Full guide/program data without Premiere?

Hoochee

I'm considering moving from Plex so working through the setup. I see a guide will soon be integrated but without a timeline I want to know I have one in the interim. I am aware of Schedules Direct but not interested since I'm testing Emby at the moment, and understand a guide will be integrated. So I got zap2xml set up and produced the xmltv file but when I direct Emby to it only the channel list and icons import, and not even a complete channel list. So no program data, and by an incomplete channel list I mean there are several channels listed in the xmltv file that are not listed in Emby after import. I guess the easiest question to have answered: Should I see a fully populated Guide if I'm not Premiere? If Yes, then thoughts on what I'm missing to see that?

I've attached the xmltv file, and log.

Edited by Hoochee

kanipek

No files attached.

I think it depends which server version you are on as far as LiveTV goes. Have not heard about limitations on number of channels - you are on premeire and you have it or you are not on premeire and don't.

Since you got info in the guide for some channels I would GUESS - an issue with the XMLTV file or Channels need to be mapped.

Can you attach the files?

• Like 1

Hi.  The channels listed don't come from the guide data, they come from your tuner and you may need to map the ones from the tuner to the guide.

Live TV

xmltv file is now attached. I'm having trouble getting the log to upload (don't know why just yet). To be clear, I don't have Premiere, I just want to be able to see that the guide fully populates. The only data that populates is part of the channel listing and the icons for those that populate. I've attached a screen capture snip to show what I mean - 8.1 is not in the Guide but it's in the xmltv file. I'm testing all this in Windows Emby server v.3.5.3.0.

Edited by Hoochee

Hi.  The channels listed don't come from the guide data, they come from your tuner and you may need to map the ones from the tuner to the guide.

Live TV

Ahhh, got it. I'll work that. So for the channels that are in the Guide, they are already mapped - I think that's what I'm seeing in the attached "channel mapping" image.

No files attached.

I think it depends which server version you are on as far as LiveTV goes. Have not heard about limitations on number of channels - you are on premeire and you have it or you are not on premeire and don't.

Since you got info in the guide for some channels I would GUESS - an issue with the XMLTV file or Channels need to be mapped.

Can you attach the files?

xmltv file is now attached. I'm having trouble getting the log to upload (don't know why just yet). To be clear, I don't have Premiere, I just want to be able to see that the guide fully populates. The only data that populates is part of the channel listing and the icons for those that populate. I've attached a screen capture snip to show what I mean - 8.1 is not in the Guide but it's in the xmltv file. I'm testing all this in Windows Emby server v.3.5.3.0.

xmltv.xml

post-387041-0-17349400-1543937085_thumb.jpg

kanipek

Ahhh, got it. I'll work that. So for the channels that are in the Guide, they are already mapped - I think that's what I'm seeing in the attached "channel mapping" image.

The XMLTV file looks good format wise.

The image is showing correctly mapped channels - all the channels need to look like that for the guide to have the data for them. If they don't you will have to either manually map them via the dashboard->LiveTV->TV Guide Data Providers or by creating a channel list that has all the correct info to allow Emby to complete the auto mapping on it's own. It is a bit of a chore to do initially. Once it is done you are gold until you have a lineup change.

Thanks for the file review and comments. So now I understand even less what I'm missing to make the guide populate with program details. In the TV Guide Data Providers section only one station wasn't mapped - 52.6 JTV which is apparently some kind jewelry shopping channel. I didn't see anything intuitive to map it to other than Antenna so that's now how it's mapped but that's causing it to show The Brady Bunch as being aired now. No doubt an expected outcome for those more knowledgeable about Emby, but for me - at least a program pulled to the guide!

With the exception of 52.6 showing the Brady Bunch and other incorrect programs through the next several days (since I mapped to Antenna), the Guide looks like this:

5c06b8441acfe_guide_snip.jpg

No doubt I'm missing the obvious trigger to get the programs. 8.1 is currently airing Midday News and I see that in the xmltv file.

post-387041-0-71467600-1543944031_thumb.jpg

kanipek

Thanks for the file review and comments. So now I understand even less what I'm missing to make the guide populate with program details. In the TV Guide Data Providers section only one station wasn't mapped - 52.6 JTV which is apparently some kind jewelry shopping channel. I didn't see anything intuitive to map it to other than Antenna so that's now how it's mapped but that's causing it to show The Brady Bunch as being aired now. No doubt an expected outcome for those more knowledgeable about Emby, but for me - at least a program pulled to the guide!

