Image file in artist folder not used

jhschulz

BlueMax1916

Hi,

On 15/08/2020 at 01:14, Happy2Play said:

Yes Emby changed this action a long time ago instead of forcing users to use Music/Artist/Album structure.

so how is locally stored artist fanart and information stored in .nfo files supposed to be arranged on harddisks file sytems so that Emby can make use of them without relying on online sources?

Cheers

Blue Max

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, BlueMax1916 said:

Hi,

so how is locally stored artist fanart and information stored in .nfo files supposed to be arranged on harddisks file sytems so that Emby can make use of them without relying on online sources?

Cheers

Blue Max

Your folder structure artist will only use your image in folder view.  Emby will get image and metadata from online source to use and store the image in /metadata/library/xx/xxxxxxxxxx and metadata only in the database.

But that is one reason the People Backup plugin was created.

BlueMax1916

Hi,

that may be, but online sources return artist information mostly in English language (not my native language), information is missing completely sometimes, and automatically selected fanart is not always to my liking.

My MP3 files are tagged correctly, folder structure is correct so that artists are found in the online databases like musicbrains etc. The above mentioned issues make this experience not satisying.

Therefore for people being used to .nfo files for videos, TV-series and such a support of .nfo files for music and self-selected fanart would be great and a great addition to variety in using Emby.

Cheers

Blue Max

@Happy2Play we keep talking past each other. We users keep asking how are we supposed to achieve the desired effect that we want in the absence of automatic online scrapers? You the developers (you personally may or may not be a developer) keep telling us that the online scapers will automatically capture and fulfill the info and imagery that we want.

Luke has told us that better management is coming in the future but that doesn't help those of us who are in a pinch today.  Especially after we a had a perfectly good working  system with the same product in the past.

You do understand why the situation is frustrating to us right? Is there not some compromised, easily implementable solution that can be applied in the interim while waiting on the future wholistic solution to materialize?

There are myriad reasons why many of us can not (and in my case will not) use online scrapers. We're in a situation where that didn't matter in the past if we were willing to maintain the metadata ourselves. But we're at a point now where self maintenance of the metadata is counter productive and almost detrimental to the way that the system works and it always leads to more physical effort, the more we try to contine to maintain.

I suggested a few posts back that a simple check by the system to see if we are using scrapers might be the solution. If we are using scrapers then proceed with the new (now accepted) implementation. If not using scrapers revert back to a legacy use of what ever imagery and/or nfo file structure is contained in the folder for the metadata population. It doesn't have to be permanent. Just something to get us by until the future that Luke speaks of is fully implemented.

Again my 2cents

• Thanks 1

florihupf

I agree with EZEd.  I am not using any online tool to get images.  They are wrong anyways in many cases.  So having a well defined place to drop a jpg would be great.

2 hours ago, cayars said:

All of this goes back to not preparing your files correctly.  If you tag your files correctly and follow music naming convention as shown in the knowledge base here most if not all of these issues go away.

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159113-music-naming

I disagree - all of this goes back to the fact that the future that Luke has described whereby all database file management is hinged on built-in file metadata and not dependent on the results of some online third-party source results for what Emby uses as truth is why it doesn't work correctly. In my opinion online scrapers are good for filling in missing data but I wouldn't want to tie the functionality of my database management software to their results. Again, I do use the published music naming rules/suggestions that you quoted to organize my music files.  But I can't and don't trust Musicbrainz and/or AudioDB to auto-fill my metadata because sometimes they are flat out wrong and many other times I just don't want to use the information that they have (even if it is right).  I am quite meticulous about filling in my own metadata (including imagery) for the files that I have.  Even if it is wrong...that is how I want my data to be presented.  I don't want, nor will I stand for Musicbrainz, AudioDB or for that matter Emby even telling me how I want my data presented.  Again back in the old days when MediaBrowser was an add-in for WMC this was how the program worked.  I got used to it and I liked it.  I even understand and agree that the future that Luke describes is better.  But since we're not there yet, I'm not going to be held hostage to "that's just how it is" when I know for a fact in the past it has been better.

Again, I'm not asking for the permanent final solution right now, just a toggle switch work-around (similar to the legacy view toggle that we used to have in Emby for WMC) where I can be more manual and hands on at the file/folder level than so greatly dependent on "automatic" things that I don't control.  Besides, what good is an "automatic thing that does it for you" if every time you look at the results you are disappointed and know that is not what you want?

I have years and years of good captured imagery and data for all of my music artist.  Why not let me use it?

