Transcoding when I don't think it should

FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept

Source: HDHomeRun EXTEND

Destination: NVIDIA SHIELD (2017)

Server appears to be transcoding when it shouldn't be. In fact, I think it should be using transcode=none because this is live TV. I'm pretty confident SHIELD can handle MPEG2-TS. Server should be capturing that unedited MPEG2-TS stream and copying it to the SHIELD.

Attached a copy of the transcode log (it's still going).

ffmpeg-transcode-668f626a-0cd0-41e8-b462-7679039204a8_1.txt

Edited by FordGT90Concept

Guest asrequested

Well, it isn't MPEG-2, it's h264. So it really shouldn't be transcoding. MPEG-TS is the transport container.

Input #0, mpegts, from 'http://127.0.0.1:8096/LiveTv/LiveStreamFiles/c70d5f2ec16f44b88c22ed03e658a3a4/stream.ts':
  Duration: N/A, start: 35984.181822, bitrate: N/A
  Program 3 
    Stream #0:0[0x31]: Video: h264 (High) ([27][0][0][0] / 0x001B), yuv420p(tv, top first), 1920x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], Closed Captions, 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 90k tbn, 59.94 tbc
    Stream #0:1[0x34](eng): Audio: ac3 (AC-3 / 0x332D4341), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 384 kb/s
Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (h264 (native) -> h264 (libx264))
  Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (copy

At the most it should be remux/stream copy. Have you tried the beta app?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24350-android-open-beta-testing/

Also, do you have the deinterlace on the server, turned off?

Edited by Doofus

FordGT90Concept

Have you tried the beta app?

It should be running the beta.

Also, do you have the deinterlace on the server, turned off?

I think it is enabled but deinterlacing is something that should be handled on the SHIELD.

server log?

Attached.

I should also note that between creating this thread and now, a show on PBS (one of the 27 sub channels) was told to tune, it did, but then it stopped, then it showed a still picture of the show, and the user quit Emby and switched to HDHR app.

When it was server transcoding, there were artifacts in the resulting video, especially along the left side of the screen.

log.zip

I think it is enabled but deinterlacing is something that should be handled on the SHIELD.

So you have enabled an option to perform de-interlacing on the server and now you are wondering why it is doing that?

Have you tried turning off that option?

FordGT90Concept

The options that were enabled were on the SHIELD: "Deinterlace SD" and "Deinterlace HD" under playback settings. I turned them back off but no one has used it yet.

These options right here, correct?

5bdb3a9bc0de1_deinterlaceoptions.png

Did you read the descriptions of the options?  (the HD one is off by default so you would have had to enable it)

Guest asrequested

Maybe that should read transcode, instead of convert? And in this case, there seems to be the idea that this only happens if the device can't deinterlace, and not that it's an either/or choice.

So maybe "Transcode on server to deinterlace, instead of deinterlace on device"? Or something like that?

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 2

FordGT90Concept

Yeah, the way it is phrased now, I figured it would be something simple like remuxing. If the word "transcode" was used, I most likely would have left it off because yucky.

Guest asrequested

That should probably be used everywhere 'convert' is used, in everything Emby. Convert is a bit ambiguous. Whereas transcode is more clearly understood.

• Like 3

Transcode isn't even a word...

Convert is exactly what is going on and is a word that a layperson will understand.

Guest asrequested

I really don't understand this. Here you have an actual example of misunderstanding resulting in a problem report, but yet you cling to the idea that the existing wording is better. Clearly, you are wrong in your assumption.

As to whether transcode is a word, of course it is.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/transcode

• Like 2

FordGT90Concept

Transcode isn't even a word...

Convert is exactly what is going on and is a word that a layperson will understand.

When you say convert, I think 1 m = 100 cm. It's not resource intensive, it's done on the fly, no one really notices it.

When you say transcode, I think $$$$$$$. You're literally decoding every frame, interpreting it, and encoding it as something else. Yes, transcoding is a type of conversion but it's a word that carries with it a sense of burden. It's not something that's cheap, quick, and easy like the word "convert" conveys.

"Convert" implies that it is like remuxing: a minor shift a bits, which is why I enabled it. If it said "transcode" I would have likely disabled in on SD instead of enabling it on HD. Come to think of it, I've had problems on SD going way back and that box being ticked might be why. I would have not have realized that until ticking the box for HD and discovering all of the problems with it.

FordGT90Concept

Looks like it is still transcoding.

Input #0, mpegts, from 'http://127.0.0.1:8096/LiveTv/LiveStreamFiles/dade997f8e5641ca87382e8cc46aac4d/stream.ts':
  Duration: N/A, start: 26932.240133, bitrate: N/A
  Program 3 
    Stream #0:0[0x31]: Video: h264 (High) ([27][0][0][0] / 0x001B), yuv420p(tv, top first), 1920x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], Closed Captions, 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 90k tbn, 59.94 tbc
    Stream #0:1[0x34](eng): Audio: ac3 (AC-3 / 0x332D4341), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 384 kb/s
Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (copy)
That said, only issue I've seen so far is what's described in this thread: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/64782-live-tv-program-changed-pop-up-interrupted-stream/&do=findComment&comment=643180

logs.zip

Looks like it is still transcoding.

Input #0, mpegts, from 'http://127.0.0.1:8096/LiveTv/LiveStreamFiles/dade997f8e5641ca87382e8cc46aac4d/stream.ts':
  Duration: N/A, start: 26932.240133, bitrate: N/A
  Program 3 
Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (copy)
That said, only issue I've seen so far is what's described in this thread: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/64782-live-tv-program-changed-pop-up-interrupted-stream/&do=findComment&comment=643180

It is transcoding now because the attempt to direct play it produced an error.  Is it playing back fine?

Maybe you should Convert your understanding of Transcode!

I know everyone in this forum thinks they know what "transcode" means (a lot of you don't because this is happening on 90% of the items you play and you don't even know it) but most of our users are not on this forum.

Ask your mom what it means to convert something and then ask her what it means to transcode it.

CBers

I know everyone in this forum thinks they know what "transcode" means (a lot of you don't because this is happening on 90% of the items you play and you don't even know it) but most of our users are not on this forum.

Ask your mom what it means to convert something and then ask her what it means to transcode it.

Why are you dumbing everything down lately ?

As I've said before, set your defaults for inexperienced users, but allow advanced users more options to tailor their systems the way they want.

:)

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Ebr, I feel like we are frustrating you. For my part, I'm not intending to. But as testers, don't you want our feedback as to what we feel would be an improvement? I realize that you guys have a great deal of work, and there is pressure that comes with that. But if you keep rejecting our suggestions without consideration, some of us may stop venturing our suggestions/opinions, all together. There aren't that many beta testers. Alienating us, I don't think is a productive approach.

• Like 1

We are listening to you. That's what we do in this forum all day long and we constantly make adjustments based on your feedback. For this particular issue, the thing to keep in mind is that we have to design for everyone, and not just advanced or power users.

Jdiesel

As I've said before withholding information/options because you think the lowest common denominator won't understand should not set precedence for development. Give users the full picture and good documentation to support it, those who don't understand can easily learn.

The nature of managing a media server is fairly high up on the list of techy hobbies. If the user can't be bothered to know what transcoding is they probably have no business running an Emby server.

• Like 1