With the exception of 52.6 showing the Brady Bunch and other incorrect programs through the next several days (since I mapped to Antenna), the Guide looks like this:

5c06b8441acfe_guide_snip.jpg

No doubt I'm missing the obvious trigger to get the programs. 8.1 is currently airing Midday News and I see that in the xmltv file.

Are the mappings correct?

Are you using the Emby native setup for the tuners or a plugin?

Can you restart the server, refresh the guide and then post a log here or somewhere with a link?

Also what browser are you using? Does it have any script blocking, or ad prevention extensions/tools/apps installed?

Are the mappings correct? I'm now going to say No because I just changed 8.1 from WFAADT to ABCC and the program data pulled in with the exception of the current program hour which in the Guide shows SIGN OFF but in the xmltv file shows Midday News. I didn't previously manually map them, Emby mapped them. However, I can't then map the substations because while they are currently assigned WFAADT2, ...3, ...4, there is only one ABCC so they would all end up with the same program data.

Are you using the Emby native setup for the tuners or a plugin? native

Can you restart the server, refresh the guide and then post a log here or somewhere with a link? done and log attached

Also what browser are you using? Does it have any script blocking, or ad prevention extensions/tools/apps installed? I'm primarily in Chrome but have tried this in Firefox, IE and Opra. Chrome is pretty locked down. My IE has the loosest privacy and security settings and I get the same results there. Maybe this irrelevant after you review the above info. 

server log after restart and guide refresh.txt

kanipek

Are the mappings correct? I'm now going to say No because I just changed 8.1 from WFAADT to ABCC and the program data pulled in with the exception of the current program hour which in the Guide shows SIGN OFF but in the xmltv file shows Midday News. I didn't previously manually map them, Emby mapped them. However, I can't then map the substations because while they are currently assigned WFAADT2, ...3, ...4, there is only one ABCC so they would all end up with the same program data.

Are you using the Emby native setup for the tuners or a plugin? native

Can you restart the server, refresh the guide and then post a log here or somewhere with a link? done and log attached

Also what browser are you using? Does it have any script blocking, or ad prevention extensions/tools/apps installed? I'm primarily in Chrome but have tried this in Firefox, IE and Opra. Chrome is pretty locked down. My IE has the loosest privacy and security settings and I get the same results there. Maybe this irrelevant after you review the above info. 

To me the log looks good - I compare my working XMLTV setup -- my log to your log, looks good

It could be and this is a GUESS that the identifiers in Emby are just not matching up to what you are providing via the XMLTV file so it isn't populating the guide

It doesn't look like you are using LiveTV plugin either. So native Emby HDHR tuners also.

To me the log looks good - I compare my working XMLTV setup -- my log to your log, looks good

It could be and this is a GUESS that the identifiers in Emby are just not matching up to what you are providing via the XMLTV file so it isn't populating the guide

It doesn't look like you are using LiveTV plugin either. So native Emby HDHR tuners also.

I don't; understand your last comment about the Live TV plugin and what that says about use of the native Emby HDHR tuners. Under LiveTV I'm not using any Services, the HDHR was added by entering its IP under Tuner Devices. Is there something else you think I need to add/modify?

kanipek

I don't; understand your last comment about the Live TV plugin and what that says about use of the native Emby HDHR tuners. Under LiveTV I'm not using any Services, the HDHR was added by entering its IP under Tuner Devices. Is there something else you think I need to add/modify?

No. 

By native I mean using the HDHR tuner through Emby. Without one of the various plugins for LiveTV for example NextPVR.

kanipek

I checked a couple of your channels and it does look like the ID's are matching what I am seeing @schedules direct.

So ???? I am stumped.

Have you gone through all the setup for the tuner(s) themselves?

