Installing Emby in docker

Radiance76

• 1 month later...
Guest Otherland

I've created a simply test setup using WSL2 and latest Docker for Windows (2.3.0).

I've also update ther WSL2 kernel to 4.19.121-microsoft-standard, by recompiling the kernel and adding support for the DXG driver.

And I can see it in the device "folder", but I can get emby to detect any hardware for hardware acceleration.
I've 'mapped' /dev/dxg to /dev/dri, but as I thought, that doesn't work.

Anyone got any ideas that to do next ?

OtherlandDK
1 minute ago, Guest Otherland said:

I've created a simply test setup using WSL2 and latest Docker for Windows (2.3.0).

I've also update ther WSL2 kernel to 4.19.121-microsoft-standard, by recompiling the kernel and adding support for the DXG driver.

And I can see it in the device "folder", but I can get emby to detect any hardware for hardware acceleration.

Anyone got any ideas that to do next ?

Damn... I didn't notice that I wasn't logged one...I'm Otherland above 🙂

EODCrafter
14 hours ago, OtherlandDK said:

Damn... I didn't notice that I wasn't logged one...I'm Otherland above 🙂

What's the Point of Docker in Windows? There is no Hardware support....

@alturismocan explain further ...if he feels so inclined.....

Edited by EODCrafter

alturismo

@OtherlandDK i guess you are already on build 20150 or above, i d say thats the minimum reference build to go for

next step would be to see how the gpu access is, /dev/dri prolly wont work as simple as on a linux based docker.

and idk if the current state is already so far to use it with a linux guest docker, afaik its yet only working on windows based dockers,

1st step is for linux based vm's.

so prolly u need (when u are on wddm 2.9)  use a linux vm and run the docker inside this vm for hw acc and not docker for windows.

• Like 1

OtherlandDK
4 hours ago, alturismo said:

@OtherlandDK i guess you are already on build 20150 or above, i d say thats the minimum reference build to go for

next step would be to see how the gpu access is, /dev/dri prolly wont work as simple as on a linux based docker.

and idk if the current state is already so far to use it with a linux guest docker, afaik its yet only working on windows based dockers,

1st step is for linux based vm's.

so prolly u need (when u are on wddm 2.9)  use a linux vm and run the docker inside this vm for hw acc and not docker for windows.

Yeah I'm on build 20175.

But anyways... I do have Emby and a bunch of other services running in docker, behind a Traefik2 rev.proxy, on a bare metal Linux server. Docker on Windows can run Linux containers (without to many issues, at least I haven't met more than a few easy ones to fix).

I'm looking into testing this whether it's possible to run the services in docker on Windows, for the fun of it, but also because my home network consist a lot of Windows computer in a domain.

And mixing a Windows domain and Linux (specifically with user access, rights etc) can be tricky at times. So I was testing if it was possible and maybe even feasible to do it on "pure" Windows environment. That way the only (as I see it right now) the only place where the Linux world and Windows world meet, is on the server running docker. I have services that only can run in Linux containers, not Windows containers. 

But I preferre the hardware acceleration over the ease of user rights access management. So it's was for testing and figuring out if it was possible etc.

Maybe when the dxg etc is more mature and feature complete, and if the Microsoft Wayland impl is done, it's possible, if ever. I don't know yet. But for now it seems that it's not easy at least and maybe not even possible without some sacrifices.

Edited by OtherlandDK