Post Processing - Pass Channel Identifier

PenkethBoy

PenkethBoy

its not a comparable function

No way to mark chapters

No control of ffmpeg options

IIRC does not run straight away

As i outlined back in the OP some channels (if we could easily identify which channel they were recorded from) benefit from different setting when converting/processing

All i want is a single extra parameter returned that identifies the channel it was recorded on - should be simple and straightforward

You agreed back in November that this option made sense

• Like 2

HeadHodge

No way to mark chapters

As i outlined back in the OP some channels (if we could easily identify which channel they were recorded from) benefit from different setting when converting/processing

All i want is a single extra parameter returned that identifies the channel it was recorded on - should be simple and straightforward

Here is a sample of the info that hdhomerun tuner makes available to emby (and everyone):

Available Channels:

{"GuideNumber":"8.1","GuideName":"KFMB-DT","VideoCodec":"MPEG2","AudioCodec":"AC3","HD":1,"URL":"http://192.168.0.201:5004/auto/v8.1"}

{"GuideNumber":"8.2","GuideName":"KFMB CW","VideoCodec":"MPEG2","AudioCodec":"AC3","HD":1,"URL":"http://192.168.0.201:5004/auto/v8.2"}

{"GuideNumber":"8.3","GuideName":"Grit TV","VideoCodec":"MPEG2","AudioCodec":"AC3","URL":"http://192.168.0.201:5004/auto/v8.3"}

So Im thinking if emby passed you a key or index they might enhance their API to provide you access to all this info and more,

Edited by HeadHodge
  • Like 1

Having the channel number would be extremely useful for comskip usage and would allow more powerful usage.

Basically comskip allows the use of DIFFERENT settings based channel number.  So you could use one set of settings for ABC and another set for Hallmark while BBC, HBO, Showtime, etc channels could skip detection completely as they have no typical commercials.

Along the same lines.  I would also like a PRE-Processing section just like post-processing.  All the same info available (ie channel, path, etc).  Reason is again due to functionality of comskip.  Comskip can be setup to start scanning files while they are being recorded.  It scans the files, catches up, waits, then continues until finished.  Being able to start this commercial detection would save overall time in commercial detection.  The post processing script would be setup to wait until the PRE process finishes (won't be long) then could start working with the fully written EDL files and start re-writing the file either without the commercials or with chapter marks.  Another advantage of this is that it spreads out the comskip CPU use pretty evenly throughout the recording phase vs heavier processing after it's done recording.

Spaceboy

Having the channel number would be extremely useful for comskip usage and would allow more powerful usage.

Basically comskip allows the use of DIFFERENT settings based channel number. So you could use one set of settings for ABC and another set for Hallmark while BBC, HBO, Showtime, etc channels could skip detection completely as they have no typical commercials.

Along the same lines. I would also like a PRE-Processing section just like post-processing. All the same info available (ie channel, path, etc). Reason is again due to functionality of comskip. Comskip can be setup to start scanning files while they are being recorded. It scans the files, catches up, waits, then continues until finished. Being able to start this commercial detection would save overall time in commercial detection. The post processing script would be setup to wait until the PRE process finishes (won't be long) then could start working with the fully written EDL files and start re-writing the file either without the commercials or with chapter marks. Another advantage of this is that it spreads out the comskip CPU use pretty evenly throughout the recording phase vs heavier processing after it's done recording.

asked for pre processing for exactly that purpose 3-4 months ago. Was roundly ignored.
  • Like 1

I asked for it and mentioned it in other posts as well but don't think I ever made a formal request for it (shame on me). Got a link to your request?

I'm sure we could rally support for this especially if we sweeten the deal.  I'm sure a few of us could put together some sweet pre/post processing scripts that everyone could use which would essentially bring commercial cutting/marking to Emby. These could even be included.

I'd certainly volunteer to take part or provide said scripts.  I'd much rather have this "built in" vs using MCEBuddy which is finicky at times.  I just haven't bothered because there is no motivation to move from MCEBuddy without the PRE option OR channel numbers.

Spaceboy

I asked for it and mentioned it in other posts as well but don't think I ever made a formal request for it (shame on me). Got a link to your request?

I'm sure we could rally support for this especially if we sweeten the deal. I'm sure a few of us could put together some sweet pre/post processing scripts that everyone could use which would essentially bring commercial cutting/marking to Emby. These could even be included.

I'd certainly volunteer to take part or provide said scripts. I'd much rather have this "built in" vs using MCEBuddy which is finicky at times. I just haven't bothered because there is no motivation to move from MCEBuddy without the PRE option OR channel numbers.

i think we have the scripts even, just not the functionality from emby to kick them off when a recording starts. Said at the time this could be used to replace the removed recordings conversion process as well as things like comskip for commercial detection. I’ll find the request

Here it is https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/62996-Recorded-TV---In-Progress-Processing

Edited by Spaceboy

PenkethBoy

Here is a sample of the info that hdhomerun tuner makes available to emby (and everyone):

Available Channels:

{"GuideNumber":"8.1","GuideName":"KFMB-DT","VideoCodec":"MPEG2","AudioCodec":"AC3","HD":1,"URL":"http://192.168.0.201:5004/auto/v8.1"}

{"GuideNumber":"8.2","GuideName":"KFMB CW","VideoCodec":"MPEG2","AudioCodec":"AC3","HD":1,"URL":"http://192.168.0.201:5004/auto/v8.2"}

{"GuideNumber":"8.3","GuideName":"Grit TV","VideoCodec":"MPEG2","AudioCodec":"AC3","URL":"http://192.168.0.201:5004/auto/v8.3"}

So Im thinking if emby passed you a key or index they might enhance their API to provide you access to all this info and more,

yes - Ideally the Channel/Guide Number and the Name  (Name on its own would not work as we might have the same "Channel" from multiple tuners/m3u's) - the PP script can then apply the appropriate options to the recording - based on a simple lookup

• Like 1

i think we have the scripts even, just not the functionality from emby to kick them off when a recording starts. Said at the time this could be used to replace the removed recordings conversion process as well as things like comskip for commercial detection. I’ll find the request

Here it is https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/62996-Recorded-TV---In-Progress-Processing

Yes well it's no wonder it didn't go anywhere. :) I hijacked the crap out of it "over thinking" the very simple request you made.

Sorry about that.

I am however still very excited about the possibilities that the "Pre" and channel ID/station options would give us (for all kinds of things).

• Like 1

Spaceboy

Yes well it's no wonder it didn't go anywhere. :) I hijacked the crap out of it "over thinking" the very simple request you made.

Sorry about that.

I am however still very excited about the possibilities that the "Pre" and channel ID/station options would give us (for all kinds of things).

[emoji3] no problem

No way to mark chapters

When you say marking chapters, do you mean custom chapters, or do you want chapters from the source preserved?