Bout to kick Emby to the curb

clarkss12

clarkss12

Settled down to watch some recorded TV shows on my new Android box (Ematic Jetstream ultra).  Rawhide was first on my "Next Up TV" row, so I started to watch it.  The playback was terrible, jerky, and voice of of sync with the video.  After I got about half through it, I could not take any more, so I finished watching it on Kodi running on the same box.

As a normal trouble shooting procedure, I rebooted my box, and played the next up show (Death Valley Days), grrrr, same thing.  Next, I uninstalled and reinstalled the Emby app, same issue.  Switched to a different box, but almost the same specs, and it play perfectly.  OK, maybe a factory reset will "fix" it.  So, I did a factory reset, and, dang, it did the same thing.  Now I am ready to pack it up and take it back to Walmart.

Then, my brain finally came out of a comatose state, and I remembered I have had that issue before.  SOOO, I checked the settings under the "Playback Settings", sure enough, the "Deinterlace SD Content" was enabled.  I deselected it, and now my TV recordings are playing perfectly.....

I am sure this will happen again, because my memory is short.  I picked up this box about 3 days ago, but can't remember if I have played any SD content on it.  IS the "Deinterlace SD Content" enabled by default????  Who benefits with it enabled???  Most of my recordings are 480i TV recordings, and if that option is enabled, it plays heck with my playback.  I have run into this issue before, but forget to check that setting.

If that setting is set to enabled, perhaps it should NOT be enable by default.

Jdiesel

I believe that setting forces the server to do the deinterlacing rather than the device. I'm guessing is a "safe" default as the server is guaranteed to handle the deinterlacing while not every android box will. What are your server specs?

Edited by Jdiesel

You must have a very weak server machine?  Normally a transcode to de-interlace SD content is doesn't require much and, for most people, this is required to avoid interlacing artifacts in old TV shows.