Questions about settings, updates, and features

EmbyShare

EmbyShare
I want to buy the lifetime membership but I can't justify it when:

1. none of the apps can natively handle all common subtitle formats, which means that I have to transcode video and that actually uses more bandwidth (not to mention electricity) than my well compressed HEVC files. Is there a way to watch with subtitles without getting new subtitles files or are the plans to support more types of subtitles? I know my devices can handle it because both the builtin video player (Smart TV), VLC, Kodi, and others can handle both the video and subtitles smoothly without having to demux files.

2. The Smart TV, Android phone, and Android TV apps are not the same. Less of an issue but the applications are not all the same format / layout but that wouldn't be a problem for me if I could customize them to all function the same. Is there plans to either make the apps uniform or allow the option?

Would any of these above issues be resolved with Emby Premiere?

Hi, Emby Premiere will not change this, but if you can point out some examples we'll be happy to respond to them.

These are two areas that we are constantly working on almost every day, better subtitles, and consistency among our apps. Thanks !

Have you tried using external SRT files for your subs?

That is one of the best supported subtitle formats and you can gather these subs for content you already have without touching your actual files.

They have many benefits to using subs this way.

EmbyShare

I did some digging around last night between my Android TV, Android Mobile, LG Smart TV, and Web based version.
-For subs: sometimes the files are .srt and it still wants to trasnsencode but it always wants to transencode any other format type I've tried, when on all of those devices (web based excluded) I can play the subs with other players without needing to transcode (burn-in) or demux the subs from the .mkv.

-For cross device consistency: It is really a ton of little things, such as on my Android TV version I have to click the back button two times to remove the Next Episode popup and don't see the hide option like I do on my LG TV, which only shows it one time. Or, when in seasons on LG TV I can't select an episode to fav/mark watched the way I can on Android TV. I mostly use Android TV and LG Smart TV, but when I do use Android and web based it has differences as well. It would be a lot of work, I'm sure to get your apps in line but it should have been done while developing each IMO, or if you could customize them some a user (such as myself) could at least get them to look the same if not work the same.

EmbyShare

Have you tried using external SRT files for your subs?

That is one of the best supported subtitle formats and you can gather these subs for content you already have without touching your actual files.

They have many benefits to using subs this way.

No, and I don't want to since I have no issues with Plex, Kodi, VLC, MPC, MX Player Pro, etc...using internal subs. I'd rather not demux 1000s of files, which seems to me an app issue not a user issue.

Unless external SRT files is something other than having the .srt/subs next to the file in the folders, or an option somewhere I'm not seeing in Emby?

I tried "Allow subtitle extraction on the fly" but it was way too slow an option.

Edited by EmbyShare

such as on my Android TV version I have to click the back button two times to remove the Next Episode popup 

This has changed in the current beta (to be released soon).  You can now dismiss it with a single click.  

I'd rather not demux 1000s of files, which seems to me an app issue not a user issue.

You don't have to de-mux anything.  Emby can even help you download srt subs for your content if you want.

External srt subs are definitely the most widely supported format.  The other apps you mention do not support on-the-fly transcoding of your media for other reasons.

Actually, it sounds to me like you may have other factors impacting your playback and needing transcoding as, even PGS internal subs are supported in the Android TV app - as long as you don't have some other unsupported factor requiring transcoding.

EmbyShare

This has changed in the current beta (to be released soon).  You can now dismiss it with a single click.  

You don't have to de-mux anything.  Emby can even help you download srt subs for your content if you want.

External srt subs are definitely the most widely supported format.  The other apps you mention do not support on-the-fly transcoding of your media for other reasons.

Actually, it sounds to me like you may have other factors impacting your playback and needing transcoding as, even PGS internal subs are supported in the Android TV app - as long as you don't have some other unsupported factor requiring transcoding.

-Looking forward to the app change.

-I do need to transcode for any reason with other apps, except with Emby...I don't want this point to be missed.

Also, I don't need Emby to download subs since my files have subtitles that are already matched and sync'd.

It could be the app isn't working correctly to identify that hardware playback works when I turn on subs for Android TV, but it wouldn't explain the issues on my other devices.

What I'm taking away from this is that Emby just doesn't have the ability to play back media with internal subs correctly out of the box like other media players, which is fine. I'll just keep waiting out the development since I have enjoyed the single database (vs Kodi) and better privacy policy (vs Plex), and over better media center capabilities (vs other players).

Thank you for your time, but if you have solutions that involve me using my internal subs as they are let me know.

EmbyShare

Hi, Emby Premiere will not change this, but if you can point out some examples we'll be happy to respond to them.

