Item by name changes

Luke

There are some almost transparent changes coming here. This only affects those of you using the item by name url's:

/Artists

/Genres

/GameGenres

/MusicGenres

/People

/Studios

In exchange for about ten extra seconds on the library scan, we now have really rich counts for all of these items:

* AdultVideoCount 
* MovieCount
* SeriesCount 
* EpisodeCount
* GameCount
* TrailerCount 
* SongCount
* AlbumCount 
* MusicVideoCount 

Now this information no longer needs to be calculated on the fly, giving us really fast access to it. That means the available page size in the web client will now go up to 500, and we'll be able to add sort order for these as well. (e.g., view people sorted by the number of movies they're in). It wasn't feasible to do this before due to performance.

Changes you need to make:

The only change you need to make is, instead of looking at ChildCount, instead look at the strongly named property instead (MovieCount, TrailerCount, etc).

Secondly, the counts url, e.g. /Persons/{Name}/Counts - this will go away because the information will be available directly on the person object itself. I'm guessing most of you are not using the counts url.

I will be updating this article:

Thanks. The people/genres/studios tabs in the web client will all be faster now.

This was really needed for MBT. The calculations were ok for the web client because the was limited to 200 max at a time. In MBT you're going to be scrolling fast through the whole list so we need all of it.

So does this mean we don't need to include the "ItemCount" field in the fields part of the query? Would I need to request "MovieCount" in the fields or is the information always there and returned?

ItemCounts is a rollup - when you ask for that, you get a number of count-related properties. So yes, you do still have to ask for it, and then you get all of the properties i mentioned.