Auto quality needs work

joshua4

MovieBuff

I have reproduced the problem in Emby by re-starting the server. The setting on the Playback page reverted back to Auto.

I have reproduced the problem in Emby by re-starting the server. The setting on the Playback page reverted back to Auto.

In what app?

If you're talking about the web app (from a browser) do you have something that clears out your browsing data?

In Emby 4.0.3.0 from a browser. Nothing that I know of.

You're saying the web app is reverting back to default? What browser and version?

• 3 weeks later...
MovieBuff

My settings:

Windows 7 pro

Firefox 66.0.3 64 Bit

Emby 4.1.0.26

This happens without clearing my browsing data. It happens when just adding a new video to Emby. The only settings that are affected are resetting the Playback to Auto and re-enabling Cinema Mode. None of the other settings in Emby are affected.

After reading the number of other users that are having problems with Auto, can I make a suggestion. Disable the Auto mode until you have time to work on it. I think that would remedy a lot of problems, and the user settings for Playback should work.

My settings:

Windows 7 pro

Firefox 66.0.3 64 Bit

Emby 4.1.0.26

This happens without clearing my browsing data. It happens when just adding a new video to Emby. The only settings that are affected are resetting the Playback to Auto and re-enabling Cinema Mode. None of the other settings in Emby are affected.

After reading the number of other users that are having problems with Auto, can I make a suggestion. Disable the Auto mode until you have time to work on it. I think that would remedy a lot of problems, and the user settings for Playback should work.

Those are two of the settings that are saved locally in the browser. Most of the others are saved on the server and shared for each app. So that to me sounds like browsing data being cleared.

MovieBuff

I do have the Firefox browser set to clear the browsing data when it closes. When the problem happened this morning I didn't close the browser, I only added a video to Emby. So, I guess that disabling Auto is a no-go?

neik

If your hw is capable of hw transcoding why not?

As you know this wouldn't stress your hw that much and it can transcode a few streams simultaneously.

I for instance have a client connected badly (due to distance) to my Wi-Fi (ethernet is no option) and due to that the bw varies quite a lot.

In this circumstances the server updating to the actual available bw would be a bless as it would eliminate buffering.

Same applies on mobile.

I agree though that the user should have an option to select. Those on sw transcoding probably wouldn't want this.

It all depends on the setup you have, thus the user should decide at the end -> options!

@@ebr, any feedback?

fizzyade

Yeah, I share with a friend and they have terrible broadband, they can’t watch anything without buffering. I have a powerful server with nvidia transcoding, in this case they couldn’t careless and neither would I if it were transcoding all the time to them, they would appreciate dynamic bitrate because it would eliminate the problems they have.

• Like 2

We plan to improve our dynamic quality adjustment in the future. thanks.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
saltedhash

Reviving an old thread, but didn't want to submit another feature request as I've seen a few similar to this one. Has this been worked on at all since 2018?

Auto still is terrible and I have 1000mbps upload available for users and it's frustrating seeing a stream negotiate at 2mbps when both server and client side (in my test cases) support well over 100mbps. I'm seeing it consistently transcode and pick a low rate the majority of the time. 

I've seen a few very similar requests in this thread and others.

-Fix 'Auto' to not be so conservative

-Dynamic quality adjustment

-Available bandwidth config setting (let Emby know what our max upload is to assist in negotiations)

Thank you.

Edited by saltedhash
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
CodeeCB

Good afternoon! I'm new to Emby, came from XBMC longgggg ago and more recently Plex and have a question regarding remote streaming and this thread seems like a good spot for it. I am trying to see if what I would expect to happen actually happens or not. I have ~45mbps upload speed. Let's say I have 3 remote users that want to watch something. If everyone is set to "Auto" and user 1 starts watching a movie using ~25Mbps upload they would get full access to the upload and highest quality possible. Now the 2nd user comes along and is watching a TV show they only needs 3Mmps and so they get full quality also. The 3rd person comes along and starts a movie that would be 30Mbps upload. This would be a total of 58Mbps roughly which is too much for my 45Mbps max capabilities. Does everyone's stream get adjusted to use equal bandwidth or is it more of a first come first served with the last person getting the smallest amount? I would think that the "auto" setting balances everything for everyone but I'm trying to find out for sure before I Transition more people from my Plex server. I can hardware transcode no problem - I tested with 6 80-105Mbps 4K files down to 1080p on the LAN, I just want to make sure I'm understanding the remote streaming properly and have the settings that cause the least frustrations and issues while maintaining the highest quality possible.

Thank you!

No changes to existing streams will happen.  If you want to partition out your bandwidth, you can use the max internet streaming limit setting in the server to limit it per user.

CodeeCB

I just tested a single stream scenario, set the quality to auto and played the same episode in both Emby and Plex and both servers direct played to me no problem when set to auto. If I'm understanding correctly, if the cellular connection gets worse the stream won't adjust to a lower quality bitrate on Emby and will instead buffer? Is it better to just select the highest playback setting possible for internet quality and then the clients would adjust up and down as a applicable? Thanks again!

CodeeCB

No changes to existing streams will happen. If you want to partition out your bandwidth, you can use the max internet streaming limit setting in the server to limit it per user.

You guys reply impressively fast, thank you! Ok I will see how it goes and how often I have concurrent streams. It would be a shame to limit everyone all the time when a high number of concurrent streams happens only a small percentage of the time. Maybe I'm overthinking this, I never had any issues with this on Plex and never had anyone set their clients to anything other than convert automatically so either I never had too many people streaming at the same time to have an issue or Plex did something under the hood to adjust speed for everyone on its own. Thanks again, I appreciate it :)

I just tested a single stream scenario, set the quality to auto and played the same episode in both Emby and Plex and both servers direct played to me no problem when set to auto. If I'm understanding correctly, if the cellular connection gets worse the stream won't adjust to a lower quality bitrate on Emby and will instead buffer? Is it better to just select the highest playback setting possible for internet quality and then the clients would adjust up and down as a applicable? Thanks again!

No, it is best to leave the setting on Auto.

CodeeCB

No, it is best to leave the setting on Auto.

Ok I'll try that, I'm probably over thinking this for no reason :) I could have sworn earlier I saw a show in the dashboard saying it was being transcoded from HEVC to HEVC (with an Nvidia shield as the playback client remotely) and if that's the case those lower HEVC bitrates should help lower usage enough on the upstream that it wouldn't ever be a problem. Alternatively if Comcast could increase my upload that would be another solution..1400Mbps down and 45Mbps up doesn't seem very balanced haha thanks again, have a great day!

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...