Image file in artist folder not used

jhschulz

EduardoSantos

It was so elegant to just drop a fanart.jpg and/or a poster.jpg to a folder and seeing it on the interface...

I wonder... Would there be a query in order to do that "database wide"?

No, you'd have to go one by one.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
onewaytrigger

It's a shame that edit music library on Emby is quite broken, it used to work well in the past.

Nfo and image files don't get stored on media folders anymore, even though that option its checked on settings. Plus, they are not stored even on metadata\artists folder...

Edited by onewaytrigger

It works just fine, it's just that artist metadata is not necessarily being stored in the folder that you want it to.

• 1 month later...
EduardoSantos

We will need to figure out a process for this before I can answer that. Thanks.

Hi, is there any suggestion on how to move artist's data from one Emby to other?

Has anybody came up with a strategy on how to do that?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, is there any suggestion on how to move artist's data from one Emby to other?

Has anybody came up with a strategy on how to do that?

We'll need to provide guidance for this. Thanks.

• 3 months later...
BlueMax1916

Hi,

I am using strictly offline sources for artists and music. I have generated the .nfo files with MediaElch software. Coming from MediaPortal 2 I have stored music album folders under the respective artists folders. I have prepared images and .nfo files for artists and stored in the artists folder. So I do not need to do any online scraping when setting up a music library in MediaPortal 2 or Kodi. It is set up just like the first example on this Wiki page -> https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Music-naming and should be working with most 'media center' software.

Mediaportal 2 and Kodi (without Emby) do work with this setup out of the box. But Kodi as a client for the Emby Server (via Emby for Kodi) doesn't. How can I make it work? Can't Emby just take images and .nfo files from the respective artists folders and display them as other software does?

Cheers

Blue Max

Happy2Play

@@BlueMax1916

With the change to how People (Cast and Crew, Artists) are handled, Emby now only uses the images in artist folder for Folder view.  All people images reside in database id folder within /library.

It all comes back to this topic.  As there was a plugin made do to the changes.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/63331-how-to-backup-people-images-with-beta-going-onwards

Edited by Happy2Play

• 3 months later...
florihupf

Hi there,

I just ran into the same issue.  I would like to manually store an artist image in my library.  How do I name those files?

I want to avoid using the Interface and just do it manually so that I can re-create any server installation with ease and without backups.

Thanks!

Hi there,

I just ran into the same issue.  I would like to manually store an artist image in my library.  How do I name those files?

I want to avoid using the Interface and just do it manually so that I can re-create any server installation with ease and without backups.

Thanks!

Artist images are not currently supported in media folders but this is planned for future updates. thanks.

florihupf

Thanks! Much appreciated.  Is this something a plugin could provide, or is that fundamentally out of the window?  If so, I might take a stab at it.

• 2 months later...

@florihupf in theory a plugin could do it but it's probably better to wait for core support. But I can certainly help you find other plugin ideas if interested.

Hetfield

This is a BIG flaw in Emby. I have been waiting for couple of years to get a fix for this, support for local artist images, in the same folder as the artists/albums are. For albums it works, for artists not.

It is not so nice to have 50 - 100 empty pictures on your tv or tablet, when you browse for artiststs. There are lot of artist, who don't have online images in the sources Emby supports. Local artists, legacy artists, minor artists. The issue to not have these pictures, should be priorstised higher in the Emby development team.

In Plex this would propably work. I started with Plex, moved to Emby few years ago. I have life time passport for both. I use Emby rather, because it is open source. Last few years i have went with Emby, not even touched Plex. But this issue should be improved soon. Few years of waiting. Not 10 years more of waiting.

Sent from my BAH2-W19 using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Hetfield said:

This is a BIG flaw in Emby. I have been waiting for couple of years to get a fix for this, support for local artist images, in the same folder as the artists/albums are. For albums it works, for artists not.

It is not so nice to have 50 - 100 empty pictures on your tv or tablet, when you browse for artiststs. There are lot of artist, who don't have online images in the sources Emby supports. Local artists, legacy artists, minor artists. The issue to not have these pictures, should be priorstised higher in the Emby development team.

In Plex this would propably work. I started with Plex, moved to Emby few years ago. I have life time passport for both. I use Emby rather, because it is open source. Last few years i have went with Emby, not even touched Plex. But this issue should be improved soon. Few years of waiting. Not 10 years more of waiting.

