Auto quality needs work

joshua4

I totally agree this is an area of weakness for Emby.  Auto detection has worked terribly on all sorts of clients connecting to my server over time.  It's totally hit and miss.  Probably the worst functional aspect of the product currently IMO.

Fixing this, and adding the ability to continuously detect bandwidth and adjust bitrate during playback would be a huge improvement and would put it on par with many of the commercial video services out there.

So you are okay if everything you play transcodes?

b0dyr0ck2006

Me personally would always take smooth playback over transcoding, just my own personal view but just seems logical to want to be able to stream stuff with no interruptions. If people’s home server can’t handle the strain then they need to upgrade.

My users who are remotely playing can’t use the auto setting and have to manually drop the quality until they find a setting that allows smooth playback, no amount of tweaks my end seem to make any difference. On the fly quality checking would seem the obvious call, as mentioned before in this thread, sometimes latency isn’t stable. I’m based in the uk so our internet providers may run different to the USA.

Ultimately my users shouldn’t need to be playing with settings, Emby should just be a plug and play system for them. The responsibility lays on me as an advanced user and the server admin to ensure that the service provided works, and you guys as the developers need to provide a service that we admins can rely on. Out of the box, things should just work. I’m not talking about all the bells and whistles, just the basic reason we pay for a streaming software package - to stream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm no expert on HLS but I've always understood it to work by having multiple streams available at different bitrates in advance of playback to allow for seamless switching between them depending on the bandwidth available. My questions are:

1) Can ffmpeg switch the target bitrate on the fly without interrupting the hls stream?

2) Would Emby need to encode the stream in multiple bitrates in realtime?

I think it is important to not the other services that use this (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc) have all these videos pre-encoded and are not doing any on the fly transcoding. Does Plex do dynamic quality adjustments?

That is the conventional way it would work on sites like Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix etc.  They produce several versions of each file with specific bit rates.  Do you want 8 to a dozen copies of each movie/show you have?

The other way to do this is like what Plex did and that is dynamically transcode the media on the fly while constantly watching line conditions and buffer fill rate to tell the server if an adjustment is needed.  This all sounds great but has a MAJOR downside as ALL MEDIA IS TRANSCODED.  You can't have adjustable bit rates in direct play.  You can't switch from direct play to transcoding without pauses, etc in playback.  When Plex defaulted to this it broke a lot of servers and cause mucho aggravation as they used this as a default in many clients with no server control.  So servers that could direct play media and hardly ever transcoded, now started transcoding everything.

Yes Plex does do this.

I think this is a great feature if done well.  Needs to be FULLY controllable from the server so it can be turned off.  Should probably only be available on Mobile platforms and not every "fixed" device.  Also if this was done smarter than Plex like being able to go from direct stream to transcode (both already running through ffmpeg) using manifests then it would be a lot more CPU/GPU friendly when the client doesn't need an actual transcode.

• Like 2

antonispgs

My $0.02 is that auto works properly once very maybe 5-6 times. There is usually transoding to a lower quality even if remote bandwidth is enough.

Same files do not get transocided and direct play in full quality if client playback settings is manually set to a bandwidth bigger than the bitrate of the file, instead of auto.

• Like 1

I thin we should discard discussion about dynamic or adaptive bitrates as that's a totally different type of functionality.

If we concentrate on the AUTO QUALITY functionality we users should be able to help it get better.

What would be very helpful is to know when it is and isn't working correctly so we can find out why so adjustments can be made.

b0dyr0ck2006

I think we can all agree that auto settings within lan are fine, the issue arises when trying to stream remotely be it via mobile or one of the many apps/devices. As suggested earlier, when a stream is initiated the server sends a ping to the remote device and tests the connection and latency. From that single test it determines which quality would work smoothly and begins to stream direct or transcodes and streams. As we all know, connections are never constant with a million and one different variables that could effect that connection.

For me, I have an outside connection of 40mbits down and 10mbits up via fibre. Every single device that connects, be it fire stick, Nvidia shield, Apple TV, Xbox one or various mobile phones has to manually change the quality settings from auto down to around the 1-3mbit range just to ensure they have a stable and smooth playback. It’s a bit too much faff, especially when auto should be doing what it says and auto detecting the connection. I appreciate that bitrates and latency is quite a large conversation but it goes hand in hand with this ‘Auto’ issue I feel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cybergrimes

I also have to ask all my remote users to manually set a rate instead of using auto, if I don't they always hit somewhere around 1-2 Mbps but all can do somewhere between 4-6 Mbps without issue.

moviefan

I have a symmetrical gigabit connection over AT&T fiber and no resource limitations whatsoever and I also have many clients that get 1Mb/s or less trying to stream with auto.  When they manually set it higher it works fine.  Same house, same network, same location, different clients get different auto speeds.

To answer ebr's question - No I don't wish everything to transcode.  BUT, if that is required for all remote viewing to make this auto setting work better I would accept it for everything outside of the LAN.

The main problem is just the auto detection works so poorly right now and many people who stream off my server aren't bright enough to figure out where this setting is or really understand what setting they should configure to get it to work well.  They just want to click and work like they are used to with Netflix, etc.

Maybe it could be a user dependent setting.  When I create accounts for users who don't know better and will always be streaming remotely I could set always transcode and have them not worry about this?

