Transcoding when I don't think it should

FordGT90Concept

Guest asrequested

This isn't about withholding, this is about the term convert vs. transcode.

Exactly. So the server has a transcoding section. In the stats for nerds it says transcoding. But in the settings, convert. So let's come at this from the view point of someone new to all of this. They are having a playback problem (stuttering). The option to convert, is enabled. We ask, what are the stats telling you? They look and see nothing that says converting. The nomenclature is saying transcoding, and the reason why it's transcoding. So now they have to translate convert into transcoding. Does that make any sense? That's making it more confusing, for them. The less variation to the nomenclature, the easier it will be to learn.

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

Well you're certainly right that it should be consistent, so yes, we ought to pick one and use it everywhere.

Guest asrequested

Well you're certainly right that it should be consistent, so yes, we ought to pick one and use it everywhere.

Which is what I said in post #10

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

I don't agree.  The audience must be taken into account.

The server is managed by someone with some basic knowledge of the technical aspects of all of this.

The app is in front of every basic user.  I think we should avoid using obtuse terms in the standard descriptions exposed to those users.

"Stats for Nerds" is just that, so using the term there is fine.

Jdiesel

Does a basic user even know what interlacing is let alone if it needs to be enabled on the server? I think it is slippery slope assuming what a basic user knows. Maybe there should be an advanced settings menu where some of this can reside.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Here's another way to look at this. The apps are useless without a server. So it's the responsibility of the server administrator to help their users with any issues they may have. But if the admin is not understanding, how can they help their users. We aren't talking about independent apps like Netflix etc. So 'the audience' IS the server administrator. If we don't understand what's happening, that's a much bigger problem. Which is what's happened, in this case.

The majority of people posting on here are server admins. Not app users with no server.

• Like 3

PenkethBoy

wow now we are just users with basic knowledge - hmmmm

and Transcoding has morphed into being Obtuse or is it Convert that's now Obtuse - Sorry i don't know anymore as i'm not sure if i'm one of the 90% who are categorized as dumbass and cant think for themselves or 10% who have basic knowledge but are being told what to think by the devs who cannot be wrong or admit they might have been foolish to post silly comments.

• Like 2

bcm00re

Ask your mom what it means to convert something and then ask her what it means to transcode it.

My mom would say trans-what? LOL

• 2 weeks later...
FordGT90Concept

So @@FordGT90Concept, did you figure out what was causing your issue?

Yeah, turning off the deinterlacing options stopped the server transcoding. Maybe some updates helped sort it too. In either case, seeing a lot fewer transcode logs now. Edited by FordGT90Concept