Recorded video pausing during FF

clarkss12

clarkss12

Trying to catch up on my recorded NFL football games from yesterday.  As usual, I **step** though each play, so it doesn't take long to watch the game.  Using my Android devices (tested 3 different ones) each time I **skip** using my remote, there is a very slight pause, then a brief flutter before it starts to play.  This does NOT happen when I use the same procedure with the HDHomeRun DVR app.

I use the same procedure to **skip** through each play using both of my Windows 10 microPC, running the Emby Theater and it **skips** flawlessly, instantaneously....

My setup, Emby server running on Vorke V2 microPC running Windows 10.  Recording storage located on Synology NAS, both connected via Ethernet (not sure if the Vorke V2 has gigbit Ethernet).

Tested my new Google Certified Jetstream box (Amlogic S905x) with latest version of Emby.

Tested on my Mecool KM8 (Amlogic S905x) with Emby version .48

Tested on my Mecool M8S Pro L (Amlogic S912) with Emby version .45

They all three exhibit the same issue, of micro stutter (or micro pause), then flutter of the last frame before playing normally, after each **skip**.

Tested on Vorke V2 Windows 10 microPC running Emby Theater.  Played and **skipped** through each play flawlessly, instantaneously.......

Tested on 3 or 4 year old Tronsmart Ara X5 running Windows 10 with Emby Theater.  Again, played and **skipped** flawlessly and instantaneously....

WHY???

Almost certainly this is due to the remux that is involved to allow you to seek a .ts stream.

What happens if you use our convert feature to convert one of these to .mp4?

clarkss12

Almost certainly this is due to the remux that is involved to allow you to seek a .ts stream.

You are probably correct.  So, it that proves to be the case, what can be done?  Why do Ts files have to be messed with??

clarkss12

I am converting the Patriot vs Bears game from TS to Mp4, and it is taking quite awhile.  I am using the Freemake Video Converter Windows app to do the conversion.  While it is converting, I used the Mediainfo app to get the codec information of the TS file.  When the conversion completes I will attach the updated codec information for the Mp4 file.  I will then test the converted files on my different Android devices.

Patriots vs Bears recording Ts file.txt

clarkss12

@@ebr, now that you mentioned converting Ts files to Mp4, I remembered that the game I recorded last night was from the HDHomeRun Premium channels, in other words, it is **transported** to my devices already transcoded, but still in a TS package.

Since I used the HDHomeRun app to binge watch my games, I did not try the Giants vs Falcons game using the Emby app.  I just now, briefly watched some of that game using the Emby app, and it played flawlessly......... each **skip** was instantaneous.  

Here is the codec for that info......

Giants vs Falcons.txt

Edited by clarkss12

The codecs aren't the issue - it is the container.  .ts is a "Transport Stream" and it is designed to be a continuous stream of data.  It doesn't have any index information or anything else usually required for seeking.  Technically, it is an un-seekable container format.  Most players that allow seeking within it are doing so by simply making guesses as to where they should jump in the stream in order to reach a certain point.  These guesses will have varying degrees of accuracy.

The player we use on Android (built by Google for this platform) does not support seeking in .ts because they don't want to hack an "inaccurate" solution.  In the future, we may look to hack our own (as others have done) but we haven't attempted that yet (and that brings with it issues of keeping up to date with the core player code).

clarkss12

The codecs aren't the issue - it is the container.  .ts is a "Transport Stream" and it is designed to be a continuous stream of data.  It doesn't have any index information or anything else usually required for seeking.  Technically, it is an un-seekable container format.  Most players that allow seeking within it are doing so by simply making guesses as to where they should jump in the stream in order to reach a certain point.  These guesses will have varying degrees of accuracy.

The player we use on Android (built by Google for this platform) does not support seeking in .ts because they don't want to hack an "inaccurate" solution.  In the future, we may look to hack our own (as others have done) but we haven't attempted that yet (and that brings with it issues of keeping up to date with the core player code).

So, where does that leave me?

clarkss12

Have you tried using our convert media feature?

How does that work??  This only affects my football games.  I record/watch then delete.   2 scenarios, start watching after about an hour and while it is still being recorded.  Watch the game AFTER it has been recorded.  I delete the games after watching them. 

clarkss12

How would that help me if I record/watch and delete??  My server is a very low powered device, so transcoding on the fly, may not work very well.

CBers

How would that help me if I record/watch and delete??  My server is a very low powered device, so transcoding on the fly, may not work very well.

OK, fair enough.

clarkss12

I can't find that setting, is it in the server or client........ 

Spaceboy

I’m going to keep repeating this. Prior to the change you made recently all of my recorded tv files, which are in ts format, direct played to the ATV client and were skip-able. It is simply not true to say it doesn’t work

I can't find that setting, is it in the server or client........ 

It is a server process.  Right click anything in the web app.