Android TV/Shield and Mpeg2 Over the air recordings

snorkel

snorkel

Doesn't the Shield have mpeg2 decoding ability?  I could have swore nvidia added that years ago.

If so why do all my recordings transcode on the shield?

I tried doing the latest convert feature the server has but it just does not work properly.  worked great when the convert on the fly was available.

Should  be using some other player instead of the included one?

snorkel

I would have to look.  But the stats for nerds does show every recording from the HDhomerun transcodes and it makes the seeks (FF RW) super slow.

The shield is supposed to have a hardware mpeg2 decoder.

snorkel

I have that deinterlace option enabled for SD not HD.   I played with those settings and it transcodes them no matter what I do.

The only thing that did work was when emby had the convert on the fly to mp4.

snorkel

Ok, upon further investigation, it appears the Video is streaming direct, but it's the audio that is getting transcoded.  Is there some reason why the Android TV client can't handle the MPEG2 Audio?

I will have to look at the stats for nerds again, I can't remember what the original audio is but I think it was some form of 5.1 maybe dolby?

Q-Droid

Playback of ATSC OTA my Nvidia Shield.

MPEG2 Video - Direct

Dolby 5.1 Audio - Direct

Transcode Reason: Unsupported Container

The container gets remuxed due to unsupported TS format but the streams are playing directly and not being transcoded or converted.

Playback of ATSC OTA my Nvidia Shield.

MPEG2 Video - Direct

Dolby 5.1 Audio - Direct

Transcode Reason: Unsupported Container

The container gets remuxed due to unsupported TS format but the streams are playing directly and not being transcoded or converted.

Since you are jumping into somebody else's thread, can you please first describe the issue that you're having? Thanks.

Q-Droid

I don't have an issue. I was providing evidence that the Nvidia Shield can handle MPEG2 Video and DD 5.1 Audio without transcoding of OTA content.

And that the transcoding message is about the container, not the streams.

My apologies for not being clearer.

• 3 months later...
IkeTaylor11

We do this because seeking may otherwise not work correctly.

Luke, hoping this can be explained better and if the current playback of recordings is working as it should or if something needs to be fixed. Whenever I playback a recording that was done by Emby (.ts format) I get the "unsupported container" transcoding and the stream is remuxed for playback. According to the ExoPlayer site (https://google.github.io/ExoPlayer/supported-formats.html) I believe it supports the HLS format with the mpegts container type and H264 and AAC streams. If thats the case, then why is the playback remuxing instead of direct playing? If that isn't the case, can this be fixed so that recordings can direct play? I have attached a copy of the stats for nerds on a recording playback.  

EDIT: I did some further looking into this which led me to the Android developers site (https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/media/media-formats). According to their site the .ts format inside and mpegts container is supported, but not for seeking. So is this the reason that Emby is transcoding it, to allow for seeking of the recording? If thats the case, why doesnt Emby do recordings in .mp4 and deliver them in the MPEG-4 container? That would allow for seeking capability and stop with all the transcoding and remuxing that has to happen on every playback of recorded media. 

post-386849-0-08790200-1551189729_thumb.jpg

Edited by IkeTaylor11

See my answer here.

We used to try to convert to mp4 but it was extremely unreliable.  You can use our conversion feature to convert them after they finish, however.

IkeTaylor11

See my answer here.

We used to try to convert to mp4 but it was extremely unreliable. You can use our conversion feature to convert them after they finish, however.

I’ve read in other threads that the automatic convert after the recording is finished it not reliable either. Because it’s controlled by a task and not event driven. Has this been improved yet or does the issue still exist? I would be fine with doing the convert after the fact if it’s reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not aware of any reliability problems with the conversion feature.

When the task happens doesn't impact its reliability...

IkeTaylor11

I'm not aware of any reliability problems with the conversion feature.

When the task happens doesn't impact its reliability...

the reliability seems to be if and when the task kicks off. See attached thread below. If the conversion was event based, as soon as the recording ends, it would resolve the issue.  Since the task is run on a schedule and theres instances where the task doesnt run then you end up having to wait longer for the conversion to happen. 

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/61551-bring-back-the-convert-on-the-fly/

maegibbons

It is possible to run a Post Processing script to convert the .ts to .mkv and do whatever you want.

This is used by several of us..

You are right that whilst the convert function does work it does not immediately get fired on recording finish.

Once they actually sort that it will be much better.

TBH with the knowledge that they have now accumalted with ffmpeg and the fact that they have forked there own I think they could have another go at "on the Fly" conversion and get it working properly at the time of recording.

Krs

Mark

IkeTaylor11

@@maegibbons thats what I was hoping @@ebr would have said. If the recording process was just done directly to mp4 then there would be no remuxing or transcoding that would need to happen outside of the recording. I don't think a conversion would even need to happen. The record process would just save the file as a .mp4 instead of a .ts file so the conversion is happening directly inside the recording process, not after its completed. 

Or am I completely off base and that isn't possible? 

It isn't as simple as just changing a file extension or how something is saved.  There are a lot of moving parts here.

We may be able to bring the "on the fly" conversion back at some point but we aren't there yet.

IkeTaylor11

It isn't as simple as just changing a file extension or how something is saved. There are a lot of moving parts here.

We may be able to bring the "on the fly" conversion back at some point but we aren't there yet.

I’m not saying it’s simple or that it’s even just a different file extension name. I know it would be a shift in how the software currently works. But, i would like to see it stay on the devs radar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk