Windows 7 or 10

dcol

For the purposes of running Emby server on Windows, which is better to use? Windows 7 or Windows 10? 32bit vs 64bit?

Are there any Emby feature differences? ie. things that work better in one OS versus the other.

How about with the new Emby version coming out soon?

I am very familiar with both Windows OS'es, but not with the inner workings of Emby.

My system is Intel i5-3570 16GB

Edited by dcol

VaporTrail

FWIW @@dcol, after Win 7 support ends in 2020 I'm migrating my server to Linux Mint 64bit. Worth testing until then on a beater laptop if you got one lying around.

I've never touched a LInux computer before but after 4 days I'm loving it as a dyed-in-the-wool Win 7 user. YMMV.

Edited by VaporTrail

I would consider it, but I have a lot of other media apps running like epg123,MCEbuddy,NextPVR. But may not need those if Emby squares away all the issue I had.

Right now I do not do any recording via Emby. Just didn't work the way I wanted it.

Edited by dcol

VaporTrail

Win 7 support ends in 2020, so Emby may square those away by then. *shrug*

All I know is I was running a 2010 netbook with 2GB RAM and Atom processor on Win 10 thanks to the free upgrade offer and it was practically unusable. I've since installed Linux Mint, and my resource usage idles at 10% CPU, 35% RAM. I can watch YouTube on Chromium and listen to music in Emby browser view. These were unthinkable before.

I may keep a Win 7 machine air-gapped to use stuff like Adobe CS6, but most apps nowadays have a free Linux alternative. Perhaps just upgrade RAM and run Windows in a virtual machine.  ;)

Having an Intel NUC I-5 running Win7 64bit on it with Emby Server as well as Emby for WMC. because I use the Throg themes which require WMC I am staying with Win 7. All the apps on it work and because there is such a large user base for Win7 I have no worries about its future use with Emby.

Still have as a backup a Win7 PC that runs the old Media Browser 2.6 which has been retired for years. Fire up the PC every now and then, do an OS Update as well as AV update and run a Library scan. Back up is set just in case my Intel NUC dies. Life is good when using the Emby products.

My experience is Win7 is more stable in the long run. Too many times a Win10 update messes something up. Especially with video and network.

Being a software developer for more than 30 years I tend shake my head at these sort of questions. There has always been people that has hard adapting to change (even my 72 year old mother had some problems coming to terms with windows 10). People were upset when windows 95 was released and demanded that software retained win 3 look and feel. The answer to these sort of questions is to always go with the newest version (and "newish" hardware when you have moved away from your parents basement)

Software people rarely have experience with the general computer public. I have been servicing computers for 40 years and have experienced the motivated and reluctant computer user. I always have recomended to stay away from the lastest and greatest because it usually isn't. Microsoft is notorious for having the public be their beta tester. Once a product has been proven to be stable, then I push it as I have learned that I don't want an upset customer. Windows 10 I would say is 95% ready. Personally I use the lastest tech as I can adapt to any issues much better than my customers and I can make an intellegent assesment as to when it is ready for prime time. If you want a truly stable OS, use Win7. If you want to use the lastest and greatest hardware, then use Win10 and accept any issues. Most of my users are in business environments so they are more concerned with productivity than risk.

Being a software developer for more than 30 years I tend shake my head at these sort of questions. There has always been people that has hard adapting to change (even my 72 year old mother had some problems coming to terms with windows 10). People were upset when windows 95 was released and demanded that software retained win 3 look and feel. The answer to these sort of questions is to always go with the newest version (and "newish" hardware when you have moved away from your parents basement)

You forgot one major change Win 10 has no Windows Media Center and the theme that I use for my Emby client is based on WMC. So unless I want to introduce a new may of navigating and feel to the wife and risk her wrath I stay with what she knows to use and that has to be based on WMC which is only officially supported in Win 7. Not just a single user but household members need education and that is not in my interest.

You forgot one major change Win 10 has no Windows Media Center and the theme that I use for my Emby client is based on WMC. So unless I want to introduce a new may of navigating and feel to the wife and risk her wrath I stay with what she knows to use and that has to be based on WMC which is only officially supported in Win 7. Not just a single user but household members need education and that is not in my interest.

My point exactly.