Possible emby convert from plex

dicemoon

dicemoon

Hi all, I'm currently on plex. I have installed the emby server and so far I like it's interface. In my home I have my server pc, an nvidia shield, fire stick, chromecast, roku, a couple android phones, an android tablet and a couple of laptops. I installed the emby client app on my shield and it tells me I'm in trial mode. I have read a little into this and it seems that emby does not have free unlimited play functionality on some devices like the fire stick etc. Is this true? I am currently able to play plex on my devices and only had to pay an unlocking fee for a couple devices (my phones and tablet). I was hoping emby would be a more stable platform and allow me network play via my internal network drops out. Am I correct in seeing that I would need to pay for a subscription of some sort to use the unlimited play functionality and does this mean that I would need to authenticate on an internet server? This looks like a good product, but from what I am seeing it may not be the choice for me based on the number of devices I have and the fact that I would want unlimited play and my internet does drop out occasionally. 

Thank you for any help/clarification anyone can bring.

dicemoon

Thank you for your response. I don't think this will be the solution I am looking for. I understand the purpose of a business is obviously to turn a profit, having small children who think they need to eat every day has made me rethink a lot of purchases. Funds are just not there currently to get this off the ground and test it the way I wanted to. I wish you all well. Good day.

arrbee99

Obviously your finances are entirely up to you, but might be worth a months trial for $5 and then see ?

Believe Emby does authenticate but apparently its only once a week(ish).

Rohanaj

It looks like you posted your response as I was typing this one up, @@dicemoon, but I figured I'd hit "Post" on this anyway.

I used Plex in the past as well, but made the switch to Emby because of a variety of factors - one of the largest being the software itself not giving me the level of control and oversight that I wanted.  Emby has been great for me in that regard, and I've been extremely happy with it.  To address your specific points, though:

1. Local network play - Emby works perfectly without an internet connection as long as your router/modem is still functioning to allow your local network connections.  In a browser, you just need to reference your internal network address for the server to connect; on an app, it automatically locates the server when the device is connected to the same local network.  I just tested this about 5 minutes ago and can confirm it definitely works that way.

2. Device playback - colfin22 posted the device matrix, which is very helpful in determining the balance of your usage.  While some devices have a paid unlock on them, given the device list you mentioned, I would recommend you do Emby Premiere, which would cover all your bases across your devices for playback and features.  You could always try Emby Premiere out for a month or two ($4.99 a month I believe), which is what I did when I was giving it all a try.  [Arrbee99 also just mentioned this in a reply.]

3. Authentication - Emby offers two methods of connecting to your server:  (1) direct connection via IP or web address (you do need to set up your own web address if you want to go that route - there are lots of helpful threads and instructions around to help you do that if you choose); or (2) use Emby Connect.  I use method (1), which means I go directly to my server without a middle man.

Hopefully some of that is helpful, but if you still choose to move on, all the best to you.

• Like 1

Rohanaj

Obviously your finances are entirely up to you, but might be worth a months trial for $5 and then see ?

Believe Emby does authenticate but apparently its only once a week(ish).

Good point on the authentication piece - that's the authentication for Emby Premiere that does need to check in to validate the Premiere subscription - I was thinking of the authentication question only from the perspective of getting to the server itself.

TiraelSedai

I want to add my 5 cents: if you are super tight on budget you can use DLNA on the clients that are not free.

Sure it's not as shiny and convenient, but it gives you playback and saves the watching progress.