AAC 5.1 to Dolby Digital 5.1 transcoding setting

Richard Branches

redaktorn2
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Exactly what version of the app are you running?

I am using version 1.8.58g registered (as it shows in my picture)

Richard Branches
6 minutes ago, ebr said:

If you have enabled DTS, then it is passing it through and the conversion option is going to have no effect on DTS.  So this would be a problem with the device and DTS.  Disable it and you should get proper conversion to AC3.

When the new option is OFF, the DTS option is ON and the DTS-HD option is OFF, DTS core passes through without problem, since I have the issue with DTS-HD on the device, I have to keep it OFF until Formuler devs find a fix.

With the above settings it was working with the stable version, but it is not working anymore on the beta version I'm on right now (1.8.58g).

Edited by Richard Branches

1 minute ago, Richard Branches said:

When the new option is OFF, the DTS option is ON

The convert option state is irrelevant with respect to DTS when you've enabled DTS support.

The new option is to convert unsupported audio to DD and, by checking the DTS box you have indicated that DTS is supported.

I just want to be sure you are clear on that...

5 minutes ago, redaktorn2 said:

I am using version 1.8.58g registered (as it shows in my picture)

Okay, you either need to side-load the newer beta or wait for Google to catch up.

redaktorn2
1 hour ago, Richard Branches said:

Yes, unfortunately, Google removed multichannel PCM support on Android 9 globally, except of course on the Nvidia Shield, that's why this option is now a must have for multichannel AAC/PCM streams on Emby for Android TV.

What device do you have?

Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA are also codecs not supported in the vast majority of Android TV devices except the Nvidia Shield, however, as far as I know, two devices are supporting DTS-HD MA besides the Shield, one is the Dynalink and the other is the Formuler GTV, the latter is somewhat buggy and the devs are working on a fix.

Hi Richard,

My TV (with Android app) is Sony KD-65XE9005.
My AVR is a Marantz NR1711.
My Android Boxes (I have several) are based on S905X3 chip (has four ARM Cortex-A55 CPU) with GPU Mali-G31 MP2.

As I mentioned above these Android boxes (and Sony TV) can manage Atmos 7.1 and DTS-HD MA (direct) when I use Kodi.
(Same hardware -just playing with Kodi app instead of Emby app)
The only thing Kodi cannot is to send LPCM signals because Android does not support that.
(But Kodi can transcode correctly to Dolby 5.1 (AC3).

Richard Branches
41 minutes ago, ebr said:

The convert option state is irrelevant with respect to DTS when you've enabled DTS support.

The new option is to convert unsupported audio to DD and, by checking the DTS box you have indicated that DTS is supported.

I just want to be sure you are clear on that...

Yes, I'm clear about that, but I went ahead and said it worked when it doesn't with the beta, it was working with the stable version though, I made more tests and this is what I found:

1) When the new option is OFF, the DTS option is OFF and DTS-HD options is OFF:

- Dolby Digital played directly.

- Dolby Digital Plus played directly.

- Dolby TrueHD played as PCM stereo.

- AAC played as PCM stereo.

- DTS was passing through directly without sound or videos played fast when they should have been transcoded to Dolby Digital.

2) When the new option is ON, the DTS option is OFF and the DTS-HD option is OFF:

- Dolby Digital played directly.

- Dolby Digital Plus played directly.

- Dolby TrueHD was transcoded to Dolby Digital.

- DTS was transcoded to Dolby Digital.

- AAC wasn't transcoded to Dolby Digital.

3) When the new option is ON or OFF and I select the DTS or DTS-HD options:

- The new option gets grayed out, BUT when I exit that screen and return, the new option gets available, however, that option should remain turned ON if I still want to transcode multichannel AAC/PCM without affecting DTS passtrough playback and to avoid going back and forth switching options.

- Another problem is DTS core doesn't passtrough correctly as it was with the stable version, I still have to keep the DTS-HD option OFF due to problems with the device with that codec

Richard Branches
16 minutes ago, redaktorn2 said:

The only thing Kodi cannot is to send LPCM signals because Android does not support that.

