6 replies to this topic

#1 Trippitaka OFFLINE  

Trippitaka

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 01:03 AM

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:35 PM

Hi All,

I'm new to Emby and new to the forum. I recently signed up to Emby as I've heard a few people say that it is as good a media server to use as Plex, which I have been using a year or two. Recently they overhauled Plex and it literally no longer works, plus the company aren't even interested in responding to me, hence it was time for a change.

When I signed up and tried to get onto Emby on the PS4, first of all I just really struggled, then a thing popped up saying I needed to pay $5 for "Emby Premiere" (still not sure if I needed that or if I was duped). There then followed a really sweary frustrating time when it kept advising me to visit links that I couldn't click so I needed to open up new windows, write down the URL then type it in. Then I was asked to type in a massively long code which there was no way to copy paste so I had to go back to the PC, sort that out and then come back to the PS4.

I'm on a tangent - I can get through the difficulties and annoyances and frustrations if it means I eventually work things out, but all this I was doing because Emby keeps on referring to a PS4 app, but when I search for it there's nothing and each time I chase after the links on the website it keeps just directing to me to a URL where I can get to my content.

It's seeming fairly certain to me now that there is no app, but please could someone let me know if I am understanding this wrong because surely they would not have references to a PS4 app all over the website and even a forum room for a Playstation App if one didn't exist?? I have no interest in using this software if I have to do so by opening up a browser window each time, navigating to the page and using a PS4 browser window which fills little more than half of the screen.

I won't jump to a conclusion completely, but I would appreciate any guidance that anyone can give. If there is no PS4 app I will seriously be asking for that $5 to be refunded.

On a side note, Emby has picked up less than half of my content after scanning (which is really weird) and what it has picked up I would say a good 5% or so needs to be re-identified with the correct titles. One way or another it will take me a lot of work to get everything showing properly on here and I'm not even going to try unless I can sort out the app situation.

Many thanks,

Paul

#2 KMBanana OFFLINE  

KMBanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • Local time: 08:03 PM

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:39 PM

There isn't a dedicated PS4 app, there is Emby Theater support for the PS4 web browser by connecting through tv.emby.media.  It requires Emby Premiere which is available for $120 for a lifetime license (applies to the server, not your PS4), or for a lesser monthly rate.   

#3 Trippitaka OFFLINE  

Trippitaka

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:47 PM

Yeah that's what I was saying I just paid out for and it just got me into my content in a browser window.

Emby staff: if this is true why does your website claim there is an app? This is important to me and the first thing I checked before signing up. Again, if this is true, I would like you to arrange for the money i spent tonight to be refunded because I have been seriously misled.

#4 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 108960 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:14 PM

Once you bookmark it and have it running full screen, it runs very well. We would love to have a PS4 app in the store in the future. Unfortunately it is not a store that is open to all developers, and you can learn a little bit about that by reading some user comments here:

https://emby.media/c...4-app/?p=601599

We are constantly re-evaluating this to see what is possible. In the meantime, the fullscreen browser app performs quite well. Thanks.

#5 Trippitaka OFFLINE  

Trippitaka

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:48 PM

You didn't explain why you claim that there is a PS4 app, but then I guess there isn't a good explanation for that. You also didn't tell me how I can go about being refunded.

You say that it works well full screen and once again you call it an app. Do you care to explain this at all? I have still seen no evidence for an app and it has been confirmed that there isn't one. I'm not even aware of how to make a PS4 browser full screen, but to put it simply - I am only really interested in this if there is an icon on my PS4 I can click that will take me straight to a full screen version of what I am seeing on the PC. I would also prefer not to see a mouse pointer, but I'm sure that isn't possible in a browser window and I'm not sure whether it will be too frustrating to push a mouse pointer around. 

#6 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 108960 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:51 PM

For refund information please send a private message to @ebr. Our website page for the PS4 goes over how to use the web app:

https://emby.media/emby-ps4.html

I apologize for the frustration. We are doing our best to make the most of a difficult situation. We are constantly re-evaluating the PS4 app submission process, and in the event of any changes we will be immediately pursuing a PS4 app. Thanks.

#7 Trippitaka OFFLINE  

Trippitaka

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:19 PM

I have just re-read that page, but it doesn't answer any of my queries.

I really want this to be workable for me because at the moment I'm not aware of other options, with Plex not working. I also appreciate your presence in responding, which they do not do at all.

However... and it's a really big however... to satisfy me this has got to work on the PS4 as if I am looking at Netflix. Plex did that. I feel like Emby has got the potential to do that, but if it means opening a browser, navigating to a web address, figuring out how to put it in full screen (if that's possible), all to get to the point of looking at my media, then that makes me feel like it may be worthwhile putting more time into fighting with Plex to see if we can get that working again. After all, remember one of my initial points that even if this ends up working as I would like it to I will still have to put a large amount of time into figuring out why half my content it doesn't even acknowledging that it exists and the rest is littered with titles that need re-matching (even though I have a clear and meticulous naming system).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users