Hi.  You can provide images for these artists using "Edit Images" on the artist.  It is just that there is nowhere in the file system to put them to do it "behind the scenes".

Hetfield
Hi.  You can provide images for these artists using "Edit Images" on the artist.  It is just that there is nowhere in the file system to put them to do it "behind the scenes".
I know it is possible thst way. But this i will not do every time i install a server. There should be a persistent way to have an image in artis folder, as there can be in album folder. Until it is possible, i am without artist images. When i open an artist without an image, all the albums have local image just fine.

@ebr this is also what I meant in another thread whereby if a user is not using scrapers you get no imagery in the Artist and Album Artist views.  It has to be manually added.  Even with the scrapers you still miss a lot.  It is a real pain to manually upload Primary and Backdrop images for 100s of artist entries.  Since the Folder view DOES have the artwork from the artist and album folders can it not be a simple code fix to check if the user is or is not using scrapers?  If not using scrapers simply populate Artist and Album Artist views with the same imagery that is already present in the Folder View.  This would likely cut down on a lot of people's heartburn and save them some time in having to populate hundreds of entries manually.

I recently just finished this exercise for 940 artists (manually, with no scrapers on).  I tried to use the People Backup plugin but it saved nothing and my mistake was to Refresh Metadata.  In doing so it wiped out all of the manually loaded imagery.  I was thinking that a full restore using the People Plugin would repopulate it but it did not.  So I had to start over from scratch.  This is quite maddening.

Please just change Emby code to check for scraper use on or off.  If off, duplicate imagery in Folder View to Artist and Artist Album view.  Again, I can not use Musicbrainz and AudioDB scrapers because they wreak havoc on my library.  So I and I'm sure many others do not use them.  Until such time as @Luke can implement the sole use of MP3 tag information as the source for music database management this could be a useful compromise and work around.

Thanks for considering

pünktchen

Can you explain in detail what did not work with the People Backup plugin. What have you done and what do you think should happen?

4 hours ago, pünktchen said:

Can you explain in detail what did not work with the People Backup plugin. What have you done and what do you think should happen?

See post #4 of this thread for detail...

My expectation was that it would backup and save all imagery (and hopefully metadata) of all of my music artists that I had painstakingly and manually uploaded to the folder location of my choosing.  It didn't so it has been removed.  What did I do? I loaded the plugin.  Checked all the boxes of what I wanted backed up and the location where I wanted the backup to save and hit Run Full Backup.  Nothing saved.  Since nothing saved there was nothing to restore when I mistakenly did a metadata refresh on my library.  Again, because I have scrapers turned off.  It wiped out all of my manual inputs.  Not the fault of People Plugin but I was hoping it would have saved the data that I had already put in so that I could restore it in case something like that did happen. Not so evidently.

Edited by EZEd

pünktchen

Oh, the plugin already failed at the backup process?!
Are you willing to debug this with me? Then install the plugin again, set your options and enable logging in the plugin. Run the backup process and attach the embyserver log here.

Maybe it's better to create a new music library in Emby first and then move only some of your music files from the old library location to the new one. Just to be safe!

3 hours ago, pünktchen said:

Oh, the plugin already failed at the backup process?!
Are you willing to debug this with me? Then install the plugin again, set your options and enable logging in the plugin. Run the backup process and attach the embyserver log here.

Maybe it's better to create a new music library in Emby first and then move only some of your music files from the old library location to the new one. Just to be safe!

@pünktchen, I may try that at some later date.  For now, I've manually rebuilt the imagery portion of my library and just want to get back to using/enjoying it for a while.  I'll reload the plugin and set up a portioned library to sandbox with later and let you know when I'm ready to try and trouble shoot.

Thanks for the offer.

• 1 month later...
Hetfield

Quickly testing Jellyfin. Having local artist image in artist folder seems to work just fine. Jellyfin is an open source fork of Emby.

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, Hetfield said:

Quickly testing Jellyfin. Having local artist image in artist folder seems to work just fine. Jellyfin is an open source fork of Emby.

Yes Emby changed this action a long time ago instead of forcing users to use Music/Artist/Album structure.