You can't send multichannel PCM if the TV is not eARC (enhanced Audio Return Channel) capable, even if it was capable, you can only passtrough multichannel PCM when a device with support is connected to any of the HDMI inputs, apps still don't have support as far as I know, if your Android boxes have Android 9, they most likely won't work with multichannel PCM.

redaktorn2
1 minute ago, Richard Branches said:

You can't send multichannel PCM if the TV is not eARC (enhanced Audio Return Channel) capable, even if it was capable, you can only passtrough multichannel PCM when a device with support is connected to any of the HDMI inputs, apps still don't have support as far as I know, if your Android boxes have Android 9, they most likely won't work with multichannel PCM.

Thanks - I know this.
Neither my Sony TV or the Android boxes support LPCM.
Theoretically the Android Box could actually send LPCM by HDMI to my AVR and then again HDMI to the TV.
(No need for eARC because it is direct and direct again)
So my wish/dream is that Android TV system will support LPCM in the future.

Richard Branches
7 minutes ago, redaktorn2 said:

So my wish/dream is that Android TV system will support LPCM in the future.

Android TV boxes have always supported PCM or LPCM, but they stopped supporting multichannel streams starting with Android 9, they just support LPCM/PCM stereo and who knows why Google did that and who knows if they are going to add support again in the future.

redaktorn

Hi Friends,

Just for info I started a thread in Testing.
And after sideloading the latest beta ver 1.8.62g it works to transcode 😀
(AAC 5.1 comes out from server as a streamed Dolby AC3 5.1)

Only problem left now is that ExoPlayer lacks codecs for DTS-HD MA and Atmos 7.1. 
Are there any possible solutions to that problem?

1 hour ago, Richard Branches said:

When the new option is OFF, the DTS option is OFF and DTS-HD options is OFF:

when they should have been transcoded to Dolby Digital.

Why would you expect it to convert to DD when you specifically set the option off?

But, as I asked previously, please post details in a thread in the test forum - not in this feature request.  Thanks.

36 minutes ago, redaktorn said:

And after sideloading the latest beta ver 1.8.62g it works to transcode 😀
(AAC 5.1 comes out from server as a streamed Dolby AC3 5.1)

Thanks for confirming.  That is my experience as well. 

37 minutes ago, redaktorn said:

Only problem left now is that ExoPlayer lacks codecs for DTS-HD MA and Atmos 7.1. 
Are there any possible solutions to that problem?

The version of the app you installed should decode those locally if you DON'T ask it to convert them to DD.

redaktorn

Hi ebr,

No - I cannot confirm that.

Actually now Emby still converts Atmos 7.1 to AC3 even that I unchecked that box in Emby settings.
Also after restarting the Android system it continues to convert even that the choice is unchecked.
The DTS choices makes no differrence in this case.

Also - the converting option in Emby settings comes and goes depending on Android settings.
If I manually change to support for Atmos in Android settings the convert choice in Emby disappear.
(And stays disappered until a restart with "auto" options instead)
So - there is some kind of connection between Emby reading the Android system settings and what choices I get in Emby.

The reason I try manual settings is that Android system "faulty" reports no support for Atmos.
"Faulty" becasue my AVR has Atmos support - but it is Android system ExoPlayer that has not.
(Which is probably the reason that Android "auto" setting removes the Atmos)

So - at least in my systems (Sony TV and Android Box based on S905X3 chip) there is no way to play Atmos 7.1.
But if it was - it makes no sense that transcoding of AAC to AC3 invokes if you can play or not the Atmos 7.1 and DTS-HD.
(So I find your statement above of "decode locally" a little confusing. Converting AAC has nothing to do with playing Atmos 7.1)

P.S. Keep in mind that Kodi app in the same system can play Atmos 7.1 and DTS-HD MA (direct)
So - it must be a missing codec in ExoPlayer. It is not a hardware problem of the Sony TV or Android box I use. 

All the Best
Erik Linder 

Screenshot_20201226-200802.png

Cleaned up Log.txt

redaktorn

Maybe we are not clear here in what we want?
We want an option to convert ONLY AAC 5.1 to AC3.
Not an option to convert everything/anything to AC3.

Just to make sure we speak the same language.

Richard Branches

It is working as I expected, though there is an issue with the new option that gets grayed out, please check my other post.

redaktorn
12 minutes ago, redaktorn said:

Hi ebr,

No - I cannot confirm that.

Actually now Emby still converts Atmos 7.1 to AC3 even that I unchecked that box in Emby settings.
Also after restarting the Android system it continues to convert even that the choice is unchecked.
The DTS choices makes no differrence in this case.

