Unauthorized Library Access

phelan1109
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

phelan1109

Hello,

I think that I have found a bug in the library access scheme.  It most certainly could be a problem with my understanding of how it works or my assumptions of how it works.

I currently have EMBY server running on FreeNAS 11.2-beta3.  It was originally setup as a jail on previous versions but since the update mechanisms were broken I decided to migrate the new plugin format.  I installed the "Backup & Restore" plugin and backed up my configuration, created a new FreeNAS EMBY instance under the new UI and restored the old configuration.  This worked quite well although there were some areas that required additional setup.

I assumed that since the users came over that the library access would have also been preserved.  This was apparently not the case.  I have certain libraries that are supposed to only be available to certain users... for instance I have all my children's movies separated from the parent's movies.  I have a teenager that I allow to watch the children's movies but not all of the parents movies.  I have another library called shared that I put the movies I wish to share with my teenager in.  This seems to be an appropriate way for me to control the kids ability to see certain movies.  I could use the ratings system but have not really looked into it well enough to have confidence.  Physical separation via libraries works well.

I have TVs with ROKU devices attached and that is how my kids access the EMBY content.  While fixing a remote control for one device I decided to get into the EMBY app via the ROKU and I noticed that the home screen was blank except for the "Continue Watching" section.  I figured that this was due to home screen settings not coming over and decided to try a search.  I typed in several terms and to my surprise ALL library content was returned and watchable!

Upon logging into the server management from my PC I determined that this was due to NO library access being selected.  Once I selected certain libraries to be available the search results were limited to just those libraries.

It seems that in the absence of library access selections ALL libraries are available via the search...

Is this a bug that needs  to be fixed or a "feature" that is unexpected based on my assumptions of access?

Hi, it really depends. did you create your libraries from scratch on the new server, or did you use the backup & restore process to restore your libraries?

phelan1109

The libraries were imported from the previous backup.

The migration steps I followed were:

1. Install the new plugin.

2. Shut it down and create all the storage mount points exactly like the previous jail.

3. Start up the server and perform a minimal setup including installing my premier key and the backup/restore plugin.

4. Imported the previous backup and restarted.

I then proceeded to configure my main account home screen and have the server rescan all the libraries.  I noticed that it had begun to display all the movies without the posters.  I never would have thought that the library access per user would have been corrupted or lost and even so, if it had been reset, that access would be allowed while searching.

Consequently, this still works this way - if I create a new user or modify an existing user and neglect/remove library access ALL libraries become searchable in any app.

Happy2Play

Consequently, this still works this way - if I create a new user or modify an existing user and neglect/remove library access ALL libraries become searchable in any app.

Testing this on my Roku and Web client, removing access from all libraries only gave me access Trailers (Channels) do to trailer plugin.  Search only provided results from trailers.

Windows beta server 3.6.0.58 and Roku beta channel v3.0.116.

Edited by Happy2Play

phelan1109

I am running FreeNAS 11.2-BETA3, Emby Server 3.5.2.0, and it does not matter which way I access the server (ROKU app, Web portal, Chrome extension, etc).  If a user has NO library access listed then searching returns items from ALL libraries setup.

I am running FreeNAS 11.2-BETA3, Emby Server 3.5.2.0, and it does not matter which way I access the server (ROKU app, Web portal, Chrome extension, etc).  If a user has NO library access listed then searching returns items from ALL libraries setup.

I can't reproduce this, so we can probably assume it's resolved for the next release. Thanks.

• Solution
Happy2Play

I can't reproduce this, so we can probably assume it's resolved for the next release. Thanks.

Tested on Windows stable 3.5.3.0 and was able to reproduce this using web client. So yes it appears fixed in 3.6.

• Like 1