Go here:

http://192.168.1.104/lineup.json

But replace with the ip of your tuner - gives a current list of channel data  What does it look like?

kanipek

Here's a sample

[{"GuideNumber":"4.1","GuideName":"KDFW-DT","VideoCodec":"MPEG2","AudioCodec":"AC3","HD":1,"URL":"http://192.168.1.xxx:xxxx/auto/v4.1"},{"GuideNumber":"5.1","GuideName":"KXAS-DT","VideoCodec":"MPEG2","AudioCodec":"AC3","HD":1,"URL":"http://192.168.1.xxx:xxxx/auto/v5.1"},{"GuideNumber":"5.2","GuideName":"COZI-TV","VideoCodec":"MPEG2","AudioCodec":"AC3","URL":"http://192.168.1.xxx:xxxx/auto/v5.2"},{"GuideNumber":"8.1","GuideName":"WFAA","VideoCodec":"MPEG2","AudioCodec":"AC3","HD":1,"URL":"http://192.168.1.xxx:xxxx/auto/v8.1"},{"GuideNumber":"8.2","GuideName":"AccuWX","VideoCodec":"MPEG2","AudioCodec":"AC3","URL":"http://192.168.1.xxx:xxxx/auto/v8.2"},{"GuideNumber":"8.3","GuideName":"Justice","VideoCodec":"MPEG2","AudioCodec":"AC3","URL":"http://192.168.1.xxx:xxxx/auto/v8.3"},{"GuideNumber":"8.4","GuideName":"Quest","VideoCodec":"MPEG2","AudioCodec":"AC3","URL":"http://192.168.1.xxx:xxxx/auto/v8.4"},{"GuideNumber":"11.1","GuideName":"KTVT-DT","VideoCodec":"MPEG2","AudioCodec":"AC3","HD":1,"URL":"http://192.168.1.xxx:xxxx/auto/v11.1"},{"GuideNumber":"11.2","GuideName":"StartTV","VideoCodec":"MPEG2","AudioCodec":"AC3","URL":"http://192.168.1.xxx:xxxx/auto/v11.2"},{"Guide

So it looks like a channel scan has been done at some point looking at that output.

Regarding the tuner(s) - Have you got the HDHR Setup app installed/configured?

What is your LiveTV environment? Cable/OTA? --Is it reflected correctly in the setup app? What is the BDA compatibilty set to? HDHR windows app installed/working?

Sorry for  all the questions -- trying to wrap my mind around your setup.

kanipek

I am not seeing any tuners found in your log....this is a problem --

Should see something like this for each tuner:

.... Info App: Discovered tuner device HD Homerun at http://192.168.1.108

Sceenshot this page in your dashboard:

http://192.168.1.112:8096/web/index.html#!/livetvstatus.html

Edited by kanipek

So it looks like a channel scan has been done at some point looking at that output.

Regarding the tuner(s) - Have you got the HDHR Setup app installed/configured?

What is your LiveTV environment? Cable/OTA? --Is it reflected correctly in the setup app? What is the BDA compatibilty set to? HDHR windows app installed/working?

Sorry for  all the questions -- trying to wrap my mind around your setup.

I've done a few channel scans as I sorted out which antenna I want and where best to point it.

Regarding the tuner(s) - Have you got the HDHR Setup app installed/configured? my.hdhomerum.com says no tuner found, there's not a HDHR app. I can access the config menu via the IP. I've tried to sort out why it isn't seen, especially considering because I had another quatro attached that was seen.

What is your LiveTV environment? Cable/OTA? OTA--Is it reflected correctly in the setup app? I don't find where this is identified in the HDHR app. Could be in the Windows app but it can't see the device.  What is the BDA compatibilty set to? No access to the Windows app. HDHR windows app installed/working? Nope!

I am not seeing any tuners found in your log....this is a problem --

Should see something like this for each tuner:

.... Info App: Discovered tuner device HD Homerun at http://192.168.1.108

Sceenshot this page in your dashboard:

http://192.168.1.112:8096/web/index.html#!/livetvstatus.html

I thought it not being seen wasn't an issue since I can access it by the IP and Emby sees by IP, but maybe it's a problem...here's the screen

5c06e39f2f0f6_LiveTVcapture.jpg

Edited by Hoochee

kanipek

Is any app able to see and play live tv to this tuner? Plex/VLC/HDHR Viewer?

Is any app able to see and play live tv to this tuner? Plex/VLC/HDHR Viewer?

Plex can see it, a guide generates, the DVR functions and channels play through it (although a lot of buffering) and the iOS HDHR app works without any issues.

kanipek

Do the tuner(s) and server reside on the same local network/network segment?

Do the tuner(s) and server reside on the same local network/network segment?

They do.