These are two areas that we are constantly working on almost every day, better subtitles, and consistency among our apps. Thanks !

Another example I noticed last night is on my LG TV the default selection is "Play All", which would be fine but it defaults back to playing the first episode of a series, rather than Next Up, like on my Android TV. Android TV give me the Next up in a different location.

• 4 weeks later...
EmbyShare

A little more feedback about subtitles since it already came up. The issue with playing back subtitles seems to be the emby app video player as I already pointed out with an external video player turned on it works but I also tested with Kodi using the emby addon and using addon default playback and that can also play internal subs just fine without having to transcode.
Although both are an option, both are clunky and far from ideal. I've just not been watching things with subs with Emby at least.

EmbyShare

What exactly is the subtitle problem?

That when using them it almost always requires transcoding the video rather than just playing the subtitles and my server isn't fast enough to encode in the same quality as the source.

I don't have to transcode if either I use Emby in Kodi or if I use an external video player, so it is the Emby app video player. On my LG 4K TV it doesn't have an issue using the native video player app with the subtitles either.

The subtitles are NOT external and in the MKV container.

That when using them it almost always requires transcoding the video rather than just playing the subtitles and my server isn't fast enough to encode in the same quality as the source.

I don't have to transcode if either I use Emby in Kodi or if I use an external video player, so it is the Emby app video player. On my LG 4K TV it doesn't have an issue using the native video player app with the subtitles either.

The subtitles are NOT external and in the MKV container.

In which app do they require transcoding?

Are these graphic subtitles (PGS)?

EmbyShare

In which app do they require transcoding?

Are these graphic subtitles (PGS)?

In the Emby apps for Android, Android TV, and LG TV (WebOS).

SRT files

EmbyShare

Hi, that's not true. None of those apps require transcoding for SRT. Let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks.

Thank you, when I have time I'll go through this but it would be better IMO to not assume I'm lying but to imply something else must be happening.

Oh, also, is there a good place to point out the differences in the apps, specifically UI differences?

Edited by EmbyShare

EmbyShare

Is there a good place to point out the differences in the apps, specifically UI differences?

Or just keep posting here? Seems like this thread is getting offtopic.

EmbyShare

I would suggest checking out our wiki on Transcoding:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Transcoding

It has links to wiki articles for the apps to go over what they all support. Thanks.

It is missing the LG TV (WebOS) but the Android TV (https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Android%20TV) Doesn't list codecs for video, which surprises me, otherwise the wiki does indicate I shouldn't be running into transcoding being triggered.

"Video — m4v,mov,xvid,vob,mkv,wmv,asf,ogm,ogv,mp4,webm" some of those would indicate a probable codec such as wmv but most of those are just containers.

Edited by EmbyShare

We'll get an article for LG going, but that is really determined on what your LG TV supports natively, and that may vary per LG  model.

Again, going over examples is always best. Please see my question in post #15. 

Thanks !

EmbyShare

We'll get an article for LG going, but that is really determined on what your LG TV supports natively, and that may vary per LG  model.

Again, going over examples is always best. Please see my question in post #15. 

Thanks !

Small update.

I tested again and it is just the LG TV. I haven't tested in a while and there has been both app updates and I've fiddled with my settings, so it could be one of those or I could have just made a mistake on the subtitle type for Android and Android TV, as I haven't tested in a while.

I'll make a proper post about the LG TV issue as you suggested when I have time, but it has to do with some combination of HEVC and SRT, because it works fine with AVC and SRT. The video also plays fine with HEVC and SRT (embedded) with the native video player app.

Edited by EmbyShare

It is missing the LG TV (WebOS) but the Android TV (https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Android%20TV) Doesn't list codecs for video, which surprises me, otherwise the wiki does indicate I shouldn't be running into transcoding being triggered.

"Video — m4v,mov,xvid,vob,mkv,wmv,asf,ogm,ogv,mp4,webm" some of those would indicate a probable codec such as wmv but most of those are just containers.

Hi.  Android TV codec support is dependent on the device upon which the app is running as well as what it is connected to and how.  So there really isn't a way for us to detail everything that is supported in any given situation.

EmbyShare

It could also be the audio. The server dashboard will tell you why it is transcoding.

But it doesn't transcode without subs, or do you mean the combo of the audio with subs turned on?

Hi.  Android TV codec support is dependent on the device upon which the app is running as well as what it is connected to and how.  So there really isn't a way for us to detail everything that is supported in any given situation.

The issue was on LG TV, not Android TV, which didn't transcode since I've updated the app and the OS to Android 8.