Automatic Update?

Concept211

Concept211

Would it be possible to schedule automatic nightly updates to Media Browser Classic? We only run it on-demand but it's annoying to get prompted nearly every time we launch it to update.  It would be great if it just updated itself overnight so that we're always running the latest and greatest.

thanks!

• Like 1

i'd like to be able to do that but it is a lot harder with MBC than with our other apps because MBC requires that we run an actual installer and it takes up to a minute for it to run.  Most people's HTPCs are asleep when not in use so the net effect could end up being even worse as the auto update would run when you start up every time so it would delay the start and there would be nothing you could do about it.

Concept211

Thanks for the response!  

What if maybe I could configure the Task Scheduler to run a VBS script that would check for a new installer and automatically run it unattended every night.  Where exactly does the installer get downloaded to or is it even downloaded automatically? Can you think of any way outside of MB where I could automate this?

Thanks again for your help!

I haven't tested this so all disclaimers apply but you might be able to schedule the installer to run each night.  It will always install the latest release version and, I think, even though it will attempt to install each time over itself, it should fail and not hurt anything but would get a new version if there is one.

The installer is in the program files (x86)\mediabrowser\mediabrowser folder.

• 2 months later...
Concept211

So I tried running the installer inside C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaBrowser\MediaBrowser directly but when I do, it downloads and launches the Server installer instead of the Classic one.  But if I initiate the update via the Classic interface, it seems to launch the Classic installer just fine.  

So it seems to me that there needs to be some parameters passed to the .exe to tell it which installer to download and run?

• Like 1

nydude25

Just turn off the automatic updates and you won't be prompted.

Then you can update on your own schedule when you feel like there is a reason or feature for you to update. It also gives you a chance to read about whether the update is stable and has had major bugs worked out of it or not before you install it.

Concept211

Just turn off the automatic updates and you won't be prompted.

Then you can update on your own schedule when you feel like there is a reason or feature for you to update. It also gives you a chance to read about whether the update is stable and has had major bugs worked out of it or not before you install it.

I actually WANT automatic updates but I want them unattended on a scheduled basis.  

Edited by Concept211

scotsman

Yep, I like this suggestion, but I understand the issues involved.

My wife hates having the "new update available" prompt appear most times  she opens MBC.

So I tried running the installer inside C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaBrowser\MediaBrowser directly but when I do, it downloads and launches the Server installer instead of the Classic one.  But if I initiate the update via the Classic interface, it seems to launch the Classic installer just fine.  

So it seems to me that there needs to be some parameters passed to the .exe to tell it which installer to download and run?

You're running the file named "MediaBrowser.Classic.Installer.exe" in that folder and it launches the server installer?

My wife hates having the "new update available" prompt appear most times  she opens MBC.

You could make the account your wife uses a non-admin account and she won't be prompted to update. I have one admin account that I use for "admin" purposes and the rest of my users are regular users (mine, wife, kids).

• Like 3

Truly automatic updates for MBC would be nice but are not practical.  We have to run a true installer and we require admin elevation. We simply cannot rely on that to work unattended.

nydude25

Are there any issues involved with updating MB manually instead of automatically? With Windows Updates, I have always turned off the automatic updates feature and only update manually as well. By updating these things manually, you can update only when you need to, like to fix bug issues or incorporate new features.

Especially with an HTPC, I don't want to come home from work, wanting to just relax and watch TV or a movie, only to find out that an automatic update is causing issues that need hours of troubleshooting.

I've only been using MB for a few months now, but I turned off the updates after the install and haven't had any issues. It's been solid for me since April.

techywarrior

Are there any issues involved with updating MB manually instead of automatically? With Windows Updates, I have always turned off the automatic updates feature and only update manually as well. By updating these things manually, you can update only when you need to, like to fix bug issues or incorporate new features.

Especially with an HTPC, I don't want to come home from work, wanting to just relax and watch TV or a movie, only to find out that an automatic update is causing issues that need hours of troubleshooting.

I've only been using MB for a few months now, but I turned off the updates after the install and haven't had any issues. It's been solid for me since April.

No, but release level updates aren't pushed out that often. If you are concerned with the frequency of updates you should change the update level to release level.

The industry is moving towards automatic and even silent updates because it is so hard to support software when people are running 10 different versions of it.

This is especially the case with something like MB, which is evolving rapidly.  If you turn off automatic updates you will be left behind quickly.

nydude25

The industry is moving towards automatic and even silent updates because it is so hard to support software when people are running 10 different versions of it.

This is especially the case with something like MB, which is evolving rapidly.  If you turn off automatic updates you will be left behind quickly.

I think you'll find that most people involved in the HTPC area value reliability and stability over the rapid pace of new feature additions. The automatic and silent update issue is growing lately, it seems to be something Microsoft avoids and Google loves. Taking the control of updates away from the user might be necessary for security issues, but you think it is necessary just to randomly add features like MB is doing? 

Don't get me wrong, I like using MB, and so far, I'm satisfied with the version I installed in April and it does everything I need it to. 

I think keeping current is a necessity for us to be able to support the product with the resources we have (basically none).  So, if you don't keep up, the first thing we will ask you to do if you have a problem is update.