• Like 3

neik

If I had hw transcoding working why not?

It wouldn't stress the HW that much and smooth playback is one of - if not the - most important things while watching your stuff and this would ensure it, I guess.

Anyways, the admin should still be able to choose, especially for those who are binded the sw transcode this would be vital. Transcode everything via CPU is not an option to most people.

One of my clients has quite bad Wi-Fi (ethernet is no option), thus the available bandwith varies a lot. If we had this option I probably wouldn't see buffering anymore.

Edited by neik
  • Like 1

MidKnight

I agree, I'm really getting over clients having so many problems with bw varying and can't keep a stable stream.

I'm starting to think maybe plex is the go for remote users

neik

If your hw is capable of hw transcoding why not?

As you know this wouldn't stress your hw that much and it can transcode a few streams simultaneously.

I for instance have a client connected badly (due to distance) to my Wi-Fi (ethernet is no option) and due to that the bw varies quite a lot.

In this circumstances the server updating to the actual available bw would be a bless as it would eliminate buffering.

Same applies on mobile.

I agree though that the user should have an option to select. Those on sw transcoding probably wouldn't want this.

It all depends on the setup you have, thus the user should decide at the end -> options!

• Like 1

Damien_

My settings are default. Anyway that is not the point. The point is if the quality is set to AUTO it should dynamically adjust for continuous streaming. If at any point my connection speed changes, the feature should be intelligent enough to adjust the setting. You know, LIKE NETFLIX DUH.

No

neik

No

I have to agree with joshua4.

Auto means dynamic in every app I can remember... YouTube, Netflix, even Spotify and from what I read Emby's competition does it as well.

€dit: What do you want to express with your "No" anyways?

€dit 2: Just noticed my posts #35 and #37 in this topic are almost a duplicate, you might consider deleting one of them.

Sorry, wasn't intentional just overlooked the first one while posting the second.

Edited by neik

• 2 weeks later...
Damien_

I have to agree with joshua4

Dont do this. His posts are pretty ignorant and include sentences 'like netflix Duh'.  

from what I read Emby's competition does it as well.

This is why I said no. I could go on to explain why but you can read about it and it's mentioned here in this thread. The idea of dynamic bitrate is great except when it forces everything remote to transcode, then it's totally counter productive.  Couple that with the fact that Plex sets the default play settings and not the server means you're having to tell users to adjust their settings - which ends up transcoding anyway. It's really something.

I'm not saying that Plex doesn't do things well but there's a mini exodus happening recently with a lot of it's long time users (me included) that have moved to Emby. The fact @@Luke responds to customers posts is nothing short of a miracle vs where we came from. Believe that.

Edited by meatball

• 2 weeks later...
MovieBuff

I have a different problem, that so far hasn't been discussed. If I use Auto to set the bit rate, after a while it begins to buffer until the video is unwatchable. I can manually set the bit rate to 100mbs and the videos play fine. However, when changing to another video the setting automatically changes itself back to Auto. All of my videos would play fine at 100, but it won't stay at that setting. Am I missing something? Or should there be a button to save my setting until I change it.

cybergrimes

I have a different problem, that so far hasn't been discussed. If I use Auto to set the bit rate, after a while it begins to buffer until the video is unwatchable. I can manually set the bit rate to 100mbs and the videos play fine. However, when changing to another video the setting automatically changes itself back to Auto. All of my videos would play fine at 100, but it won't stay at that setting. Am I missing something? Or should there be a button to save my setting until I change it.

User menu - > Playback settings, should be able to set from Auto to any bitrate

1a7649e99eb80a651273e4d4e07c8996.jpg

MovieBuff

Thanks for the quick reply. I can change the settings in Playback to 4K 100mbps and untick Cinema Mode and the videos play fine, but somehow the settings automatically change back to Auto and Cinema Mode by themselves. Then the buffering starts again. My setting changes on that page somehow don't get saved or something is changing them. All other pages with settings seem fine. I have also changed the Playback setting in Emby on the Smart TV app, which works fine.

Windows 7

Emby Premiere 4.0.3.0

Through Roku to Insignia 4K TV

MovieBuff

Not in the Roku app. I'm changing the settings in Emby first, on the Settings/Playback page. Those are the ones that change back by themselves. I have an Insignia 4K Fire TV with an Emby app called Emby for Fire TV. I open it and at the bottom there are options. When I choose Options/app settings/Playback/Max Streaming Bitrate, I can make bitrate setting changes from a list just like within Emby. I change that to match my settings in Emby. Like I said, playing a 4K video at 100mbps works fine, but I have trouble when Emby is set at Auto.

Not in the Roku app. I'm changing the settings in Emby first, on the Settings/Playback page. 

Okay, those settings are for the web app only.

Each app has its own playback settings because they are dependent on the location of each device.

Does that clear it up for you?

MovieBuff

Thanks ebr, I understand your point. But why aren't the changes to the settings being saved? Why does the Playback revert to Auto without me doing it? Should there be a save button on that page?

Thanks ebr, I understand your point. But why aren't the changes to the settings being saved? Why does the Playback revert to Auto without me doing it? Should there be a save button on that page?

Where, exactly, are they not being saved?  Can you come up with steps that reproduce that problem consistently?

MovieBuff

My previous posts explain all that I know about the problem. It just happened again, so I guess that I'll have to live with it.