ROKU eating up ram

gzowner

So i have about 3 clients on my server- Linux Ubuntue 4gig ram 4xquad. 

Before i added the 3rd client the other 2 users are doing great, No complaints, server is fine and happy.. running around 2gig of space left. Soon as the roku gets on, it instantly goes to transcode and all the ram is up and i have to reboot the server or kick the user off to let them have a turn. ( this is for LIVE TV).

Soon as i kick the roku user off, ram goes back to normal. The roku user has the settings to allow direct stream but still wants to transcode.. What am I missing here. I had to put the 2 best clients i got on my personal private vps so they can have tv and not have down time while mess around with this roku user. 

Edited by gzowner

Hi, to avoid transcoding I would suggest making sure your media is in Roku compatible formats. Have you done that?

TranscodeReasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit

This is out of our control since a bitrate constraint must be adhered to. This means it cannot copy the mpeg2video stream. It is transcoding because of the bitrate restriction. Depends on the speed of your Upload. Then depends on the speed of their Download from your server. This plays a major role into how the app will initially auto-detect the bitrate. If they know their bitrate limit they can use the settings in the app to choose a setting other than automatic. This will remove the bitrate restriction, but may now instead, cause them severe buffering as the stream is now not fed to them fast enough.

Conversely, you can disable transcoding for that user. This will force the app to always send them the direct container. Which in this case would play the TS for them direct. The Roku does support this and it would play. The issue would be that user then cannot move the seek bar. It will in effect become a livestream with simply a pause button, which will then build a buffer you can seek, the max you can pause using this is 30 minutes. So the max buffer you keep is 30 minutes and then it just jumps to real time after that. So you can force them to never transcode if it is liveTV. The logs you posted do show their device supports the mpeg2 stream delivered to them. It just had no choice but to transcode to h264 because of that bitrate restriction.

Now as to why it is eating all the RAM and slowing things down. That is a conversation for another person. I can only tell you why it is transcoding. :)

Edited by speechles

macgyvertv

this is my other account i forgot.. 

actaully 1100.. and its just roku that eating thigns up. I move the 2 clients over and 4gig of ram is serving its purpose without issues.