Also - the converting option in Emby settings comes and goes depending on Android settings.
If I manually change to support for Atmos in Android settings the convert choice in Emby disappear.
(And stays disappered until a restart with "auto" options instead)
So - there is some kind of connection between Emby reading the Android system settings and what choices I get in Emby.

The reason I try manual settings is that Android system "faulty" reports no support for Atmos.
"Faulty" becasue my AVR has Atmos support - but it is Android system ExoPlayer that has not.
(Which is probably the reason that Android "auto" setting removes the Atmos)

So - at least in my systems (Sony TV and Android Box based on S905X3 chip) there is no way to play Atmos 7.1.
But if it was - it makes no sense that transcoding of AAC to AC3 invokes if you can play or not the Atmos 7.1 and DTS-HD.
(So I find your statement above of "decode locally" a little confusing. Converting AAC has nothing to do with playing Atmos 7.1)

P.S. Keep in mind that Kodi app in the same system can play Atmos 7.1 and DTS-HD MA (direct)
So - it must be a missing codec in ExoPlayer. It is not a hardware problem of the Sony TV or Android box I use. 

All the Best
Erik Linder 

Screenshot_20201226-200802.png

Cleaned up Log.txt 127.93 kB · 0 downloads

I should mention also that unchecking the convert options stops the converting of AAC 5.1.
It goes back to be "direct" and ends up as PCM stereo.
(But it still converts Atmos 7.1 to AC3 with converting unchecked)

Dolby Plus and Dolby Atmos 5.1 works as normal and seems to be uneffected.
(Converting on or off - no difference)

So in total what the convert option does is:
AAC 5.1 becomes AC3 (with conversion on)
Atmos 7.1 becomes AC3 (on/off makes no difference)
DTS-HD 7.1 can still not be played (on/off makes no difference) 

redaktorn
5 minutes ago, Richard Branches said:

It is working as I expected, though there is an issue with the new option that gets grayed out, please check my other post.

It gets grayed out when you check the second DTS option.
The second option actually don't makes any sense to me. 
DTS-HD 5.1 plays OK with just the first option checkked.
DTS-HD 7.1 cannot be played at all in Emby with ExoPlayer (no matter what settings) 

Screenshot_20201226-181339.png

Richard Branches
5 minutes ago, redaktorn said:

It gets grayed out when you check the second DTS option.

It shouldn't get grayed out if I still want to transcode AAC/PCM but passing through DTS core and DTS-HD.

5 minutes ago, redaktorn said:

The second option actually don't makes any sense to me. 

I see the first option as DTS-HD on your screenshot but it appears to me as DTS only, looks like it's a translation mistake.

redaktorn
6 minutes ago, Richard Branches said:

It shouldn't get grayed out if I still want to transcode AAC/PCM but passing through DTS core and DTS-HD.

I see the first option as DTS-HD on your screenshot but it appears to me as DTS only, what gives?

It does not matter if it is HD.
First option is enough to play both (DTS and DTS-HD) as long as it is 5.1.
Problem comes when it is 7.1

But I agree with you.
DTS choices should have nothing to do with conversion of AAC.
Same as the Atmos 7.1 should not be converted as it obviously is now.
(But Emby has no Atmos choices - just Android settings, and they make conversion option disappear in Emby) 

Edited by redaktorn

The disabling is a leftover bug.

43 minutes ago, redaktorn said:

DTS-HD 7.1 cannot be played at all in Emby with ExoPlayer (no matter what settings) 

That is not true but your device has to support it for it to get full effect.  A Shield with proper receiver can play this.  That is the only combination though.

However, a lot of equipment can accept the DTS-HD stream and just extract the core from it and that is why there is a separate option for it.

50 minutes ago, redaktorn said:

Atmos 7.1 becomes AC3 (on/off makes no difference)

"Atmos 7.1" does not fully describe an audio track.  The audio can be either DD+ or TrueHD to also carry Atmos data.  If your equipment doesn't support TrueHD or DD+ then those will either be converted or decoded locally.  Also, some equipment may accept a TrueHD or DD+ track and convert it itself downstream.

Also, if transcoding is ever necessary, then that could cause conversion of this audio.  One of your screenshots (I think) indicates there was an error direct playing the item.

Again, all of this discussion should please  be moved to the testing area and NOT buried in this FR.  Thanks.