TV app is far superior to the ET app, as the Shield is a much more powerful device, so you'll get better results with it.

As I said, just my opinion.

aperry

Totally understand your reasoning.

IMO, the Emby Android TV app is far superior to the ET app, as the Shield is a much more powerful device, so you'll get better results with it.

As I said, just my opinion.

Thanks, that's good to know. I was kind of optimistically hoping that the newer version of the Samsung Emby app would be better than the current one. Oh well, maybe I should spend more time making the Shield work better :)

Edited by aperry
  • Like 1