I am active in another thread on-going right now where I have the problem of the artist's name contains the word "Sample" and because of that his files don't even show up in Emby (even according to the music naming rules that you quoted).  Now that, in and of itself is a case of the database management software inadvertently inducing entropy but the issue is the same...a piece of software doing something automatically that I have no easy override control over.  The work around is that I have to rename the files to something other than the artist's actual name so that they are recognized then go back and do a manual intervention to make them appear correctly.  And of course because of that Musicbrainz and AudioDB doesn't know "who tha hell" that is.  So since it is greatly manual anyway.  I may as well not depend on automatic scraping and "convenience plugins" anyway.

If we turn off scrapers we understand that we're taking on the task of manual metadata management. But at the same time we'd like some assistance from the standpoint that for all of the data and file organization and capture that we put into it that we would be allowed to use it (easily) in the manner that we'd like to.  Most here would agree that we once had that with this same product.  We also know that the developers had (and always have) our best interests at heart when they changed the system to be more automatic tool oriented but because that orientation has not yet been fully implemented we are caught in this quasi zone that is somewhat "damned if you do - damned if you don't".

I still feel strongly that a simple toggle switch would help.

</Rant off> - sorry - Ed

Edited by EZEd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happy2Play
2 hours ago, cayars said:

All of this goes back to not preparing your files correctly.  If you tag your files correctly and follow music naming convention as shown in the knowledge base here most if not all of these issues go away.

The issue is Emby recommends a folder based /library/Artist/Album/track structure but will not utilized the Artist layer except for folder view.  So Emby is dependent on online providers for Artists/AlbumArtist metadata even if you already have it in the Artist folder.

• Like 2

Happy2Play
7 minutes ago, cayars said:

Agreed and is something @Luke needs to change.

Well it was originally that way and changed to where we are.  All artist and people migrate away from having there own home to /metadata/library.

From a user standpoint is shouldn't matter where the info get's stored BUT they should have control over the image that gets used.  So if an image is placed in the album or the artist folder it should get used vs pulling from a meta provider.

If you have multiple albums under the artist folder and they have embedded artist graphics these should be used for the artist or allow the user to pick one of them to use.

3 minutes ago, cayars said:

From a user standpoint is shouldn't matter where the info get's stored BUT they should have control over the image that gets used.  So if an image is placed in the album or the artist folder it should get used vs pulling from a meta provider.

If you have multiple albums under the artist folder and they have embedded artist graphics these should be used for the artist or allow the user to pick one of them to use.

agreed

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

So if an image is placed in the album or the artist folder it should get used vs pulling from a meta provider.

Then I believe Emby would have to make structure mandatory.

PenkethBoy
3 hours ago, cayars said:

Do this and 99.9% of the time you get no issues

Album art in Album folder is used

Artist folder used to do the same but Luke removed this option a long time ago with no real basis for it - should comeback pronto - but hey this is Emby - one step forward and two back as its easy to remove something rather than fix the issue - if there was one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Then I believe Emby would have to make structure mandatory.

or a toggle switch - …<if scaper on>…<use scraper image> else <if scaper off>…<use folder image>

If you have info locally it should always be used first and meta-providers only used when info isn't complete.

It's not just the music library that is quirky but other libraries as well.

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

wait till the fabled "full tag driven" turns up for Music - can see that being another round of issues :) 

Happy2Play
7 minutes ago, cayars said:

It's not just the music library that is quirky but other libraries as well.

OT: what other libraries?

Happy2Play
8 minutes ago, PenkethBoy said:

wait till the fabled "full tag driven" turns up for Music - can see that being another round of issues :) 

To me being more tag drive will make structure irrelevant and then more issues as why are my folder images not being used.

2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

OT: what other libraries?

Movies & TV Shows.

I'm reloading my library right now on a different PC. I have complete images on disk, NFO files but Emby is pulling down images vs using the ones I have on disc. It didn't use to do this.

PenkethBoy

depends what luke implements - could go either way

but being fully tag driven - is going to flush out all the people that think there tags are great - when they find they are not

as we see here on the forums on a regular basis

• Like 1

PenkethBoy
1 minute ago, cayars said:

Movies & TV Shows.

I'm reloading my library right now on a different PC. I have complete images on disk, NFO files but Emby is pulling down images vs using the ones I have on disc. It didn't use to do this.

How to report a problem - see link ...... 🤣

• Haha 1

Happy2Play
Just now, cayars said:

Movies & TV Shows.

OT: Have never had that happen but I disable everything on a rebuild.