So here's what I've found. There is a HDHR windows .exe from SiliconDust, they've chosen to do some unconventional alphabetizing of their DLs so it wasn't directly under the Win app. I've run the .exe and done a channel scan, the BDA is set to Default as the other options were specific to a device or application. When the .exe scans for the device it finds it but then pops up an error message about UPnP discovery with a link to a resolution page. I'm on AT&T in the US and they have fully disabled UPnP in their routers but I've gotten around that issue before - just need to remember how.   kanipek you've been a huge help. It'll be several hours before I can get back to working this but I'll report back with success, or a 12ga resolution.

• Like 1

kanipek

They do.

So here's what I've found. There is a HDHR windows .exe from SiliconDust, they've chosen to do some unconventional alphabetizing of their DLs so it wasn't directly under the Win app. I've run the .exe and done a channel scan, the BDA is set to Default as the other options were specific to a device or application. When the .exe scans for the device it finds it but then pops up an error message about UPnP discovery with a link to a resolution page. I'm on AT&T in the US and they have fully disabled UPnP in their routers but I've gotten around that issue before - just need to remember how.   kanipek you've been a huge help. It'll be several hours before I can get back to working this but I'll report back with success, or a 12ga resolution.

Just a thought - network discovery, ssdp discovery and that whatever flavor of firewall you are using is allowing these on the local LAN. Unless the tuner(s) are connected directly to the ATT router/modem UpnP being disabled shouldn't be a factor. If they are direct connected....that's another ball of wax.

I look forward to hearing back what you find out.

So I found my VPN was the issue with the HDHR .exe and my.hdhomerun not being able to see the device. The VPN establishes itself as a Public network. I terminated it and the UPnP error resolved and my.hdhomerun could see the device. In the Emby log I now see the line you saw was missing earlier - Info App: Discovered tuner device HD Homerun at...

But the Emby Guide issue persists.

Just a thought - network discovery, ssdp discovery and that whatever flavor of firewall you are using is allowing these on the local LAN. Unless the tuner(s) are connected directly to the ATT router/modem UpnP being disabled shouldn't be a factor. If they are direct connected....that's another ball of wax.

I look forward to hearing back what you find out.

I had already turned off the Win firewall for troubleshooting, and now have the AT&T router set up to forward the HDHR port just in case that would have been an actual issue. The HDHR is connected directly to the router; however, just for fun tonight I changed it to connect through an unmanaged switch but no change to the Guide. So...

kanipek

Can we see another restart-refresh- then a new log please

Have you tried to play any of the channels in Emby?

Can you describe the network layout? or provide the map?

Edited by kanipek

I couldn't find another means to get a free, working xmltv file so I took a run at ServerWMC - it seemed like the most straightforward option - just to get the programs populated. Turned out to not be so straightforward but after jumping through several hoops to get Windows Media Center installed on my Win 10 machine, and getting ServerWMC to cooperate, I have a Guide populated with programs. A snippet is attached where you can see it actually overlayed the ServerWMC to the xmltv. What you can't see from the snippet is the xmltv vs ServerWMC channel nomenclature:

xmltv (icon)= KDTN-DT

SWMC = Daystar

xmltv (icon) = KDFW-DT

SWMC = KDFWD

xmltv (icon) = KXAS-DT

SWMC = NBC5HD

and so it goes throughout the Guide. Before installing SWMC I removed the TV Guide Data Providers link to the xmltv file, but I didn't Refresh Guide Data so I assume that's why it held that data? More rhetorical than anything.

Can we see another restart-refresh- then a new log please

Have you tried to play any of the channels in Emby?

Can you describe the network layout? or provide the map?

Before I installed SWMC I did a restart. The attached log is from after SWMC was installed. I know it's not what you're looking for but before I remove SWMC I wanted to make sure there was something in all the info I've provided that helps identify what might be happening with the xmltv data, although based on the channel naming difference it seems to point to your earlier thought there might be an issue between the xmltv  and Emby channel naming.

Did I try to play a channel? When I had just the xmltv guide data I was able to play a program on the one channel where data populated (I think it was 52.6 after I mapped it to Antenna).

Network layout - 

• ATT residential gateway
  • Gateway to HDHR direct via ethernet
  • Gateway to TP-Link powerline adapter A via ethernet
  • TP-Link powerline adapter B to unmanaged switch via ethernet
  • Unmanaged switch to laptop  running Emby via ethernet

There are various other wired and unwired devices on the network, but not between the devices relevant here. I know the powerline isn't ideal but it works, until I can get time to run the Cat6 sitting in my closet.

post-387041-0-52535700-1544023253_thumb.jpg

server log after restart and guide refresh Dec 5 12.50a.txt