HDHomeRun recording on network

deanhatescoffee

deanhatescoffee

I have a couple of USB TV tuners attached to my PC, but I'm considering putting an HDHomeRun Quatro on my network with an external hard drive connected to the router. I thought this might be a good option because I currently have to use NextPVR, which is mostly fine, but sometimes there's a pretty good delay when watching live TV in Emby. I'm hoping that the delay is reduced if I use Emby's native DVR functionality with an officially supported tuner.

This might be a dumb question, but here goes - if I connect the HDHomeRun to my network router, rather than to the PC directly, will the PC still need to wake to tell the HDHomeRun what to do when a recording is scheduled? Or, by setting a recording ahead of time, does the PC tell the HDHomeRun what to record in advance, so that the PC doesn't need to wake when a recording starts?

I'm trying to not have to rely on my PC being awake, or waking from sleep, as I've had issues with wake-on-LAN not working. Currently, I just keep my PC running 24/7.

My guess is that the PC has to be on, because Emby has to tell the tuner what to tune in to, and then facilitate the actual recording to the network drive. So it looks like I just answered my own question. But if anyone has suggestions on how to do something similar to this, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hi, the machine running Emby Server will still need to wake, and on Windows we handle this automatically.